Chapter 28- readjusting

I woke up to the smell of Bacon drifting through the air. I was far too tired last night to think about food. So instead, I went straight to bed. I hadn't felt the softness of a bed in so long. It almost felt wrong.

I took a deep breath, stretching my limbs as far as I could to wake up. I pulled the fluffy comforter off my body, swinging my legs over the side of the bed, looking at the clock on the glass nightstand.

"9:41 am"

I groaned internally. Even though HYDRA woke me up every day at five in the morning to train, I was still a human, and I hated waking up early. I lifted myself out of bed, still dazed with a headache, trying to cure it as I drank some water that sat beside my bed. Sitting the cup back down, I strode over to the closet, opening the door to see the subconsciously familiar room. Three walls filled all with clothes Tony had bought for me and the ones I had collected before I was taken. I found a small blue crop top with a black lace bra. Throwing a black cardigan over it. I matched the shirt with a black laced thong, and I threw a pair of blue jeans on, small feathered holes visible at the knees. Walking back into the main room, I caught a glimpse of my image in the mirror. My hair was tangled, the bags under my eyes dark, even my skin looked almost ghostly. I hadn't noticed how much had changed about my appearance in the past two years. Not only was I skin and bones, I just looked broken. Everything about me screamed damaged. I was scared of people's reactions to what I looked like. Yesterday they were so focused on helping me that they didn't take long to notice how bad I was.

I tried to push the negative thoughts behind me as I entered the kitchen. Steve was cooking at the stove as Wanda was chopping fruit. Pietro grabbed half a strawberry, but before he could take a bite, Wanda pulled the piece back to the cutting board with her powers. Tony and Pepper sat across from each other at the table; each had coffee talking about something she was typing on her computer. Probably about her taking over stark industries. Thor sat next to Nat on the couch, her head pressed into his side as he played with her hair, talking to the raven-haired man sitting across from him, whose name I still didn't know. Bucky sat at the bar across from Wanda, bickering with Sam, as usual. The first person to notice my presence in the room was Steve, instantly dropping the spatula to come talk to me.

"hey, how are you feeling?" he asked, worry evident in his tone. I nodded slowly before answering, "I'm alright, hungry, I guess."

He nodded, placing a hand on the small of my back to sit me next to Sam at the countertop bar. I pushed myself into the seat, playing with my fingernails in my lap. Sam and Bucky still hadn't noticed I was there, all too occupied with their brainless argument.

"I swear the seat just didn't work!" sam argued, taking a drink of his orange juice.

"oh, it worked. You just didn't want to move it!!" Bucky argued back, pointing a finger in Sam's direction.

"I swear to god it didn't work! It was an old car, shit breaks. you should know that, grandpa." Sam shot back, muttering the last part of his sentence. Buck's eyes widened as he went to stand up. A red energy surrounded his body and sat him hard into his seat.

"That was years ago; let it go." She scolded them like children, her thick Russian accent making it all the more threatening. I stifled a laugh, seeing Bucky huff before continuing to each his breakfast.

Sam finally looked in my direction, seeing me obviously sitting stiff, staring at nothing. He looked me up and down before turning to Steve, who was still cooking, 'hey man, I think you might need to get this girl a hamburger while you at it. Looks like she needs it."

I could tell he was trying to help, but the way he said it made me even more irritated. He went to take another bite as I flicked my hand, his fork engulfing in a blue mist before ripping from his grasp, slamming into the wall across the room, next to the raven-haired man. He hardly budged as he looked me straight in the eyes, then continued to read from his book. Sam's eyes widened as he grabbed another fork from the basket across the bar. I hid a smirk, looking in Steves's direction. He was filling a plate with the few different dishes he had cooked.