Chapter 6: Questioning

Yugi made his way to school through the deserted streets. He took his time as he went since he had enough to spare. He saw the lot that he and his group of friends hung out in before they were separated.

He saw the stream that his grandfather and he had picnics at. He saw many things that brought back beautiful, happy memories that, if only for an instant, allowed for him to escape this harsh world where beautiful and happy things were nonexistent.

Memories like tight, warm, and loving hugs from his parents.

Sitting next to the fireplace beside his grandpa, doing homework as the winter wind roared outside, outside of their cage of safety.

Making a new friend once he completed that puzzle in which his grandfather bet his life that he wouldn't solve. It was funny, getting his reaction once he showed his grandfather. It was strange at first as well, having to live with a second being within him.

But he got used to it, and eventually began to enjoy the constant company. He never had to be afraid of being alone, he never had to worry about having no one to talk to, and because the second being was so understanding, he was never afraid of anything the two spoke about.

He stopped finally, collapsing under the tree he passed on his way, sighing and closing his eyes as he hugged his knees into his chest.

Yami appeared beside him, sitting right next to him as well.

"Aibou?" He spoke, breaking the silence that had formed between them both when Yugi locked himself in his own thoughts.

Yugi lifted his gaze to meet Yami's transparent, yet deep and loving crimson eyes.

"Yes?" He asked.

"You are troubled." Yami said simply, tilting his head, "Tell me why."

Yugi shrugged, slowing his pace. It no longer mattered whether he was late or not for school. With the little number of students they had, no one cared any longer who attended or who didn't.

Yugi noticed the same change with his grandfather.

"Well...I just miss the old days." Yugi said simply, looking down, "I miss what life I had before all of this."

Yami listened intently, floating along with him, nodding as Yugi went on.

"The days when people laughed and cried, without fear holding them back." He muttered, not looking up, "When people were truly free from all emotional and even physical bonds."

Yugi looked at Yami, heartbreak in his eyes.

"It's not right, Mou Hitori." He said, "None of this is right. You know it. You and I both do and we need to do something."

Yugi went silent for a moment, hugging his knees into his chest and nuzzling them. He and Yami both also knew that they were powerless to do anything to stop this nightmare. It wasn't like they ever had the courage to do so anyway.

Yugi looked down again, his eyes finally watering again. He couldn't hold it in any longer. Yami made sure to swap bodies with him so no one could tell he was crying and no one could suspect a thing.

Yami now sat under that tree, reaching over to hold his Aibou close as Yugi freely cried, knowing that he was safe from anyone knowing anything about his emotion.

"It's alright, Yugi..." Yami whispered lovingly into his ear as he hugged him tightly, "...I promise. Time will restore itself. Justice will prevail. I know it will. I just know it."

Yugi shook his head, shaking from his sobs as he buried his face into Yami's shoulder. Yami rested his hand on the back of Yugi's head and Yugi nuzzled him weakly, sniffling.

H-How do you know? Yugi asked, looked up at Yami will puffy and teary eyes that perfectly reflected the pain and fear Yugi felt deep within him.

Yami wanted to look away, but he had to hold his gaze. As of right now, he was the one who had to stay strong for his only loved one. He was going to, regardless of what he knew.

When he looked at Yugi however, in the state he was in especially, he only saw nothing but painful reminders that he was losing him rapidly to that "disease" that took over everyone else.

And no matter what he was going to try, eventually, Yugi would have to succumb to the disease. Everyone else did.

Everyone will.

Yami held Yugi closer, pulling him back into a tight hug and nuzzling into the hollow of his Aibou's neck. He could feel his own teaars coming to his eyes as Yugi cried against him.

However, he didn't let them escape from his eyes. He didn't dare have the mindset to do so. He was going to be the braver one. The protector.

The one who wasn't afraid to do something, anything to save the one person he loved more than anyone else.

He had made it his job, and he was going to go through with it. No matter what happened. He knew what was going to happen if Yugi came under with the illness.

He'd go into one of those facilities. He'd be tied down and trapped in a single room. Doctors would come in and out with tons of medications, testing him. Testing his sanity. Removing any memories that had been linking to the source of what was causing his virus.

Yami knew exactly what the source was. He knew it better than anyone else did. He perfectly what it was.

Better yet, who it was.

He was going to protect Yugi. He already promised himself that years ago. So far, he didn't let that promise slip away from him. But every day, it got harder and harder to keep Yugi safe.

Every day, people heard more stories about a young high school student. He was Sixteen Years old, but he still had an imaginary friend that he brought with him everywhere he went.

He called the person by a mere single name and loved to speak about this person. This concerned some people, but the boy didn't seem to notice. He was too busy in his made up bestie to truly become aware of everything.

Yami knew these stories were going around. He knew it from simple common sense. No one could see this imaginary friend that supposedly lived in a puzzle necklace around the boy's neck. He refused to take it off, making everyone even more concerned.

Yami knew perfectly well who this child was. He knew perfectly well who was leading this child into Insanity.

Him.

He was driving his Aibou, literally, insane.

---------------------------------------

Author's Note:

UUUUUUUUUH OOOOOOOOOOOH.

Things are gonna go downhill for Yugi from here, folks. Believe me, I know. For I am the writer and I know what shall happen and how it shall end up.

So, yeah. Shiz is about to go down if it hasn't already done so. I hope you are enjoying this!

PLUS, I am very sorry that I have not been able to update this book for months at a time. I have been going through hell in school and I just haven't really gotten around to writing this book for you guys...sorry again.

But anyway, I would LOVE to see some comments and votes! Hopefully, I haven't lost any of my readers...

...but I probably did. (Comment on this passage if you've returned! You get a cookie!)

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

I LOVE YOU, EPIC UPRISINGS!!

STAY EPIC~!!