Chapter 1: Never In A Million Years

Based on Suzanne Young's "The Program"

-------------------------------------------------

Domino City was a ghost town. A place far behind in life, luxuries, and debt. No one had jobs because of the loss of government fundings to keep places of work open.

Those who DID get through every day, just barely got through. No one had the money to keep things clean, to buy clothing, to buy food, to buy clean water, or to even go to a good school.

Domino City had hit a pit of depression that lasted for more than half a century.

Then, out of the ashes came a new era. First, it started with the debt of the entire city being resolved to a minuscule amount compared to what it once was. A wave of relief washed over the entire city, calming the grueling depression that hit for years and years.

Then, the medications increased ten-fold. Doctors and health scientists were able to use what remained of test samples of sicknesses to make cures to diseases that had, over time, become contagious. Domino City was back on its feet and was climbing quickly through the ratings.

Among these sicknesses was the Insanity Virus.

During the depression, people would grow to have so little that they would grow desperate. So desperate, in fact, that they would stoop so low as to kill their own family and friends or even other people for their goods.

It was noted that after about a month, someone close to them would catch the "virus" making them even MORE desperate and doing the same thing, causing the chain to go on.

And this sickness seemed to swiftly sweep all through Asia and Europe, rapidly spreading to Japan and the Americas. It was getting hard not to hear murder stories on the news or in newspapers wherever you went.

However, they came up with a solution almost as quickly as possible. This solution consisted of a series of long treatments and longer isolation in which the doctors would lock you in a room under restrain and they would visit daily and would treat you with medication drugs that were designed to slowly wear away the memories that they believed were linked to the source of Insanity.

And It really did work. It was never believed not to.

But there were a couple flaws in the system that no one could ignore.

No one knew exactly were the memories went once they were removed. No one exactly knew if they were just gone or if they went on to be recorded or to be passed on to someone else. Not a single word was spread about what happened inside and the doctors were smart to regulate rumors to occupy the public, but to not actually give out information regarding the truth.

The other flaw was the state that the people came back.

Don't get me wrong, the people who came back were downright hunky dory. They were perfect and not a single trace of insanity can be found on them. The only thing is that occasionally, the memories removed were also memories of family and friends.

Therefore, when they would return from their treatment, they would render that person (brother, sister, mother, father, etc) as a stranger.

This bothered everyone. Although it did work, it was too apparent to ignore.

And it especially bothered Young adults and Teens. They were worked up about how this worked in taking memories and how their own friend not remembering them upon returning. They tried fighting against it, but the government stopped them in their tracks and nothing could be done.