Chapter 29

The young woman walked into the Elpherton shopping centre, her black hair braided thickly down her back, the tip brushing against her backside, shiny and silky. Her grey eyes, more blue today, scanned the area as she walked. She had work soon, but at the moment all she cared about was...
"Hey, Tia! Over here!" The woman heard, and turned her head almost elegantly, her plait swaying, and a smile came to her lips as Tia spotted Kyah and Tamara to the side of the food court, her long legs carrying her quickly. She sat down next to her two friends, taking a chip from Kyah's box of food in front of her.
"Hey, thanks for waiting for me before ordering." Tia said, eating the chip.
"Sorry, I was hungry. And those are mine, get your own." Kyah said. Tia grinned.
"One measly chip, you'll live." Tia said, looking around at the restaurants. The lines weren't too long at most of them, so she turned to her friends, "Could you mind my stuff? I'll be right back." Tia stood up and moved to her favourite shop once her friends had nodded. Se ordered herself her usual lunch of air fried lotus root, onion rings and sweet potato chips, paid and stood in line to receive her order, then moved back to the table just as her other friend Laura turned up.
"How's things?" Tia asked Laura as she sat down, lifting a thick onion ring to her mouth.
"Just had a driving lesson. Dad really needs to chill." Laura said. Tia smiled.
"If I were in the car, I'd be panicking too." Tia taunted. Laura's eyes flashed.
"I'm not that bad! And I go for the test next month after my birthday." Laura said. Tia swallowed her food.
"Don't sweat it. I bet you'll nail it." Tia said. Laura sighed.
"I wish I was as confident as you. You have nothing to worry about." Laura said. Tia shrugged.
"I'm a good guesser." Tia said. All her friends just nodded. They knew her uncanny knack of knowing things before others, and her skills in guesswork. When they were younger it impressed them, now they just went with the flow. Tia ate and listened to her friends, keeping her mind focused on them. Once they had finished eating, Tia stood up.
"I have to go, but I'll see you guys on Monday." Tia said, then waved goodbye as the girls at the table said their goodbyes and waved back, going back to what they were talking about. Tia smiled to herself as she walked first to Apothika, wanting to see Josiah.
"Hey, Tia!" She heard, and looked around at Josiah, who stepped out from behind the counter. Tia beamed back at him.
"Hey Josiah. How're things?" She asked as she hugged him.
"All good. Another wonderful Saturday. You?" He asked.
"All cool. Where's Ngaire?" Tia asked.
"She's at home with Micah. My turn to run the store." Josiah said, moving back towards the counter.
"How is the little guy? Walking yet?" Tia asked, moving towards the counter too, leaning against it as he moved behind it.
"Nearly. You should come over and visit." Josiah replied, eyes flicking to the doorway to keep an eye out for customers.
"Tomorrow, after I finish my homework. Will you be at circle tonight?" Tia asked.
"We'll both be there, hopefully Micah behaves himself." Josiah said. Tia smiled.
"If he doesn't, his godmother will have something to say about it." Tia said. Josiah laughed.
"Sounds like a plan." He said. Some people entered the shop then, so Tia waved goodbye and left, heading to Living Energies. In the last few years, after her initiation, Tia had spent as much time as she could at Living Energies, and when she was old enough she got a part time job at the shop.
"Nearly late." Jaina called out as Tia entered the shop. Tia grinned and put her bag in the back. She could never hide from Jaina.
"I stopped by Apothika. Josiah says hi." Tia said. He hadn't actually said it, she knew that, but she also knew that he had thought it, and would've said it had he not been busy. Tia moved over to the clothes rack and started sorting the cloaks and dresses by size.
"Are they coming tonight?" Jaina asked, looking at the entrance to the store, watching some people walk past, but knew they wouldn't enter. If anyone did enter they'd both feel it.
"Yes, they'll be there with Micah." Tia said. Jaina smiled.
"That boy of theirs is getting big. I can't believe he's nearly a year old." Jaina said. Tia nodded and glanced at Jaina between the clothes.
"Oh yeah. The year has gone fast. I'll be starting Year Twelve before we know it." Tia said. Jaina shook her head.
"Get through Year Eleven first." Jaina said. Tia smiled.
"Oh I will, don't worry. Then university. Then...I don't know. I can't see that far anymore." Tia said. Jaina pushed her long hair back and looked at Tia.
"Still? Usually your foresight is strong. What's changed?" Jaina asked. Tia pushed her own hair back and looked at Jaina, shrugging.
"I don't know. Three weeks ago it was fine and then...during one of my scrying exercises things just clouded over. I couldn't see anything past high school. I'm still hoping to go to university, become a nurse too, or paramedic, but I couldn't see any of that. I saw that Mum lives to a ripe old age, as do you. But me...Maybe I can't divine for myself anymore." Tia shrugged again and moved over to the books, pulling a rag from her pocket and dusting the shelves. Jaina watched the young woman standing near her, wondering when she'd grown up.
"I can feel you are concerned. What's the matter?" Tia asked, not looking at Jaina. Jaina turned her gaze back to the crystals, counting each type.
"It's not like you to be unable to scry." Jaina said. Tia shook her head.
"I can still scry, but just not for myself. I think my future is changing, becoming indeterminate, something happening soon, perhaps." Tia said, almost vaguely. Jaina lifted her head from counting to look at Tia, seeing her gaze seem to cloud over.
"I'll scry before the circle, that way we can discuss things afterwards if you like." Jaina said. Tia nodded absently.
"That sounds good." Tia said, glancing at the entrance. Jaina looked as well, but no one was there. Tia moved to the counter mere seconds before a group of teenage girls came in. Tia smiled and welcomed them in, answering all of their questions effortlessly. Jaina watched, a smile on her lips, and went back to her work. The child had grown up well, and it made her proud. True, she was a little concerned about the scrying, only three weeks ago Tia had seen children in her future, a strong witch husband. Now she couldn't see anything. Jaina tried to push it from her mind, and Tia moved in her direction whilst showing the customers what they needed. Tia touched Jaina's arm.
"Stop worrying, you'll get more grey hair." Tia said, smiling. Jaina's hand flew to her blonde hair.
"Cheeky." Jaina said, and Tia chuckled. It was a running joke between them that Jaina was a little vain when it came to her hair. Tia moved to the counter again to ring up the customer's purchases, and the afternoon passed pleasantly with friendly banter between the two friends.