02

M O R N I N G  T A S K S | 아침 작업

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

You were awakened by the artificial ringing tone of the alarm clock blabbering on your side upon the bedside cabinet. You released a deprecating huff and flipped your gaze straight at the partially lit -ceiling. Then your ear tickled you to divert your stare on the dancing timekeeper. Your hand landed on the mechanical time caller with a bump to cease the semi-necessary noise pollution.

Once it was all serene, you pushed your head back into the pillow and arched your body on the soft squishy mattress to face the other side. The blue curtains illuminated the room with a bluish hue. You blinked at the family photograph resting on the crate top. You were more or less a young teen at the period when it was captured, you in a red frock, standing by your grandma on a single-seater sofa, along with your mom and dad on either side. That was your little happy nuclear family.

It reminded you of your mom who spanked you almost every morning as you were a dicey late riser. Being punished in school was an everyday issue for you. Even your teachers loved you for what you were because you had a pretty kind nature that attracted the surrounding people with ease. It had some kinds of advantages yet disadvantages also.

You heaved a sigh. Pulling out of the bed, you scurried to the window and drew the curtains away. Sunlight slightly burnt on your refreshed skin cells as you noticed the newspaper delivery man dropped the daily rag and carton of milk on your doorstep. You slid open the window to peep out, "Mister! Please wait on!"

Grabbing the envelope and chocolate bar on your desk, you retired from the cubicle. Your feet created a tapping noise as you glided down the stairs, approaching the main door. You yanked it open to gaze at the slender figure wrapped in a quilted jacket, he had a bright smile on his lips.

The bare surface of your skin choked on receiving the cold sensations of winter months. You shove the thoughts away and greeted, "Good morning mister, here's your payment." You extended your arm, keeping the envelope covering the chocolate wrapper. The man forwarded to grasp it. A cracking noise of plastic crumbles arched his brows. He removed the paper envelope and to his utter surprise, it was a bar of medium-sized dark chocolate. He shared a questioning look at the girl in front of him. "What is it for?"

"It's a little gift from me. I know the pain and trouble of getting up early in the morning and paddling your bicycle in the lanes of the locality," you crinkled your nose while nodding in appreciation. The male gleered a gummy smile. "Why, thank you so much. Have a nice day!" He bowed and left to the gate. The sound of the ringing of a bicycle bell thronged in the atmosphere, gradually fading as time passed by.

The glorious smile of that quadragenarian man, early in the morning, made your day. You cheekily picked up the articles from the floor and got back in.

Brushing your teeth, taking a warm shower and tidying up your hair into a messy bun, you advanced to the kitchenette for preparing the morning meals.

You pondered that your grandma would be really bored having the same dishes every morning. So you decided to cook something different. You already took lessons from youtube last day on how to prepare shirataki noodles in home style.

The refrigerator door swung open, you bent in to seize the vegetables and sauces. Filling a strainer, you headed to the washer.

A knife chopped the slices out of potatoes and onions when the earphones played one of your favourite playlists. You hummed the lyrics and the hot frying pan was working on the oven. Collecting the sliced wedges, you poured them into the pan, tossing and sautéing them also checking the noodles dipped in boiling water side by side. The sizzling tone of the melting juicy cherry tomatoes emerged into the cuisine. An aroma of mixed veges with soya and chilly sauce pleased your nostrils.

You served them in a bowl, covered the lids, and unentangled the ribbons of your apron. Your shoes sauntered towards the corner where your grandma resided, slowly and cautiously. Lightly balancing the tray with one hand, you tried to unclasp the doorknob with the other.

In the midst of the gloominess inside, you could clearly see a weary body lying under the sheets. You placed the platter on the day stand and went to drag the curtains. The first ray fell on the visage of the old lady, unveiling its hidden glamour.

Your edges stretched for a soft smile as your eyes met the lightened face on the bed. You lightly shook her, cooing in a gentle voice, "Granny, wake up. The morning sun is waiting for you."

Her crinkled eyelids forced up and she struggled to look through the sudden brightness. She separated her lips to talk, "Y/N, oh I'm sorry. I slept a little late last night because I was waiting for you."

You plopped down beside her, helping her to sit up. She rested her spinal cord on a pillow and gaped back at you. "Granny, I asked you so many times not to stay up till so long. You should sleep in your scheduled hours. Why don't you listen to my words?"

She caressed your cheek, "How can I let go of the thoughts on my only grandchild? I can't lose you. Your parents aren't home, so I must look after you."

"No, it's actually the other way round. In the absence of eomma and appa, I'm supposed to take care of you. Now come on, finish your breakfast. You need to take your medicines too."

You brought the griddle near her and said, "Close your eyes. I have got a surprise for you."

She chuckled to shut her iris once again.

"1...2...3...tada! I made shirataki noodles for you!"

Your grandma was overjoyed at what she viewed. She clutched her palms together. "Oh my! Did you make this? Well, how does it taste?"

You twirled the chopsticks and pulled up a bunch of moodles, "Here, have a taste. Hopefully, you won't be disappointed."

She carefully engulfed the bite and began, "That was way too tasty for words! I can't believe that you cook so well. Have you taken up the job for a chef besides a waitress in your restaurant?"

"No granny, I just tried it from the internet. You know, the internet can teach you anything. You just need the urge."

She caressed your hair, "Hmm and you are impossible."

"I know. I'm unique," you winked.

After you food finished with her food and medications, you hopped inches apart from her bed with the empty utensils in your hands. "Miss Ailiseu will be here any minute! Take care! I'll ask her to prepare something dilute today for lunch since you had a lot of spices in the morning itself," you giggled and scooted out.

.........................

Walking down the steps, you were busy fixing your hair. All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. You knew the person on the other side of it beforehand so without any hesitations, you opened the door.

"Hello, Miss Ailiseu! Good morning. I've already fed her a really cool breakfast. Hope you know what to do next."

The well known young woman showered a beam, "Sure. And good luck with your work."

You plucked the keys and strolled out, jingling the keychain playfully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone. ^^

Here's the next update.

Don't forget to comment your thoughts on this. Any guesses about how they're gonna meet? They- you already know whom I'm talking about right? Tell me hehe