x: ariana is mad

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter x

(prisoner of azkaban)

ariana is mad

╚═══════════════╝

SHE SLID A CONSIDERABLE WAY DOWN what felt like a stone slide, then landed on cold, damp earth. She stood up, looking around. It was pitch dark. She heard a thump beside her and knew Harry had arrived. He held up his wand, muttered, "Lumos!" and saw that they was in a very narrow, low, earthy passageway. Ariana raised the map, tapped it with the tip of her wand, and muttered, "Mischief managed!" The map went blank at once. She folded it carefully, tucked it inside her robes, then, heart beating fast, both excited and apprehensive, they set off.

The passage twisted and turned, more like the burrow of a giant rabbit than anything else. Ariana tried to get Harry to race with her, but he just shook his head and glared at her. They hurried along it, stumbling now and then on the uneven floor, holding their wands out in front of them.

It took ages, but Ariana didn't really mind. After what felt like an hour, the passage began to rise. Panting, Harry ran to catch up with her.

Ten minutes later, they came to the foot of some worn stone steps, which rose out of sight above him. Careful not to make any noise, Harry and Ariana began to climb. A hundred steps, two hundred steps, maybe even a million? She lost count as she climbed, watching her feet...then, without warning, her head hit something hard.

"Ow," she muttered. "Harry watch ou-"

His groan told her he hadn't heard her warning.

It seemed to be a trapdoor. Ariana stood there, listening. She couldn't hear any sounds above them. Very slowly, she pushed the trapdoor open and peered over the edge.

They were in a cellar, which was full of wooden crates and boxes. Ariana climbed out of the trapdoor, quickly followed by Harry and replaced it -- it blended so perfectly with the dusty floor that it was impossible to tell it was there. Ariana crept slowly toward the wooden staircase that led upstairs. Now she could definitely hear voices, not to mention the tinkle of a bell and the opening and shutting of a door.

Wondering what she should do, she suddenly heard a door open much closer at hand; somebody was about to come downstairs.

"And get another box of Jelly Slugs, dear, they've nearly cleaned us out --" said a woman's voice.

A pair of feet was coming down the staircase. Ariana pulled Harry behind an enormous crate and waited for the footsteps to pass. She heard the man shifting boxes against the opposite wall. She might not get another chance --

Quickly and silently, Ariana dodged out from her hiding place and climbed the stairs, tugging Harry along; looking back, she saw an enormous backside and shiny bald head, buried in a box. Ariana reached the door at the top of the stairs, slipped through it, and found themselves behind the counter of Honeydukes -- they ducked, crept sideways, and then straightened up.