Chapter 30

The school holidays were coming up, and an idea had formed in Tia's head to travel to Elpherton and see her house. She had been pestering Josiah to take her, but he always seemed to have a reason why he couldn't. Work, Ngaire, their baby. She felt she had to take it upon herself, so she started researching the bus routes there and back. If she did it on a day when Susan had to work, she could be there by lunch time, find the house, and be home before Susan got home. The more she considered it, the more she liked the idea.

"Tia, you can't go to Elpherton! We don't know what your enemy is up to, she can still hurt you." Jaina said one afternoon. Tia never could hide anything from Jaina, she had six blabber-mouth sisters who told Jaina everything, and Jaina herself seemed attuned to Tia's mind. The joys of being her mentor. Tia scowled at the pile of books in front of her.
"I'll be fine. I won't be there long enough to use any magick, and if she feels me I'll get away  before she tries anything." Tia said sullenly. Jaina shook her head.
"No. You're not ready for Elpherton. And I bet Susan would ground you until you're ninety if you go." Jaina said. Tia picked up the books and put them on a shelf.
"Fine. I won't go. But on my seventeenth birthday I want to go there. I just...I need to. It's where I was born, it's where Aunt Faye lived. Surely it can't be all that bad." Tia said, almost wistfully.
"Probably not." Jaina conceded, "but until she is no longer there, it'll never be a safe place for you. I have told you before, and I'll say it again. Stay away from Elpherton." Jaina said.
"All right." Tia said, still feeling sullen. Jaina sighed, a finger rubbing her temple, but she left it at that. It wasn't a promise, but it was the best that she would get, and Jaina knew it. Tia went about her studies and chores, and Jaina made a mental note to talk to Susan.

"Dinner's ready." Susan called out as she set the plates on the table. Tia put down her pen, rubbed her eyes, and headed into the kitchen. A few weeks had passed since the lecture from Jaina, and neither Tia nor Jaina had said anything about the idea of a trip to Elpherton. Tia knew that if she mentioned it again she would be knocked straight down. She knew if she went on a Saturday she'd miss Circle, and she'd never hear the end of it. Tia sat opposite Susan and bowed her head dutifully as her mum said grace, then started eating.
"School holidays next week. Are you all caught up on your homework?" Susan asked between mouthfuls.
"Yeah. I'm sure we'll get some homework on Friday, but I can do that after my shifts at the shop." Tia said. Susan looked at Tia.
"I'm glad you're getting a bit of work, but I hope you get all your school work done first." Susan said. Tia met her mum's gaze.
"I'm only at work for six hours, then I will do my school work in the afternoons. And I'll have Sunday's off. But I will get work done each day before I hang out with my friends." Tia said. Susan smiled.
"Good. I'm glad you have a sensible head on your shoulders. I have work all weekend sadly, or we could've spent quality time together." Susan said. Tia nodded.
"I know, but we have next weekend, and the afternoons." Tia replied.
"True, very true." Susan said. They finished eating and settled down to watch some television, Tia on the floor with school work spread around her, Susan relaxing, laughing together at the antics on the television, but Tia was also planning in her mind. The bus left every hour in town to Elpherton, and the last bus was at eight at night, so she would easily be home before Susan. And she had her magick to protect her. Nothing would go wrong. Sootica padded over and sat next to Tia, looking up at her. She didn't make a sound, Sootica rarely meowed, but Tia knew what the cat was trying to communicate, and it wasn't 'give me food'. She rolled her eyes. Sometimes Sootica knew too much.

Tia managed to hide her plans from her sisters, Jaina, and even, she hoped, Sootica, though being her familiar she knew that Sootica knew more than anyone, and shared even less. Sometimes it was so frustrating.
Saturday night after Circle Jaina, Ngaire, Josiah and Tia sat at Jaina's kitchen table sipping mulled wine, the alcohol cooked out of it so Tia could have some. They were discussing the circle and enjoying each other's company.
"Are you planning something, Tia?" Ngaire asked. Tia nearly choked on her mouthful of warm wine.
"No. What makes you ask?" Tia replied. Jaina turned narrowed eyes on Tia, but Tia kept her eyes focused on Ngaire. The red head tilted slightly.
"Just a feeling you're planning a long trip, an all-day journey." Ngaire said. Tia did her best to hide her thoughts, shaking her head.
"I have no plans." Tia said, looking down at her glass. Ngaire blinked a moment, then a sound from the pram next to her drew Ngaire's attention away, but Tia could still feel Jaina's eyes on her.
Not long after, Josiah said they should go, and all four stood up.
"Tia, can I talk to you quickly?" Jaina asked. Tia looked at Josiah, who nodded. 
"We can wait." Josiah said. Tia followed Jaina into the lounge room.
"Tell me honestly, are you going to Elpherton?" Jaina asked, turning to face Tia. Tia looked away, and Jaina let out a sigh.
"I have already told you, you can't go! It is a dangerous place for you!" Jaina said softly so that Ngaire and Josiah wouldn't hear her as they collected their things and headed out to their car to put Micah in his capsule.
"I know. But something..." Tia started, and Jaina lifted a hand, cutting her off.
"It is not the place for you. I don't care what you feel, or believe you know, you are not to go there." Jaina said. Tia scowled.
"I'm strong enough. She can't do anything to me, and I'll have the Goddess and my sisters. She won't know I'm there. I just want to see the hospital, and the house, and then I'll come home." Tia objected sullenly yet stubbornly. Jaina shook her head.
"I forbid it." Jaina whisper-yelled. Tia stepped back, eyes wide, then stormed past Jaina, grabbing her things and heading out to the car where Ngaire and Josiah were waiting for her. Tia sensed that Micah had fallen asleep again, so she did her best to climb in lightly so as to not wake him.
"Everything okay?" Josiah asked as Tia buckled her seatbelt.
"Yeah, Just a minor disagreement. It's all good." Tia said, looking out of the window. She felt the exchanged look between Ngaire and Josiah, but walled herself off. Josiah drove her home, and Tia thanked them both, closing the car door behind her and heading inside. Susan was sitting in the lounge, a movie playing on the television, but Susan was clearly not paying attention, the mug of coffee in her hand slowly starting to slip. Tia pulled it gently out of her mother's hand and put it on the side table.
"Oh, Tia. You're home. Did you have a good night?" Susan asked. Tia nodded.
"It was a good night. Jaina, Josiah and Ngaire send their best, and Ngaire reminded me to remind you that you volunteered to help at Micah's first birthday." Tia said. Susan nodded.
"Gladly. Anything to help my God-grandson." Susan said, laughing. Tia smiled.
"Cool. I'm going to do some studying, then go to bed. I wish you didn't have to work tomorrow." Tia said genuinely. Even though she'd made up her mind to travel the following day, she would gladly spend time with Susan instead. Susan smiled.
"I know. Monday we'll have a girl's afternoon, just you and I, after you finish work." Susan said, standing and yawning.
"I look forward to it." Tia said, then kissed Susan's cheek. Susan smiled, then went into her room. Tia moved through the house, closing windows and making sure all doors were locked. Sootica appeared at Tia's side, meowing.
"I know you were fed, Soot. You can't fool me. You'll get fat." Tia teased, but gave her a handful of kitty kibble, which Sootica ate quickly, then looked up at Tia with bright blue eyes, and Tia laughed, then went into her room. Sootica perched on the bed, and Tia sat at her desk.
"Jaina's right, you know." Sierra said, appearing next to Tia's desk. Glancing up at Sierra, then over her shoulder at her other sisters, Tia sighed.
"I know she is, but if I don't go... I didn't tell her what I felt, what will happen if I don't go. That woman is searching for me right now. I know it. I can feel it." Tia said, moving to the bed and sitting down, Sootica moving to her lap. Tia picked her up and held her close. Sierra frowned.
"Why haven't you told Jaina? She's your mentor, protector." SIerra said. Tia slumped backwards onto her pillows.
"She would blow it out of proportion, and she'd cast a spell to stop me finding my way out of this house." Tia said.
"She wouldn't do that, not again." Courtney said. Tia looked at her.
"Are you kidding? This totally beats skipping a study session and circle cos I wanted to see a movie with friends, and not studying for her test. She'd ground me for a month if she could." Tia said. Courtney nodded.
"True. But she's only looking out for you. Tomorrow will be bad." Courtney said. Tia moved Sootica off her chest and stood up.
"If I don't go, something bad is going to happen. To me, to Mum, to someone close to me. And I can't scry. Something is stopping me." Tia said anxiously.
"Have you done Tarot? Jaina said you need to practice reading." Clara coaxed. Tia sighed and nodded.
"Yes. It has shown me so many cards, but the same outcomes always shows up. Be careful; danger. Even the Oracle cards say danger. I'd use an ouija board if they were safe. Can't any of you see anything at all?" Tia asked. All six women shook their heads. Tia sighed and changed for bed, her mind going over the next day's itinerary. Not another word was said, and Tia and Sootica settled down to sleep.
In Elpherton, Pernilla had kept a low profile during the circle, not really paying attention to Nicole, though she did her best to participate. All day long she'd felt something was going to happen, but the circle was working up to be a disappointment. This surely couldn't be what the energies were building up to. She played hostess, evading Nicole's questions, and once everyone had left she locked up and went to bed early. For some reason she felt the need to preserve her energy. All of her instincts were telling her tomorrow would be a special day.