14

COntRol
Chapter 14

[Kaminari's POV]

I can't bring myself to look away from him. I know it's rude to stare but watching a person as headstrong as Aizawa, who's always shown a lack of emotion, breaking down in front of me was hard to not ignore.

I, of all people, know what its like to have eyes watching you.

More seconds pass that probably total to a minute - maybe more. But, at some point later, Aizawa clears his throat, dropping his hands to his lap. His tears were still covered by his bangs, averting his hooded gaze so he didn't have to look at me. I was glad, in a sense.

"Th..."

His voice breaks off, and he clears his throat.

"Th-There is no hard evidence that y-your quirk is out of control. I-I've... Wh-When you went out at night, your... expression was too familiar. A... A-An old student of mine..."

A heavy breath in, and out - he tries to control himself.

"He was around your age, K-Kaminari. He was... a great student. Smart. Bubbly. Br-Brilliant quirk!"

A shudder.

"It broke him when he started l-losing control."

My throat constricts and I don't risk taking in another breath.

"Course, he didn't skip a-any lessons like you did. But he did g-go outside to abuse his quirk." His voice had a bitter undertone at this point, intoxicated with self-loathing. "I caught him sneaking off one night, but I gave no damn about it. Thought it was some dumb training exercise he wanted to do for the licencing exams coming up the week after."

A sharp breath, and the pause caused my heart rate to spike.

"We f-found out... he was overstraining his quirk when it was too late. T... Took his life a day before the exam. Hell... Th-The whole school was shocked. We managed to keep it a secret b-but... it still f-fucking happened."

A sigh leaves both our lips, Aizawa's being more of frustration. Regret. Guilt.

"He must've had... some kind of trigger. I-I don't know he... he so suddenly did it! He... w-was fine the day before a-and I saw nothing wrong with him and..."

He snatches a deep breath, wiping his nose with his sleeve. But, at that point, the emotion had been driven out of his voice. Only a firm resolve remained.

"I am not ready to have another one of my students die under my watch."

I try not to growl, or shout at him, once hearing this. It hurts to know that my teacher thinks I need stupid quirk training. But it was annoying that I didn't get a say. I didn't need to be any further behind than I already was. I was... I... I don't need fucking help!

But I did. I do. I don't w-want to... turn it down again but... I h-hated feeling so low. So behind!

His story was horrific. A bad experience. Something no person should be going through. B-But, he can't control me! That should be my own job!

"I am not doing it," I state sternly, biting my lip to keep my voice down.

"You are, and this will not be under any further discussion."

This time, I bolt up straight, the restraints that kept my emotion back simultaneously breaking off.

"I'M NOT DOING THAT FUCKING QUIRK SHIT!"