Chapter Three

The weeks seemed to fly by for the Montgomery family, fascinated by the baby that hardly cried, was curious about everything, which all of her sisters adored, even Anna, the youngest, wanted to spend time with Amber. Irene spent as much time there as she could, but it was Katherine's six sisters that Amber loved to see, all smiles and gurgles for her aunts. Irene and Katherine's sisters visited often in the weeks after Amber's birth, something drawing them to the house. The girls were always happy to see their aunts, something Peter wasn't used to as he was an only child. But they never stayed long, just enough to see their nieces, then left. 

Not far from the Montgomery house, Pernilla was researching how to stop the child, but kept coming up against a brick wall. After many attempts to take the child from the yard, or give the child potion-laced drinks, all of which failed dismally, Pernilla had had enough. Even performing a binding spell from a distance hadn't worked.

"We need to either bind her now, or destroy her and the family. She cannot be allowed to live if we cannot bind her powers, or she will ruin my plans for Nicole and our coven. The Evermoon Coven will grow in power as Nicole fulfills her destiny I have planned. " Pernilla said to her coven before their circle. Most of them looked at her in awe, but Faye felt ill. She wondered what the woman had planned. She didn't have to wait long though, Pernilla stood up and led the members of her coven downstairs to the basement, to her ritual room. Pernilla had already sprinkled salt in a circle on the floor, but hadn't closed it. The coven members entered the large salt circle and Pernilla closed it behind them, murmuring; "With salt, I purify my circle." She then stood in the centre of the circle as the coven members stood in a circle around her, four of the women picking up candles at the four points of the circle. Faye was glad that she hadn't been asked to represent an element tonight, for she felt that she wouldn't be able to uphold the energy that was needed. She watched as Pernilla walked around the circle, starting at the East point, and welcomed each of the elements into the circle by lighting the candles as she went around. Finally she stood in the centre of the circle, holding a fifth candle, and lit it, invoking spirit. Faye had a sudden urge to run, to break the salt circle, but she stayed still, praying silently to the Goddess, begging her to protect the child and to forgive her for whatever she was about to take part in. Pernilla put the candle down, as did the four women, and Pernilla raised her hands slightly.

"One has been born that threatens this coven and our ways. If she grows up to be the witch she is destined to be, if she succeeds in being a witch at all, she will cause our coven to crumble and magick will be forever marred for us. She has no roots in the magickal community, and we must do as the Goddess wishes and strip her of power. As we have been unsuccessful to get near her to perform the ritual we must do it from here, so I ask you all to trust me and give me some of your power to amplify the spell so I can focus and fulfill the Goddess' will." Pernilla said. Most of the men and women around the circle nodded but a few, Faye included, looked baffled. Faye wondered how the others in the coven could even think that a baby could ruin a coven, but she knew that most of the coven believed Pernilla implicitly, why try to fight that? She listened quietly, and when everyone joined hands, Faye was grateful she was removed from Pernilla by a few members. Faye looked down at the circle of salt that lay behind them all, but movement made her look up and they started moving slowly deosil, and she focused on her energy, on her Goddess, and prayed silently that the salt would purify whatever spell Pernilla had planned, and that the baby Amber Montgomery would be protected. She felt the power build as they moved faster, hearing Pernilla sing her power chant. As always it sent a chill down Faye's spine, it felt so dark, but she glanced around at the faces around her and no one else seemed to feel it. Her gaze rested on Nicole and she felt sorry for the girl. She truly believed her mother was doing the right thing by her. Faye closed her eyes and sent yet another prayer up to her Goddess, praying yet again that Amber would be all right. She was special.