20

P R O T E C T |보호하다

P R O T E C T |보호하다

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The sky represented a buff calico, gathering all the clouds at its lower layers. Cars honked, shoes scuffed upon the pavements, the population of citizens busied themselves in their respective errands. From the head to toe, the entire property of John Laurent was utterly disturbed. His scrappy mind was somehow trying to adapt a scrupulously clean way of thoughts, only the notion to rescue his family and retire the nation as soon as granted if fate permitted of course. Under the shadow of his delicate hat, his plain face was illuminated at the thoughts of his beautiful pure children. A light smile conquered his cheeks while he was walking and he mumbled, "Finally, I'll get my family out of that mess. Finally, we will breathe afresh."

A while later, his feet halted at the sight of a huge mansion with a fountain adorning the centre of the front lawn. Nobody could ever imagine that behind the veil of that paradise was situated the land of distressful sins, all dark, sinister and opposite to the definition of beauty.

John engulfed a deep breath before stomping his pair of heels to the interior. As soon as he stepped in, his steadfast gaze was directed towards a sketchy remark, "Mr Laurent, please head to our boss's cabin, now!"

Sweat oozed out of his glands as John went on through the exclusively secured hallway. His rhythm seemed unfamiliar and he was both nervous and enthusiastic as hell. Nervous because he doubted if it was because of some unknown warning also excited since it was the very first time when he was going to have direct eye contact with the unseen so-called 'boss' of the gang. If it was really going to be that exciting or not was still an unexplainable mystery. Arriving at the door to the main office, he was welcomed by a watchman who yanked the door open for him.

John slowly trudged inside, into the absolutely quiet aura which grazed the walls of the room. His hands became sweaty as he raised his etched brows at the person who was smoking while looking outside the window oppositely.

rather than towards the trembling dancing lights inside John's iris. The burning odour of cigar blew to his nostrils that refrained him from keeping his eyes widespread. Blurred oxygen choked his pharynx for which little coughs escaped his parted lips over his fists.

"Welcome back, Mr Laurent. I've been waiting to meet you for so long. I'm glad that you're finally here," an ominous simper lingered at the speaker's edges when he rotated on his chair to face the other.

John bent his spine into a right angle as he spoke, "The pleasure is all mine, sir. I feel lucky that I've got the honour to see you in person unlike most others out here."

"Maybe not so lucky. But you definitely have certain charms for which I've decided to free you from these disgraceful bonds," he said, scraping the lighted end of the cigarette into an ashtray coaster.