Chapter Eight

As the weeks, then months, went by, Tia grew into a strong-willed child who knew what she wanted, but she wasn't spoiled. After studying a while Susan became a part-time paramedic and as good a mum as she could try to be. She spent her 30th birthday working, the other paramedics  bringing her a cake in between jobs, cutting a piece for her to take home to Tia, who was at child care. Enrolling Tia in child care three days a week wasn't fun, for Susan wanted to be around Tia as much as she could, but she needed to keep the bills paid and food on the table. Today, however, Susan had finished her last job quickly, so she left work early and headed for the centre to pick up Tia. The room supervisor greeted Susan as she entered, pulling her to the side.

"I just wanted to ask how things were going at home." Tanya said. Susan looked at her in surprise.

"Things are good, I think. She plays a lot and we play, and talk, and read." Susan replied. Tanya nodded.

"That's great. We have noticed that while she plays well with others, sometimes she will sit alone and talk to her...well we like to call them imaginary friends. There's nothing wrong with that, but we will try to engage her to join in games with the other children." Tanya said. Susan listened, watching Tia race around outside.

"Now that you mention it, I did hear Tia babbling away the other day, but I didn't think anything of it. I'll ask her later." Susan said. Tanya nodded and walked off to check on some children, so Susan went to the outside door and watched the little girl play.

"Tia!" Susan called out. The dark head turned in her direction, and the girl's face broke into a bright grin. She ran over, the black plaits swaying around Tia's shoulders.

"Mummy!" She cried happily, giving her a hug, which Susan reciprocated lovingly.

"Did you have a good day sweetie?" Susan asked. Tia nodded enthusiastically.

"Yeah!" She said. Susan laughed and put her down. 

"Go and get your bag." Susan said. Tia ran off to get her bag and Susan walked slowly to the door of the room. Tia waddled over holding her miniature backpack in her hand, and Susan led the way out. When they stepped outside Susan took Tia's hand in her own and led the way across the car park to their car, strapped Tia in and slid behind the steering wheel, buckling in. They drove home listening to Tia's favourite music, singing along.

Once at home Susan cut up some apple slices and cheese for Tia, who sat at her little play-table to eat. Susan watched her nibble on an apple slice.

"So Tia, Tanya tells me that you have made new friends." Susan coaxed. Tia nodded.

"Uh huh. They my friends, but no one sees them." Tia said. Susan frowned slightly.

"Do you mean that only you can see them? Or there's no one there?" Susan asked. Tia shrugged slightly, her mouth full of cheese.

"Yup. They my friends." Tia repeated, pulling some paper to herself, drawing with her left hand whilst she picked up a piece of apple with her right hand. Susan watched her, not pushing the topic. She knew it was normal for children to have imaginary friends, but she wasn't sure just how old the child usually was before that tendency came out. Leaving Tia to eat and draw Susan went about her afternoon routine, checking on the little girl from time to time as she tidied up and got dinner started. The next time Susan thought to check on Tia the little girl had abandoned her paper and crayons, sitting on the couch with a picture book on her lap, talking to herself, or so it appeared. Susan smiled and went about her business. She got out a piece of paper though and wrote down what Tanya had told her, intent on telling Faye later. She wanted to keep the woman in the loop, and felt that this was something not to be passed over. Tia was close to 3, Susan prayed silently that Tia would grow out of it.