iii: ariana gets sorted

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter iii

(prisoner of azkaban)

ariana gets sorted

╚═══════════════╝

They didn't talk much during the remainder of the journey. At long last, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station, and there was a great scramble to get outside; owls hooted, cats meowed, and Neville's pet toad croaked loudly from under his hat. It was freezing on the tiny platform rain was driving down in icy sheets.

"Firs' years this way! called a voice. Harry, Ron, Ariana, and Hermione turned and saw the gigantic outline at the other end of the platform, beckoning the terrified-looking new students forward for their traditional journey across the lake.

"All right, you three? Hagrid yelled over the heads of the crowd.The three others waved at him but had no chance to speak to him because the mass of people around them was shunting them away along the platform.The four followed the rest of the school along the platform and out onto a rough mud track, where at least a hundred stagecoaches awaited the remaining students, each pulled by horse looking things.

They were completely fleshless, their black coats clinging to their skeletons, of which every bone was visible. Their heads were dragonish, and their pupil-less eyes were white and staring. Wings sprouted from each wither- vast, black, leathery wings that looked as though they ought to be on giant vats. Standing still and quiet in the gloom, the creatures looked eerie and sinister. No-one commented on these weird creatures, so Ariana let it slide and climbed into the carriage.

The coach smelled faintly of mould and straw. Ariana felt better since the chocolate, but still weak. Ron and Hermione kept looking at them sideways, as though frightened they might collapse again. 

As the carriage trundled toward a pair of magnificent wrought iron gates, flanked with stone columns topped with winged boars, Ariana saw two more towering, hooded dementors, standing guard on either side. A wave of cold sickness threatened to engulf her again;she leaned back into the lumpy seat and closed her eyes until they had passed the gates. The carriage picked up speed on the long, sloping drive up to the castle;Hermione was leaning out of the tiny window, watching the many turrets and towers draw nearer. At last, the carriage swayed to a halt, and Hermione and Ron got out. 

As Harry stepped down, a drawling, delighted voice sounded in his ear.

"You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted?"

Malfoy elbowed past Ariana to block Harry's way up the stone steps to the castle, his face gleeful and his pale eyes glinting maliciously.

"Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose jaw was clenched."Did you faint as well, Weasley? said Malfoy loudly.