chapter 5- formalities

they vacated the complex, knowing the police would arrive any moment.

they slowly walked down the stairs after packing their equipment. trying their best to not arise suspicion.

the soldier put the bag in the car as she climbed in, texting the handler that the mission was a success.

(text messages)
mission complete- y/n

good job, head back to motel. plane will pick you up tomorrow- handler
__________________

she threw the phone out the window while the solider drove.

they arrived at the motel avoiding any police, thankfully.

she walked in and sat on the bed, removing her shoes and hair from the tight ponytail she had fixed it in.

the soldier stood there, like he was staring at nothing.
she noticed he hadn't changed since they left, or even changed since she'd met him but that was besides the point.

"so do you ever shower or is that like a perk of the whole super soldier thing?" she asked, breaking the silence.

he looked at her, wondering what to say.

"you don't talk much do you?" she kept prying, knowing she was tired of him being a secret to her.

he shook his head no. she got up and walked toward him, a little too close for comfort, or at-least his.

"can you at-least tell me your name?"
she stepped closer, their chests touching.

he shook his head and backed away.

she knew they had wiped his mind. maybe he really didn't know who he was, or he did know, an wanted to avoid the pain of being brainwashed again.

"it's okay. you don't have to tell me. i'm y/n. but you probably already knew that. considering karpov said my name right before you almost choked me to death."
she sat back down, striving to obtain a reaction out of him.

he looked at her, his eyes filled with remorse.

she returned the same look, moving to the bathroom to change into something more comfortable.

she could hear the soldier mumbling from the other side of the door as she changed.

she brushed her hair, took off her makeup, an changed into a matching set. a black velvet cami top, an black velvet shorts to match.

 a black velvet cami top, an black velvet shorts to match

she walked out, avoiding the soldiers gaze. she stuffed her belongings into a bag and laid down.

for awhile she stared at the ceiling, thinking about the man they killed, and his last words.

she could feel the awkwardness in the room as the soldier just sat there on the side of the bed.

she lifted her arms behind her, propping her up to see what he was doing.

he was sitting there, staring at the wall.

she glanced around, seeing a mini fridge in the corner below the TV.
she got up and walked over opening it.

"jackpot!"

it was filled with different snacks and alcohol.

"hey wanna have some fun?"
she asked him shoving a bottle of tequila in his face.

he looked at her puzzled.

"come on it'll be fun. i've only drank once and that was because some guard snuck it on the base, pleaseeeee!" she pouted.

he grabbed the bottle as she sat down next to him.
holding a shot glass from the cabinet out.

"just a few, then sleep"

he mumbled under his breath. she hadn't heard him talk much, but when he did he sounded broken. like a part of him had been shoved down, and that part was trying to escaped with every word.

she nodded her head as he poured into the glass.

_____________a few hours later___________
she was drunk, there was no doubt about it.

the soldier had a lot to drink, but one advantage of being a super soldier, you can get drunk.

"come on dance with me!!" she shouted as music played on the stereo.

"dance?" he asked, as it looked like all the gears in his head.

she nodded yes and pulled him up, swaying back and forth to the now slow music.

it took a while for him to relax but he did, putting his hands on her hips.

after a while she rested her arms behind his neck, her head on his chest.

"i um- i'm sorry." he grumbled under his breath.

she looked up at him, puzzled.

"for what?" she put her head back down, leaning against him.

"your neck, i never meant for it to go that far. ever"
he said with a regretful tone.

she stayed there for a moment, silent. her head on his chest, moving back an forth.

"it's okay. i've been through worse."
she reassured him before looking up at him again.

"you know my name. it's only fair for me to know yours"

he looked at her, an almost miserable look crossed his face.

"James. James Buchanan Barnes."

she smiled and rested her head back onto him.

"James. i like that."

she heard his breath hitch. she knew he was worried they would wipe him again,

"i won't tell anyone, i promise." she whispered before dozing off, even though she was standing up.

he noticed as he picked her up, laying her on the bed, covering her body with the thick comforter.

"goodnight y/n." he whispered, turning off the light.

"goodnight James." she quietly muttered before falling into a deep sleep.