Chapter 25

Tia finished her last line, took her bows, though they tried to get her to take more, she feigned tiredness and a desire for the toilet. She went into the bathroom, closing the door behind her, and burst into tears. This time she didn't need to ask her sisters to get Faye, they arrived less than a minute later. Faye moved towards the child but Susan pushed past her and pulled Tia in for a hug, holding her close as she cried.  No one said anything for a couple minutes, until Tia took a deep breath and pulled back, wiping her eyes.
"What happened?" Faye urged gently.
"Ngaire...the poor woman. I felt it all. I tried not to, and my sisters helped me, but they couldn't block it all out. Oh God, it was so horrible." Tia whimpered. Faye nodded, but Susan frowned.
"I don't understand. What were you feeling?" Susan asked. Tia looked almost fearful.
"Ngaire's memories were ripped from her mind. It's not how people make it seem. It's one thing to forget something - your purse, someone's name, where you left the keys last night. But to have it forcibly ripped is something different. It's very painful. And her magick was taken too, cut away strand by strand. It would've been agony for her. If she'd been conscious to feel it." Tia sobbed. Faye shuddered.
"Witches can do that?" Susan asked.
"Powerful evil witches can. It is very dark magick to do that to another witch." Faye said.
"I...I should change." Tia said, moving to her things where she'd left them earlier, as though she'd known she'd need them here instead of in the dressing room.
"All right. We can talk later. You have fans waiting for you." Faye said, and Tia smiled, despite how she felt.
"I'll be out shortly." Tia said. Faye and Susan left, slightly reluctantly on Susan's part, and Tia moved to her things, changing quickly out of her costume. Courtney appeared as Tia was brushing her hair.
"Jaina is on her way to your house. I told her that might not be wise, but she insisted. Do you want me to tell your mum and Faye?" Courtney asked. Tia nodded.
"Yes, please. I have to take my costume to the dressing room." Tia said. Courtney vanished, and Tia tied her hair back, then picked up her things and went to the dressing room. Everyone had gone, as Tia had known they would be, put her things on the counter, and headed out to the chapel foyer. Church had finished, and when people saw her they applauded and moved to her, praising her. It was a welcome distraction, and it helped remove her worries, if only for a few minutes. Tia saw Faye and Susan by the door, and said goodbye to her friends, joining the two women, and the three of them headed to Faye's car. No one said a word as they drove home. Faye intended on driving home after luncheoning with Tia and Susan, but as they pulled into the Robertson's driveway, Tia turned to Faye.
"Stay another night. Don't go back today." Tia said.
"Tia, Faye may have other commitments." Susan said. Tia didn't look at Susan, just kept her eyes on Faye. Faye looked back at Tia, seeing her determination, and nodded.
"I can stay." Faye said. Tia climbed out of the car and ran over to where Jaina was parked, and Faye turned to Susan.
"Are you sure you can stay? I don't want you missing anything." Susan said.
"Tia felt something, knows something. If she says stay, I'll stay. There is always a reason. I intend to find out." Faye said. She got out of the car and moved over to where Jaina and Tia were talking. Susan climbed out of the car too and watched them.
"Inside. It isn't safe out here." Faye said. Jaina nodded and they all went over to where Susan was standing, and without a word the four of them went inside. Once the front door was closed Susan turned and faced Jaina.
"It is lovely to finally meet you, Susan. I have heard a lot about you." Jaina said, bowing respectfully to Susan. Susan was taken by surprise, but nodded. 
"That is kind of you. I haven't heard much yet, but I'm sure I will. Thank you for protecting my girl." Susan said. Jaina smiled.
"My pleasure." Jaina said. Susan headed into the lounge, hearing the kettle boil, and Tia came out a few minutes later with a large teapot, five mugs and a plate of sandwiches.
"Are you expecting someone, Tia?" Jaina asked. Tia nodded, biting into a sandwich.
"Ngaire will sleep for most of the day, so I asked Sierra to ask Josiah to come here after he takes her home. He'll be here in a few hours." Tia said. The three women looked at each other.
"I'm not sure that's wise." Faye said. Tia handed her a cup of tea.
"Of course it is. With Ngaire the way she is, her magick nearly cut away, she won't be able to run her shop, or her coven." Tia said. Faye and Susan looked at each other, but Jaina started, dropping her cup. Tia quickly held up a hand and the cup stopped in mid air. Jaina beamed at the display of power, and quickly plucked the cup out of the air, not spilling a drop. She still looked confused.
"What happened to Ngaire?" Jaina asked. Tia picked up her own cup, holding it in slightly trembling fingers.
"Ngaire was tricked, her memories stripped, her power cut away, at least all but a few strands. She was rescued, but not quite in time." Tia said, her face growing pale at the memory of the pain.
"You saw it?" Jaina asked.
"And felt it. It was horrible." Tia said, a cold chill causing her to shiver. Jaina sipped her tea.
"I think next week we work on blocking your mind." Jaina said.
"No!" Susan cried, and Tia jumped, her and Jaina looking at her. Faye, expecting this outburst, sipped her tea and nibbled on a sandwich.
"What's wrong, Mum?" Tia asked. Susan looked pale, as though she was about to faint, and Tia moved over to her, sitting beside her. Susan put her arms around Tia, and the child could feel her mother shaking.
"I saw Tia in pain, and it wasn't even directed at her. This woman wants to hurt my girl. Why can't I just...just hide her again? Protect her from these people?" Susan asked, trembling.
"I'm sorry, Susan. No person should ever see their child in pain, especially as much as Tia undoubtedly felt, but if you just hide her again, she won't learn to protect herself as she gets older, and that woman will win, she will finish the job she started twelve years ago." Jaina said. Susan wiped at her eyes, and Faye held out a handkerchief.
"We will all help Tia. She won't get an opportunity to harm your little girl." Faye said. Susan took the 'kerchief and wiped her face.
"We swore oaths, Susan, and we will not break our oath." Jaina said. Susan looked from Faye to Jaina, then down at Tia.
"You will tell one of us if anything happens, right? If you feel anything, I want you to alert Faye or Jaina immediately. Got it?" Susan asked. Tia nodded solemnly.
"I promise." Tia said. Susan hugged her. "I am sorry Mum, but I have to tell Jaina and Aunt Faye what I felt and saw. Josiah already knows it all." Tia said. Susan looked like she was in pain, but nodded.
"I understand." Susan said. Everyone got comfortable, and Tia told all three what she'd seen and felt. By the end of her tale, the three women all looked surprised and a little afraid. If Pernilla could do this to someone she'd just met, what could she do to Tia, or worse, Faye? Faye stood up, a sinking feeling in her gut, and took her mug to the kitchen. Tia stood up and followed her.
"Aunt Faye. That is why I didn't want you going. She knows you protected the...Me. She knows you met Ngaire. If you go back, she will hurt you worse than she hurt Ngaire, and I would never forgive myself if I didn't warn you." Tia said. Faye hugged Tia.
"Thank you. You have no idea what that means to me." Faye said. Tia smiled.
"I do, a little. Oh, Josiah's here." Tia said, and hurried to the front door. Faye faltered. She hadn't seen Josiah in years. How would he receive her? She walked into the lounge to where Susan and Faye were standing.
Outside, Tia waited for Josiah to turn of the engine before approaching. He sat in the front seat of his own car, Terry having gone home, Ngaire safe in her own bed. He had received a shock when the dark-haired woman had appeared in the backseat of Ngaire's car, had nearly crashed, but a bit of magick had set the car straight on the road, and the young woman had told him who she was, and that he was needed at the child's house, given him the address, and when he'd said he'd come, she had disappeared. Standing before him was a miniature version.
"That woman that visited me in the car. She's related to you." Josiah blurted. Tia smiled and nodded.
"Older sister. Dead, sadly." Tia said. Josiah paled as memory crashed over him.
"I'm so, so sorry for my involvement in that. I had no idea what the power was going to be used for." He said, falling to his knees. Tia shook her head.
"Please, stand up Josiah. You weren't to know. But you did the right thing and left. Please get up, and come inside." Tia said, holding her hand out to him. He got up quickly and took her hand, letting him lead her inside.  She took him to the lounge, where Faye, Susan and Jaina were standing, waiting.
"Josiah, I would like to introduce you to my mother, Susan, and my mentor, Jaina." Tia said, indicating each woman. "And you know Faye." Josiah said hello to Susan and Jaina, intrigued a little, but when he heard the name he turned quickly to Faye, his eyes wide.
"Faye...Goddess I didn't think I'd see you again." Josiah said, and moved over to her quickly, dropping Tia's hand as he did so, and kissed Faye's cheek warmly. Faye smiled.
"Hello, Josiah. Yes, it's been a while. It's good to see you as well." Faye replied, her eyes showing warmth to him.
"Shall we all sit down?" Tia asked, holding a hot mug of tea out to Josiah. He took the mug with an expression of gratitude and relief and lifted the mug to his lips, taking a sip, showing by gesture that he was trusting and genuine. They all sat down.
"How is Ngaire?" Tia asked. Josiah looked at her in surprise.
"Uh, I think she's okay. Physically, at least. She slept the whole drive home." Josiah replied.
"Do you know what...she...did to Ngaire?" Tia asked.
"No. I just wish I'd arrived sooner." Josiah said. Tia looked from Faye to Jaina.
"Tell him, don't spare anything. He deserves to know." Jaina said. Josiah looked from person to person, confused. Tia turned to him and, with a solemn expression on her face, she told him everything she'd seen and felt, everything Ngaire had had done to her.
"She may not remember you, or your feelings for her. Her magick will be forever weak, more like a sensitive than a witch." Tia concluded. There were tears in his eyes, but his hands were clenched on his knees.
"Why though? Why take memories, magick?" Josiah asked. Tia looked at Jaina.
"Magick, that's easy. More power is always desired by dark witches, and taking it from another witch, one as strong as Ngaire was, is the easiest way. You managed to save her though by getting there when you did. If you had been even two minutes later, she would be near death. No witch can survive a severing of that magnitude." Jaina said.
"I just knew I had to get to her. When she didn't respond to my calls or messages, I knew she was in trouble. I think I broke every speed limit in getting there, getting to her." Josiah said. Tia giggled.
"As to her memories, that's a tricky one. The severing would've dulled the memories already, but she wanted them gone completely. Memories of that coven, of Tia, of you. She is covering herself. and removing everything she can. I can only imagine it's so she will have no competition in future." Jaina continued. Josiah put his empty mug down.
"I care for Ngaire. I know she's done bad things in the past, to me, to others, but...I care." Josiah said. Tia nodded.
"Love potions don't create love, they magnify affection, contrary to popular belief. The feeling was there already, or it wouldn't have worked." Tia said. Josiah looked at her in shock.
"How did you know? About that, about Ngaire, it all?" He asked, a note of awe entering his voice. Tia shrugged.
"It's complicated. I just know...things. They come to me, into my head." Tia said. Josiah rubbed a hand over his eyes. It'd been a long day.
"So what can I do for you ladies?" Josiah asked. They all looked at Tia, all four wondering why she'd brought him here.
"Ngaire will be weak for a while, but she will not be able to run her shop anymore, or be High Priestess of Qarinah coven. I suggest the coven disbands, or join Jaina's coven. You should talk to them, as it is their decision alone. As to the shop, I think you should suggest to Ngaire that she sign it over to Faye. Aunt Faye knows her stuff, and will bring a positive vibe to the shop again." Tia said. Jaina smiled at the suggestions, but Faye looked dumbstruck.
"I couldn't do that. That's Ngaire's stuff, her life." Faye said.
"You can't go back to Elpherton, now that she knows you have gone behind her back, so to speak, and have protected me all these years. She will be waiting for you at the next coven meeting." Tia said. Faye sighed. The child was right.
"But I have nowhere to live if I don't go back. I can't just uproot and move here." Faye said.
"You can stay here with us until you sell your house and find one here." Susan said, almost blurting it out. Tia beamed.
"Yay. Stay here with us, Aunt Faye. Please?" Tia gushed, and Faye looked at Tia in surprise. One moment the child was a wise woman beyond her years, the next she was a regular twelve year old kid.
"Sounds like a good idea." Jaina said, looking at Josiah, "Do you think Ngaire would listen to you?" She asked him.
"Ordinarily, no. She is a stubborn woman. But after what she's been through, she may indeed listen to me. Leave it with me. You run that other shop, Living Energies?" Josiah asked.
"I do. You are welcome to visit me any time, or call me regarding the coven." Jaina said, holding out her card to him. He took it and pocketed it, then stood up.
"I should get back to Ngaire, she will be very disoriented when she wakes up." Josiah said. Tia jumped up and led the way to the front door.
"Thank you for coming, and thank you for listening." Tia said to him. He looked down at the bright eyes peering up at him, and saw something deep and old in the gaze.
"It was my pleasure, Tia. I look forward to seeing you again. You are uninitiated?" He asked.
"That's right, but I will be on my 13th birthday, in a few weeks. I hope you'll be there." Tia said. He smiled.
"It would be my honour. Merry part." He said.
"Merry meet again." She replied, and his smile widened.
"Good. Well, good day." He said, and went to his car. Tia watched him drive off, and then went back to the lounge.
"I must say, he's an interesting one." Jaina said.
"He has matured a lot since I last saw him. I would never have thought it possible." Faye said. Tia sat down on the couch and settled back, listening to them talk. Faye and Susan discussed arrangements, and the next time the three of them looked at Tia, she was fast asleep.
"I should go, but I'm only a call away." Jaina said, standing quietly so as to not wake Tia. Faye smiled.
"Thank you for your support. We will talk in the next few days." She said. Susan led Jaina out, then went to the kitchen to start dinner. Faye covered Tia with a thin blanket, and then joined Susan in the kitchen. To Faye's dismay, Susan was standing by the fridge, crying.
"Oh my dear, what's wrong?" Faye asked, pulling Susan into a hug. Susan held her, sobbing. They stood that way for minute, until the sobbing subsided and Susan pulled back.
"Just all this. Seeing Tia in pain, hearing what that witch did to Ngaire. It's so..." Susan hiccupped, and Faye nodded.
"I know. It scares me too. I can't tell you that it won't get worse, but I can say it will all work out. I don't know when, but it will." Faye said. Susan stepped back and moved to the fridge again.
"Are you sure you're fine to stay here? I know it's a big move, but Tia is right. It would be the best thing to do." Susan said, blowing her nose.
"It will be hard, but I can do it. I'm not old, not yet, but I'm not young either. I can be moved by Friday." Faye said, sitting at the table. Tia walked in, looking groggy.
"How long was I asleep?" Tia asked softly, her eyes moving from Faye to Susan. "Mum, have you been crying?" Tia asked, moving over to Susan.
"I'm okay. Just overwhelmed. You were only asleep a half hour, probably less. It's been a big day for you. Why don't you go and have a shower, and I'll have dinner ready when you get out." Susan said. Tia hugged her fiercely, then went to get her things together for a shower. Susan looked at Faye.
"I'll help as much as I can. I have a few days owing to me, I can put in for Wednesday onwards off." Susan said. Faye opened her mouth to object, but nodded.
"That'd be good. Now. Let's get dinner started."