Chapter 16

Susan had left for work before Tia had woken up, so when the girl finally stirred it was past nine and she could feel her mind friends on the edge of her consciousness. Padding into the kitchen Tia made herself some breakfast and sat in the lounge to watch some cartoons. She knew she was getting too old for them, but she loved them.
"I think we should go to Living Energies as soon as we can. Something feels wrong so once I get the all-clear we should go." Susan said. Tia looked at her.
"Is something wrong?" She asked.
"Maybe not, but Jaina has suggested we wait. Ngaire is there to talk to her. I went to see Jaina, who said to wait." Susan said. Tia nodded and washed her breakfast things and then got her English homework and started on that as the others watched television. After about twenty minutes Susan stood up.
"Get ready to go, we must go at once. Jaina sounds worried." Susan said. Tia obeyed without hesitation, going into her room and getting dressed. Once her long hair was tied in two plaits down her back she grabbed her bag and went out the front door, locked it behind her, and hurried down the street. Tia's palms tingled as she thought about how the magick might feel.
"I've told Jaina we're coming. Susan works most weekends so maybe you can meet Jaina each Saturday, or she can come to our place." Susan said.
"I don't know if we should do things at home. Maybe Mum and Jaina could meet, hire her as a tutor, and I go to her place twice a week, or once a week and then to the shop to study." Tia responded silently so as to not appear like she was talking to herself. The others were holding back, but Susan walked alongside Tia, this time dressed in a simple dress, her skin almost gleaming in the sunlight, sandals silent on her feet, her black hair tied neatly back. Tia glanced at her as they crossed the lights, and fought the urge to grin. Susan looked at her.
"What's so funny?" She asked. Tia kept walking.
"Oh, nothing. I'm just not used to seeing you in street clothes." Tia said and giggled. Susan grinned back and they walked into the store. Tia could feel the magick in the air, as well as smell fresh fragrances, and wondered if something had been burned to clear the atmosphere. Jaina looked up as they entered, doing a slight double take as she saw Susan, but kept serving. Once she'd finished and the store had emptied, Jaina came over to Tia and pulled her into a strong hug. Tia hugged back, then they broke apart.
"Merry meet, Tia. I am so glad you returned, though I was surprised to see Susan." Jaina said. Tia looked around but couldn't see her.
"I think she's in invisible mode now. I hope you're well, Jaina." Tia said gently.
"I am, quite. Though today has shaken me a little." Jaina replied.
"I'm very sorry about that. I wish she would leave well enough alone. Her shop felt bad, as did she. I seriously don't want to go there again." Tia said. Jaina nodded.
"And no one will ever make you." She replied. Heading into the back room Jaina turned on the kettle. Tia followed her.
"What did Ngaire want, anyway?" Tia asked as she sat at the table. Jaina looked at her as she put a tea strainer into her mug.
"She wanted me to know that she wants to train you, and that I'm to let you if you wanted to go to her." Jaina said. Tia shook her head.
"I would rather die than ask her for help." Tia said, almost vehemently. Jaina frowned.
"That's a little drastic. You never know, she might have a wealth of knowledge that may come in handy. I understand you never wish to associate with her, but be careful how you act, especially around her. If she feels you're scared of her, it might alleviate her suspicions." Jaina said. 
"I do understand, and mostly agree. If I ever do get the urge or desire, or even express an interest in  wanting to go there, please stop me. It would not be me acting in my right mind." Tia said. The kettle whistled then, and Jaina nodded.
"Duly noted." She said as she turned to turn off the kettle, then poured boiling water into the two mugs, letting the tea steep. Jaina went out to the main area and closed and locked the door, and then went back into the back room. "I usually close around noon, but I think I can make an exception today. You have my full attention for as long as you need. The wards are up, and I cloaked the store, but we won't be able to meet here often, I already replace the spell weekly due to the number of people that cross that threshold." Jaina said, picking up her mug and sipping it. Tia listened, then picked up her own mug, inhaling the smells from the steam rising in spirals, and sipped the liquid, tasting the herbs and flowers used.
"Thank you for doing this for me. I wish I knew why all this is occurring, why witches want me dead, but I have promised already to trust in the Mother Goddess. that there is a reason behind everything." Tia said.
"You're very welcome. Now, we have three months before you turn thirteen, am I right?" Jain asked. Tia nodded.
"I suppose Susan told you." Tia replied.
"Yep. A witch's thirteenth birthday is big in families. That is when they become initiated as a witch into their coven and their powers. And witches train from an early age, the earlier the better. If you want to be initiated on your thirteenth birthday you have a lot to learn; herb lore, potion making, spell casting, chanting. It is going to be a tedious journey. But your friends have faith in you, as does the Goddess, and me. I will convince your mum that I'm your new tutor, school appointed if you like, and you can come to my house once a week to practice, and here Saturdays for study sessions." Jaina said. Tia watched her, sipping her drink.
"I think that is an excellent plan." Tia said.
"I know what is asked of an initiate for the initiation, so we can focus on that, explain the circumstances, all that." Jaina said, sitting down. She was feeling excited, but also right. The whole idea had just gushed out of her, and it had felt right. "Of course, if your grades slip, your mum will stop you from seeing me, I'd be a bad tutor if that happened." Jaina added. Tia smiled, but nodded.
"I can do it. I want to." She said. Jaina relaxed.
"I am glad. Today we will just talk, get to know one another, and maybe see what you know, and once we talk to your mum we can start practicing magick at my house. I wish I could get you over for a coven, so you can experience it in all its glory, but a step at a time is good. One day we might hold our own circle." Jaina said. Tia sipped her cooling tea as Jaina bustled about.
"What do I have in my hand?" Jaina asked suddenly, looking at Tia, one hand at her side, the other behind her back. "And no help from your friends," she added. Tia felt amusement, but pushed it away. She instead focused on the object held in Jaina's hidden hand.
"A green highlighter." Tia said. Jaina beamed and showed her the green highlighter.
"Excellent. You're a natural. Just don't use those talents in clubs or casinos." Jaina quipped. Tia grinned.
"I highly doubt my friends would allow me to go." Tia said.
"And you're way too young to gamble." Sierra said. Tia giggle, and Jaina laughed out loud.
"Those friends of yours." Jaina said fondly. Tia shrugged.
"I am used to their ways. I dread the day I have to say goodbye to them." Tia said. Jaina looked at her.
"You know when that'll be?" Jaina asked. Tia nodded.
"Not until I'm older, but yes. I know it'll happen when everything is ended. When balance is restored." Tia said in a sad voice. Jaina sat down and pulled her cold tea to her, and waved her right hand in a clockwise motion over the top of it, muttering a few words, then sipped the tea which was now steaming as though it had been freshly boiled. Tia watched, transfixed.
"Oh cool! How did you do that?" Tia gushed. Jaina smiled.
"Just a simple spell. Right hand gives, left hand takes away. And widdershins, or anti-clockwise, takes away, deosil, or clockwise, increases. I will include that in the training." Jaina said. Tia listened attentively, eyes wide, and nodded.
"Sounds fantastic." Tia said.
"It certainly comes in handy during stock take" Jaina said. Tia didn't know what that meant, but smiled, understanding it was a joke. Jaina sipped her drink, then took a deep breath and pulled a few books to her, but before she could say anything Tia stood up.
"How strong are the wards? I just got a bad feeling down my back. I don't think it's Ngaire, but I could be wrong. Someone is sending out their senses for me, I think.Someone associated with Ngaire, or that other woman maybe. But I don't know. Can you feel it?" Tia asked, moving towards the door. Jaina shook her head and went into the shop, motioning for Tia to stay put.
"You all better go home." Tia thought to her friends, who vanished immediately, leaving Tia feeling oddly cold, as though their presence was like an electric blanket. Jaina came back into the back room.
"Where'd they go?" Jaina asked, looking around.
"I sent them home. I think someone was gauging this place, or looking for something, me probably, and I didn't want them being sensed." Tia said.
"You said it wasn't Ngaire. Are you positive?" Jaina asked.
"No. I said I wasn't sure. It may well have been her, though why she's searching for me I don't know. I wish she would leave me alone." Tia said, her smooth young face showing worry and concern. "I think the wards protected my friends from being detected, but she found what she sought. I think she will  be checking on me often, though I think she has underlying reasons. My friends had best stay clear of here, and your place, until Ngaire is dissuaded on the spirits around me." Tia added. Jaina watched the girl, amazed at her sensible nature.
"I think today we should go over the basics, discuss what you know, and about the laws and regulations. There is a council, but they really don't interfere unless there is no other option. They probably don't know about you. Some might, but..." Jaina started.
"They would know about me due to that huge spell I did a few years ago, right? Word spreads, and they would've felt it too." Tia interrupted. Jaina frowned.
"One would think so, but I never heard anything, though I didn't own the coven back then. I can talk to the woman I inherited it from, see if she heard anything. But no one is looking for you, except Ngaire." Jaina pointed out. Tia fidgeted, but nodded. Jaina noticed her uneasiness and felt distracting the girl might do her some good, so she drew Tia's attention to History, Lore and the laws, starting from the basics.

Across town, in her own house, Ngaire felt a flare of anger. It was only an hour or so since the talk with the owner of Living Energies, and now the little girl was at the shop with her. She felt a flash of jealousy that the girl was there, but she took a deep breath. Ngaire hadn't felt the spirits around, but that meant nothing. Ngaire contemplated extending the range of her senses, to the child's house, but she wasn't strong enough to reach that far from her own home. But she wondered why the child was at the shop after the talk that had transpired between her and Jaina. Ngaire went into her kitchen and started preparing food for the coven, her mind on Josiah. She needed information on his old coven, and knew he wouldn't divulge most of it voluntarily. She also had perfume that would attract him to her unless his shields were up, but she planned on using a relaxation brew in her tea, just enough for everyone to be less on their guard. Ngaire set about fixing her potion, adding it to her iced tea and added the entire contents to her drinks dispenser. She hoped the brewing time strengthened the potion, but she was patient. She could wait.
The hours passed and her coven arrived just before eight, everyone getting drinks. It was a warm night so the iced tea was distributed quickly, and to Ngaire's delight Josiah had a decent sized helping. Ngaire sprayed a light spritz of perfume on herself, then started the Circle, making sure she was standing upwind of Josiah. They talked a bit about their week, then Ngaire led them in another calming circle, guiding them to release negativity and to take control of the positive opportunities, and she could almost see the energy flow from each coven member as they released the negative thoughts and feelings. She sent it all away from them, sending it into the earth, knowing it would be taken and turned into good, into energy that will enter the trees and creatures, the cycle unbroken. She had each of them kneel and place their hands, palms down, on the floor, imagining it all being absorbed by the earth underneath.
"You can all do this any time of day or night, the earth gives and takes away, it provides new energy, takes away the old. But never do it without thanking her. We are always grateful for her blessing and gifts." Ngaire said. Everyone stood then and Ngaire dismantled the circle,and everyone moved away to talk and mingle, but Josiah stayed close to Ngaire. She smiled, but pretended to be happy, and they sat down together, Ngaire sipping water and eating a biscuit, Josiah sipping iced tea. 
"That was a great circle." Ngaire said, leaning against Josiah. He nodded.
"It really was. It's fascinating to think that the earth purifies the energy we expel, and gives it back to others. Energy is all around us." Josiah said.
"It sure is. I'm surprised you hadn't been taught that before at your old coven at least." She coaxed. He shrugged.
"Maybe they learned it after I left. Or maybe she did tell us but I forgot. It was a long time ago." Josiah said.
"She? The coven leader?" Ngaire asked. Josiah drank some tea and nodded.
"Yeah. She wasn't exactly the training type, except to her daughter." He said. Ngaire shifted.
"That would suck. You joined her coven to learn, right? It is her duty as High Priestess to train, teach, instruct." Ngaire said. Josiah looked at her.
"Very true. But I can't remember it happening much. Just feeling drained after circles. Especially..." He stopped and had more to drink.
"Especially what? What happened?" Ngaire asked, feigning concern. Josiah looked at her, almost calculating what to say.
"Especially when she used our energy to kill a family. She didn't tell us why, just that she needed the energy, and the next day an entire family was dead. Seven children and the parents. The poor girls. The baby was only a few weeks old too." Josiah said. Ngaire looked uncomfortable, and she certainly felt it too. Who would kill a family? Her curiosity got the better of her though, and she pressed on.
"What was your coven's name? And the High Priestess? Was it ever proven that she did it?" Ngaire asked.
"Evermoon Coven, her name is Pernilla Douglas, and no, it was never proven. It was written off as an electrical fire that started in the laundry." Josiah said. He stood up, the distress clear on his face, and said his goodbye's, then left. Ngaire didn't stop him, she couldn't believe a witch, let alone a High Priestess, would use their powers to kill a family. She wondered why. After saying goodbye to the rest of her coven members, Ngaire started researching why it had happened, how it had happened. She couldn't find much, but she found contacts to the Evermoon Coven and, before she could stop herself, she'd sent off an email to this Pernilla woman, introducing herself and mentioning the power around a little girl she'd encountered. Ngaire didn't think she'd ever hear back, but she had to sate her curiosity.