Chapter 23

"Hurry up Tia, we told Jaina we'd arrive early." Faye called. Tia had bathed and dried off, but she was standing in front of her closet.
"What do I wear?" Tia called back.
"Something clean." Faye said. Tia smiled and found a nice blouse in a light green colour, found a long brown skirt, and sandals. She quickly got dressed and hurried to the lounge where Faye was waiting.
"You look lovely." Faye said, smiling as Tia brushed her hair.
"Thank you, Aunt." Tia replied. She ran the brush through her long hair, but Faye came over and took the brush from her.
"Let me help. I never had a daughter to dress up or do their hair." Faye said. Tia smiled and nodded, turning around so Faye could do her hair. Faye pulled green ribbon out of her pocket and braided it into Tia's hair, securing it with a hair tie. Once done they collected their things. As agreed, Tia's mind-friends stayed away, but Tia could feel them on the edge of her senses. 
"Let's go." Faye said. Tia took a deep breath and nodded hesitantly. Faye smiled. "You'll be fine. Just do what Jaina tells you, and follow your feelings." Faye added. Tia smiled self-consciously, and they locked up the house, got into Faye's car, and headed across town to Jaina's. They pulled into Jaina's driveway and parked ten minutes later, and Faye gathered her things together, but Tia stayed still.
"We're here." Faye coaxed. Tia didn't move. "What's up sweetie?" The child turned her head slowly to look at Faye.
"If I get out of the car, if I go inside, then there's no going back. Walking inside starts the ball rolling. If I just stay here, she won't hurt anyone, no one will suffer." Tia said softly, her child innocence showing. . Faye sighed softly.
"I suppose you're right, and you have every right to be scared. But if you don't go in, you might not be able to help someone that needs it. And the bad guys win." Faye said, hugging the child gently. She wanted to protect the girl, but she knew there was a bigger picture, more than just this. She didn't say it though, just held the child. After a few moments Tia took a deep breath and got out of the car. Faye got out too and collected her bag from the boot of the car, then locked the car and they walked up the front path to the front door. Tia knocked and waited, her mind awash with thoughts and feelings, what-ifs and but whys. Tia had been here numerous times, but tonight it felt different. Heavy with sensations and feelings.  Faye watched Tia as they waited for their hostess to answer the door, seeing the different emotions range on the little girl's face, admiration filling her for what this child must be going through. The front door opened and Jaina stood there, dressed in her Priestess robes, her hair loosely flowing down her back, and Tia gasped in amazement.
"You look amazing!" Tia breathed. Jaina smiled and gave the girl a hug.
"Thank you. I love your hair. Did Faye do it for you?" Jaina asked. Tia nodded.
"She did, yes." Tia replied. They all headed into the living room and Tia looked around. It looked the same, and yet it felt different.
"You are early, but that's good, it means you can get ready and have a look around, familiarise yourself with the place." Jaina said. Tia frowned.
"I thought I was ready." She said. Faye turned to her bag and pulled out the robe for the girl as Jaina smiled.
"You need to change." Jaina said, gesturing to Faye, who held the robe out to Tia as the child turned around to face her. Tia gasped and stepped closer.
"It's beautiful!" Tia gasped as she touched the soft blue fabric, her eyes wide. Faye and Jaina smiled.
"You go and change, the others should be here soon, and I'll direct Faye to my room so she can change there." Jaina said, moving towards the bedroom.
"What do I wear underneath?" Tia asked.
"Just your underwear. Trust me, you won't need anything else." Jaina said. Tia nodded and went into the bathroom. Faye and Jaina looked at each other.
"All ready?" Faye asked as Jaina led her into the bedroom.
"Just put the finishing touches on the altar just before you arrived. It's going to be an amazing night. I can feel it." Jaina grinned. She headed into the kitchen to leave the woman to change, and a few minutes later Faye had joined her, her own salt-and-pepper hair flowing in wisps around her shoulders. Jaina took in the robe and the many embroiders appreciatively, then Tia stepped out of the bathroom, and both women turned to look at her. The robe fell to just above the ankles, and a sash cinched the waist in properly, showing that there was room for growth.
"You look amazing. That colour really brings out your eyes." Jaina said. Tia blushed and touched the robe.
"You can embroider the robe with protective runes once you're initiated. One of us will show you how." Faye said. Tia beamed.
"I'm so excited. This feels so right." Tia said, and hurried outside before either woman could stop her. Faye followed her as Jaina finished getting the food ready. Tia arrived at the small altar and stood just outside the perfect chalk circle, and lifted her gaze to the clear sky.
"I know it's cold out, but I don't feel it. My body feels like I'm standing in a heated room." Tia mused. 
"That happens to many, if they are wearing their robes. I am surprised though. That robe only has one spell in it, a protection spell woven into the very lining, it's normally not until the runes are woven though that the robe protects the wearer." Faye indicated the rune Kenaz on the collar of her robe.
"Kenaz, the rune of fire, warmth." Tia said. Faye nodded.
"Exactly. So that would usually keep you warm once it's on your robe. So I don't know why you feel warm. Your friends?" Faye asked. Tia shook her head, her plait bouncing.
"No. They aren't here. They promised. Maybe it's just magick." Tia said. Faye looked contemplative.
"Sometimes you just can't explain things." Faye said. Tia looked up at the sky, eyes resting on the moon.
"Agreed." She said, then tilted her head slightly. "People are arriving. We should go inside, Jaina wants to introduce us to the other members." Tia said.  Faye glanced at the back door, only now sensing the other people that had arrived. Either she was losing her touch, or Tia was truly a power to be reckoned with, which amazed Faye.
"All right, let's go." Faye said, and the two of them went back inside. Jaina was standing in the kitchen with nearly a dozen people, all of whom looked at the two as they entered. Tia moved slightly closer to Faye, suddenly shy and feeling conspicuous. The older woman put an arm around Tia's shoulders. Jaina saw Tia's shyness and smiled warmly. 
"Everyone, this is my new student, Tia, and her aunt Faye. They're joining us tonight for Mabon, and Tia is studying for her initiation in a few weeks' time." Jaina said, and then introduced each person. Tia nodded politely as they were introduced, but stayed by Faye. Faye smiled warmly to each person.
"It is nice to meet you all." Tia said in a soft voice.
"We will be starting soon, so everyone go and get ready." Jaina instructed, and people moved in different directions. Jaina looked at Tia.
"There's no need to be shy. No one here will hurt you. They don't know about the prophecy since everyone believes the child of the prophecy is dead. Or at least that's what we were all told twelve years ago, and the newer members know nothing of it. I felt it best they not get told." Jaina explained, and Tia felt a jolt of sadness. How could she be the one people hope for if no one believes? If they all think she's dead? She turned away and moved into the kitchen, getting herself a glass of water. Faye and Jaina watched her.
"She's sad. Just the way she walks." Jaina said softly.
"We can talk to her later. I need you to do something for me. Well, not for me, but for Susan, Tia's mum. She wants you to swear to protect Tia. Sort of formally, binding." Faye said. Jaina smiled.
"I'd be glad to." She said, and picked up her wand, a beautiful slender stick of wood with garnets and rubies pounded into it, threads of silver and gold pounded into the wood, a clear quartz bound on top to help focus her energy. 
"I, Jaina Monroe, High Priestess of the Airyanna Coven, solemnly swear to protect Tia Robertson with every breath in my body. No harm will come to her in my care if I can help it." Jaina said. Faye smiled.
I am sure that will suffice. Thank you." Faye said, and looked around to see Tia watching them. Tia wished she'd heard what had been said, but she had felt her full name spoken, and guessed it was important. She mentally shook herself and walked over to them as people reappeared.
"Are you all right?" Faye asked her. Tia blushed a little.
"I will admit that I'm a little scared. I mean, what if I screw up, or cause trouble? Or I do big magick and P...that woman felt it? I have so many doubts." Tia gushed. Both Faye and Jaina looked concerned, but Jaina moved closer.
"It's natural to worry. I was the same before my first circle, and that wasn't even an equinox. Just take it easy, enjoy the moment. You don't even have to do much. Tonight is all about honouring the Goddess and the God, and celebrating the Autumnal Equinox. Just relax and enjoy yourself, and maybe you can come to another circle, if your mum will allow it." Jaina said. Tia nodded absently. Members of the coven were watching them with interest, and Jaina looked around.
"Shall we begin?" Jaina asked the room at large. There were murmurs of assent, and Jaina indicated for people to make their way out of the back door, and once the coven members had exited Faye followed them. Tia looked up at Jaina, her eyes clouded with anxiety.
"You can do it." Jaina encouraged, holding her wand in her left hand. Tia took a deep breath and walked out of the back door, following the lit path to the altar. Jaina followed her, making sure the back door was closed. They walked in silence down the garden path, and when they reached the circle Tia stopped, looking at the faces of the coven members, all turned to look at her, and Faye smiled encouragingly.
"Step through the doorway and into the circle, no harm will come to you." Jaina instructed her. Tia felt her muscles tense as she stepped between the two edges of the chalk circle, and felt warmth wash over her. Faye held her hand out to Tia and the child obediently moved over to her. She looked at the altar as she did so, and saw the effort taken to honour the equinox. Jaina picked up the bag of salt and walked around the circle, pouring salt over the chalk, then stood at the point nearest the altar.
"With this salt, I purify our circle." Jaina said. Tia stood up straighter, all her senses on alert, watching her mentor in awe. Silently Jaina picked up five votive candles and kissed each one gently, then placed four into her pockets and picked up matches, then moved to the Eastern point, holding out the yellow votive candle to Beth, who took it in hand.
"Air lifts the birds in the sky, it blows life through us all, and can be mischievous while at the same time gentle and caressing. I call air to our circle." Jaina said and lit the candle. Tia felt the hair on her forehead shift as the wind danced around her. Jaina had pulled out a red candle from her pocket and moved to the South point, handing the candle to Lucas.
"Fire, too, is unforgiving, burning away the unnecessary parts and leaving behind the foundation to new life, cleansing yet unyielding. I call fire to our circle." Jaina said, then lit the red candle. As the flame ignited Tia gasped inaudibly as it felt as though the flame caressed her skin, warming her even more. Jaina glanced at Tia, and the child wondered if Jaina knew she could feel the elements. But the moment passed and Jaina moved to the West point, standing close to Tia as she handed the blue votive candle to Trevor.
"Water is the foundation of life, it's part of us all, life-giving, refreshing, yet unfathomable in its' path. I call water to our circle." Jaina said, and lit the blue candle. Tia inhaled the scent of the ocean, felt cold water lap over her feet, and fought the urge to look down too see if there really was water there. Tia instead closed her eyes, picturing a sunny day at the beach. She sensed Jaina walk by, and opened her eyes to see Jaina move to the North point. There she held a green candle out to Anne, who took it in her hands.
"Earth is strong, unyielding against anything that it comes up against. A strong foundation, I call earth to our circle." Jaina said, lighting the candle. Tia suddenly smelled freshly cut grass, the smell of earth after a rainy day. She took a few deep breaths, enjoying the smell. Jaina pulled one more candle out, and Tia felt Faye's surprise. She looked at the older woman, but Faye's eyes were transfixed on Jaina. Jaina stepped into the middle of the circle, the lighter in one hand, a purple votive in the other.
"Spirit fills all of us, it's our very heartbeat, our very soul. It dances with us when happy, it comforts us when sad. I call spirit to our circle." Jaina said, lighting the purple candle, and Tia felt an overwhelming urge to dance, or laugh, or both, but she clamped her mouth shut and stayed still, and Jaina put the candle on the ground, as did the other candle-holders, and Jaina lifted her arms.
"Blessed be." Jaina said.
"Blessed be." Everyone responded, and Tia quickly joined in. Jaina smiled at Tia, then faced everyone. 
"Day and night hang in the balance. today, in equal measures, they meet. Tomorrow the dark takes over the year, and the hours of light retreat. The darkness ushers in the chill, with leaves that whirl and winds that howl. The snows may fall, the rains may cease, with empty fields and barren bough.
"Dearest God, in Your waning strength, You move towards Your deathly sleep, yet memories of Summer shall warm our souls and the promise of Spring I keep.
"Lovely Goddess, in Your womb is the secret of what lies in store, rebirth of our God, rebirth of our Light, and rebirth of our land evermore. For the mystery that you've taught us of the cycle of season are not in vain, the darkness does pass, the light does return, and that which falls, rises again." Jaina said in a gentle, yet strong voice, everyone listening intently. Jaina went quiet for a few moments, and Tia found herself reflecting on the words, her eyes closed.
"Mabon magick is the waning part of the year when the light is overtaken by darkness. This day offers energies conducive to goals that include banishing and letting go of that which no longer serves you." Jaina said, and moved to stand beside Tia, taking her hand in her left, and the next persons' in her right. Like a chain, everyone joined hands.
"I banish insincerity." Jaina said. The next person spoke; "I banish thoughtlessness." It went around the group, and Faye spoke. "I banish dishonesty," and Tia froze. She had no idea what to say. Everyone had said great things. Jaina squeezed her hand.
"I, I banish, uncertainty." Tia said, her voice soft, but the last word seemed to rush from her mouth with confidence. Jaina smiled and let go of Tia's hand.
"Everyone sit down and reflect on what you said you wanted to banish." She said and moved to the altar, picking up sunflower seeds as everyone settled on the grass. She went around the circle, tipping a few into each persons' hand, and then sat down next to Tia.
"These seeds represent that which burdens you. Close your eyes and focus on each seed, imagine each to bear that which burdens us. Whether it be insincerity, or impatience, or something else that burdens you tonight, now is the time to shed it from you. When you're ready, throw the seeds onto the ground in front of you." Jaina instructed. Everyone closed their eyes, but Tia couldn't. She looked at the seeds in her hand, feeling the tiny weighted objects like heavy boulders. They felt burdened already, how could she burden them more?
"Are you all right?" Jaina whispered. Tia turned to look at her.
"I, uh think so. The seeds feel weighted already with their own burdens. Must I burden them more?" Tia asked. Jaina smiled knowingly.
"They are burdened by their purpose to grow and nurture. You are giving them a different purpose - to assist you, and cleanse you. It is heavy, but they will be unburdened once the ground takes them in. Does that help?" Jaina asked. Tia pondered this a moment, then nodded.
"Yeah. It does. Thank you." Tia said, and closed her eyes, her mind picturing the seeds. Jaina went back to the task at hand, and everyone was quiet a minute or two longer. Tia focused, thinking about her future, and resolved to face it head on. She felt the seeds suddenly get so heavy she nearly dropped them, and she tossed them away from her, hearing them land on the grass, and opened her eyes, taking a deep breath. Everyone else had thrown their seeds on the ground, and Jaina stood up, gesturing for everyone to join her. The people around her stood up quickly and stood straight. Jaina moved to the centre and picked up the purple candle.
"Thank you spirit for watching over us and protecting us. You may depart." Jaina said and blew out the candle. She then went to Anne and bid the element of earth farewell, and Anne blew out the candle. Jaina moved to Trevor and repeated the action with the element water, Trevor blowing out the candle,  then twice more with Lucas and fire, and Beth with air. Finally Jaina moved back to the circle of salt, knelt down, and touched her hand to the salt circle, creating the doorway.
"Merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again." Jaina said, standing up, and everyone stepped through the doorway to the circle, heading back into the house. Tia didn't move though, missing the feel of the elements around her. She felt a hand take hers, and looked up at Faye as Jaina moved over.
"I don't want to leave this spot." Tia said softly. Faye nodded.
"You felt them, didn't you? You felt all the elements." Jaina said. Faye looked from Jaina to Tia, mouth dropping.
"Yeah. It felt...wonderful. Like I was alive. I wanted to dance, to laugh. I felt the ocean over my feet." Tia's voice drifted off. Faye stayed quiet, though she looked surprised.
"Not many feel the elements. Some feel one, or two, but not many feel four, and certainly not all five. Or it's very rare." Jaina said.
"You felt all five elements?" Faye asked incredulously. Tia blushed. Was she some kind of freak, she wondered to herself.
"I did, yes." Tia said shyly.
"What did you feel?" Faye asked. Tia opened her mouth to answer, but before she could answer Jaina lifted a hand.
"Not yet. I trust everyone here, but until you're initiated you could be in danger from anyone. Wait until the others leave, then we can talk." Jaina said. Tia nodded and they headed inside, spending the next thirty minutes eating, drinking and talking. The rest of the coven left at nine, and Faye Tia and Jaina, once they'd all changed into normal clothes, sat in the lounge drinking herbal tea. Tia could tell both women were looking forward to this conversation.
"I will call my sisters to us first. I don't want anyone eavesdropping." Tia said, and summoned them. They appeared in the room then, without a word uttered aloud, they vanished. Faye and Jaina felt them surround the house, and Tia looked from one to the other.
"They will protect us without extra magick from me." Tia said, sipping her tea.
"Amazing." Faye said. Tia and Jaina both smiled.
"Tell us what you felt when all five elements were invoked." Jaina coaxed, and Tia flushed.
"Well...it was amazing. Air dancing around me, making my hair lift, the heat of fire on my skin, as though  I was sitting in front of a fireplace, water on my feet, the lap of the ocean, or a pond. The smell of the earth after a storm, that top soil smell. It was so refreshing." Tia gushed. Jaina smiled.
"And the fifth? Spirit?" Jaina asked. Faye shifted.
"I noticed you called on Spirit. I've never seen that before." Faye said. Jaina looked at her.
"A lot of people don't add spirit. Spirit is as much a part of the circle, and I was taught to include it. It's represented by a purple candle, not sure what you'd use if you're using tokens instead of candles. I have never met anyone that has felt all the elements. How did Spirit make you feel?" Jaina asked.
"I felt light, excited, and I wanted to dance. If you two hadn't been holding my hands, I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself. My very being leapt." Tia said. Faye looked surprised, but Jaina only nodded.
"I have heard people feeling that way. Don't squash the urge. That's what makes you who you are." Jaina said. Tia frowned.
"Wouldn't that look silly though, attending a circle, invoking Spirit, and I start dancing?" Tia asked.
"It might, but Wicca is first and foremost about being yourself. If you want to dance, then dance." Jaina said. Tia fiddled with her mug.
"When I lead my own coven, I might. Until then, I think I'll wait. I mean...I don't want people thinking I'm crazy. They don't know about me, they don't know the prophecy, how could someone believe in me if they don't like me, or think I'm nutso?" Tia asked. Jaina blinked at this sudden speech.
"I thought I felt sadness earlier.  Is that what scares you? That when the time comes you won't have support from other Wiccans? Those that do know the prophecy still believe in it, and I am more than happy to advise the coven of the prophecy next week. Once Pernilla makes her move at you, people will know who you are, what you are capable of, and many will support you. I swear." Jaina said. Tia looked up at Jaina, and she felt hope flare inside her.
"You think so?" Tia asked.
"Oh yes." Jaina replied. Tia hugged her, and her fear eased, a little. 
"Well, if you join this coven, you do whatever you feel you need to. Dance with Spirit. It rarely gets to dance with gifted witches." Jaina said. Tia blushed. Faye glanced down at her watch.
"We should get going. I promised Susan we'd get home at a reasonable hour. It's a big day tomorrow." Faye said. All three stood up, and they walked to the front door.
"Break a leg. I'd come and watch, but many at the church know who I am and the type of shop I run, and they wouldn't want me in their church. But I know you'll do an exceptional job." Jaina said and hugged Tia.
"Thank you. See you soon. And thank you for tonight. It was magnificent." Tia said. Jaina beamed.
"Blessed be." Jaina said, then looked at Faye.
"Stay safe. Trouble is brewing, and soon." Jaina said. Faye's eyes darkened.
"I know. I have felt it all evening. I think my days at my coven are numbered." Faye said. Jaina touched her arm.
"You will always be welcome here, wise woman." Jaina said.
"Thank you. If I need to I'll move closer. There is nothing keeping me in Elpherton except the coven." Faye said. Jaina nodded in understanding, and Faye headed to her car where Tia was waiting, and they both got in the car, driving back to the Robertson house, discussing the circle. They agreed they wouldn't say too much to Susan, knowing it would scare her, but they had to tell her some stuff. It was too late for bubble wrap.

Ten minutes later they were all sitting in the lounge, the heater on and Tia in her pyjamas.
"She swore then? Jaina swore to protect my girl?" Susan asked. Faye nodded.
"She did. She will protect Tia as best she can." Faye said. Susan sighed, rubbing a temple. Faye wanted to help her, but knew Susan would be against that. 
"Best we go to bed then. We have a big day ahead." Susan said. All three stood up, and Tia said goodnight to both and then went to her room. Susan started making her way around the house, making sure all the doors and windows were shut, and tonight Faye followed behind her. Susan didn't ask why, though she watched curiously as Faye seemed to touch each window and door frame as they moved around the house. In the hall before departing into her room, Faye turned to Susan.
"I'm proud of you, you know." Faye said. Susan blinked.
"Me? What did I do?" Susan asked.
"You have been told a lot over the last few days, yet you are still here, still holding on. It would be totally understandable if you vanished tomorrow after the play." Faye said softly so as not to wake the child asleep in the nearest bedroom. Susan sighed.
"The thought crossed my mind about a hundred times today. But I can't do that to Tia. She said this is where she needs to be. I trust her judgement." Susan said. Faye smiled lovingly and kissed the young woman's forehead.
"So proud." Faye repeated, then went into her room and climbed into bed. Faye spent a few minutes just praying, meditating, that all would work out.