xxiv: ariana nearly loses her soul

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter xxiv

(prisoner of azkaban)

ariana nearly loses her soul

╚═══════════════╝

ARIANA HAD RARELY BEEN PART of a stranger group. Crookshanks led the way down the stairs; Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron went next, looking like entrants in a six-legged race. Next came Professor Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his own wand, which was being pointed at him by Sirius. Ariana, Harry and Hermione brought up the rear.

Getting back into the tunnel was difficult. Lupin, Pettigrew, and Ron had to turn sideways to manage it; Lupin still had Pettigrew covered with his wand. Ariana could see them edging awkwardly along the tunnel in single file. Crookshanks was still in the lead. Ariana went right after Sirius, who was still making Snape drift along ahead of them; he kept bumping his lolling head on the low ceiling. Ariana had the impression Sirius was making no effort to prevent this.

"You know what this means?" Sirius said abruptly to Harry and Ariana as they made their slow progress along the tunnel. "Turning Pettigrew in?"

"You're free," said Harry.

"Yes..." said Ariana. "But I'm also -- I don't know if anyone ever told you -- I'm your godfather."

"Yeah, I knew that," said Harry.

"And Ariana, you know I'm your father. Well... your parents appointed me your guardian," said Sirius stiffly. "If anything happened to them..."

Ariana waited. Did Sirius mean what she thought he meant?

"I'll understand, of course, if you want to stay with your aunt and uncle," said Black. "But... well... think about it. Once my name's cleared... if you wanted a... a different home...The three of us could be a family- and maybe Remus would move in with us..."

"What -- live with you?" Harry said, accidentally cracking his head on a bit of rock protruding from the ceiling. "Leave the Dursleys?"

"Of course, I thought you wouldn't want to," said Sirius quickly. "I understand, I just thought I'd --"

"Are you insane?" said Harry, his voice easily as croaky as Sirius's. "Of course I want to leave the Dursleys! Have you got a house? When can I move in?"

Sirius turned right around to look at him; Snape's head was scraping the ceiling but Sirius didn't seem to care.

"You want to?" he said. "You mean it?"

"Yeah, I mean it!" said Harry.

Sirius's gaunt face broke into the first true smile Ariana had seen upon it. The difference it made was startling, as though a person ten years younger were shining through the starved mask; for a moment, he was recognizable as the man who had laughed at Harry's parents' wedding.