Chapter 20- procedures

(Warning: blood, needles)

As doctors scurried around the room I counted down the minutes.

30
29
28
27
26
25
24
23
22, and at twenty two the man bursted through the doors, carrying a small girl, one I had known from the program.

He held her by her hair as she sobbed.

"She matches her blood type, use it."
The man threw her at the doctor I had seen before. I wanted to stop him, I needed to stop him. But I couldn't. I didn't have the strength to, and they saw that.

The doctor gently laid her down on a table, all limbs being restrained, even though she didn't fight. She had been here since she was 5. I had known her that long. I felt horrible. This little girl who had been forced here, who had once looked up to me would be hurt because they wanted me to live.

"Please don't do anything, just let her go."
I slurred my words talking, almost unsure if I had said anything. But from the looks of nurses I knew I had.
Even though they all ignored my wishes.

The doctor took her blood, one unit, two units, three and so forth. I knew she wouldn't last long. She was only seven.

She started to grow pale and clammy. Her face sweating, her hands relaxing. When the doctor was done she pulled out the needle, flicking the tourniquet off her arm.

I waited for them to say something, I needed to know she was still alive. That's when I saw the woman's face after talking her pulse. She was dead.

Tears started to well in my eyes. She died to save me, and the worst part is that she was forced to.
The older man walked over to the doctor, looking her in the eyes.

"Start the transfusion"

The doctor hesitated at first, but then compiled. She walked over to me, worry filled her eyes. I could tell she had never been here before, her eyes still radiated hope, unlike everyone else here. Even mine didn't.

She carried the bags filled with blood, grabbing an infusion needle with a long tube. She hooked a bag up to a IV pole, fixing the infusion pump.

She tied a rubber tourniquet around my wrist, as she flicked my hand trying to find a vein. I wanted to flinch my hand away, unfortunately the restraints making that impossible.

She found one, inserting the needle. My hand felt like it was on fire as the blood flooded my veins.
It was hot. Sweat started to drip from my forehead.
But I started to gain strength. Not enough for me to fight back. But enough for me to stay awake.

____________________________
After the infusion, I was fully awake.

She bandaged my hand as she removed the IV.
She was Stepping back the older man came forward.
He looked mad. I wouldn't know why though, I was the one stuck in this chair, not him.

He gave me a squinted glare. As he began to speak.
"Time to pay for leaving."

He looked at the doctor hovering over the control panel, and nodded. Another one stuffed a mouth guard between my teeth. The man backed up, as did everyone. The restraints tightened, leaving me no room to move.

I heard the whirring of the machine start, growing louder and louder.
The two plates of it lowering down beside my head.
I could feel the tiny needles prick into my hair as I struggled against it. Suddenly an electric shock flooded my body. Everything felt like it was on fire. My muscles straining, my eyes closed shut. I was screaming at the top of my lungs, even if it was muffled, I knew everyone could hear me.

But the worst of all, I felt my mind start to slip away.
Things from the program stated to fade. My best friends smile slowly leaving. My missions I had been on, all dimming.

Then all the sudden I felt him going to. James. The person who had actually cared about me, and protected me. His face, all the memories, his voice, him, growing faint.

The family I had just met, Wanda, Pietro, Natasha, Tony, and then Steve. All dying away. I didn't want to forget Steve. He was the first man I'd met who didn't hurt me besides James. But Steve was different than James, I felt a different love for him. A love that was fading faster and faster.

Until my mind was nothing but...blank.