v: ariana is given a quest

╔═══════════════╗

chapter v

(the lighting theif)

ariana is given a quest

╚═══════════════╝

ARIANA DID NOT LET PERCY'S PARENTAGE HINDER THEIR GROWING FRIENDSHIP. Unlike Annabeth who acted like a different person around the boy, Ariana stayed by his side. She knew what it was like to be judged because who her father was, and she knew Percy was going through something similar.

But other campers steered clear of Percy as much as possible. Cabin eleven was too nervous to have sword class with him after what he'd done to the Ares folks in the woods, so his lessons with Luke became one-on-one.

Annabeth still taught him Greek in the mornings with Ariana, but she seemed distracted. Every time Percy said something, she scowled at him, as if he'd just poked her between the eyes.

After lessons, she would walk away muttering to herself: "Quest ... Poseidon? ... Dirty rotten ... Got to make a plan ..."

Even Clarisse kept her distance, though her venomous looks made it clear she wanted to kill Percy for breaking her magic spear.

Everyone was talking about the Hellhound. Never to Percy's face, and they had stopped doing it around Ariana after she snapped at some Ares campers. The attack had scared everybody. It sent two messages: one, that Percy was the son of the Sea God; and two, monsters would stop at nothing to kill him. They could even invade a camp that had always been considered safe.

ONE NIGHT, she had her most confusing dream yet.

She was standing on a beach in a storm. The wind blew her hair in her face, even when she tucked it behind her ears.

There was a city behind her. Not New York. The sprawl was different: buildings spread farther apart, palm trees and low hills in the distance.

The weirdest part of the dream was the familiar black messy hair standing in front of her. He watched two men fighting, about a hundred yards down the surf. They looked like TV wrestlers, muscular, with beards and long hair. Both wore flowing Greek tunics, one trimmed in blue, the other in green.

"Percy?" Ariana called, and he turned around, his eyes wide in surprise when he spotted her."

"Ariana? Why are you in my head?"

"Why are you in mine?"

She ran towards him with difficulty, as the wind was pushing her back with force. She finally reached him.