Chapter Twelve

After dinner, Tia and Faye cleared away the dinner things, set up a plate of food for Susan, and they sat down at the table with a notebook and pens and pencils. Faye saw the eager look on Tia's face and smiled.
"Okay. How much do you know? Do you know the Runic alphabet?" Faye asked, Tia nodded. "Okay. Why don't you draw all the ones you know on this paper and their names, if you can." Faye guided. Tia picked up a pencil and started from the beginning, writing down all the names she remembered, even the blank, nameless rune was given a space between two of the runes. This impressed Faye, and they discussed the runes and what they could be used for. Once they had finished the lesson on runes, Tia looked up at Faye expectantly.
"What would you like now? Herb lore or history?" Faye asked.
"History, please. I have read many books, but I have heard that the history passed  through families cannot be beaten. And is probably more accurate." Tia replied. Faye smiled.
"Quite right. I won't swamp you with information that can be read in books and has been twisted to suit the authors, but some history isn't written in books. These can be found in family books, some witch's Book of Shadows, that kind of thing. I don't know if you have felt drawn before, but sometimes I feel drawn to old bookshops, antique stores, and I find an item here, a keepsake there, but I'm yet to find a witches Book of Shadows. That would be an amazing find." Faye said. Tia's eyes widened and she made a mental note to go to town after school and check the shops, though she wanted to avoid the magic shop, she felt the desire to explore. Faye saw the look on Tia's face, and touched her hand gently.
"Be careful. Sometimes the most innocent urge, the most basic, can get us in trouble. Don't go near that shop, and try not to go alone to town. Wear my amulet always." Faye instructed. Tia looked up at her, her eyes dark with understanding.
"I won't." Tia replied. Faye nodded.
"Good." She said, and they picked up the stuff on the table, put it in Tia's room, then settled on the lounge to talk history, herbs and rituals. Susan arrived home just after nine in the evening.
"I thought I recognised your car, Aunt Faye. What brings you here?" Susan asked, putting her food into the microwave. Faye hugged Susan.
"Just a sudden whim to come and visit my two favourite girls. I made dinner, helped Tia with her homework, and we have had a pleasant afternoon." Faye said. Tia nodded, and then yawned.
"I think it's time for bed." Susan said, and Tia stood up.
"I think so, too. Goodnight Mum, goodnight Auntie Faye." Tia said, hugging them both, and then she went to her room and shut her door, going through the routine of brushing her hair, her teeth, and going to bed.
Out in the lounge, Susan rested her meal on her lap, and looked at Faye as she lifted a forkful of chicken to her mouth.
"Why do I get the feeling there is an underlying reason to your visit?I mean, it's wonderful to see you, Faye. But I know how it works." Susan said.
"Susan, I promise there is nothing to worry about. If there was, I would tell you." Faye replied. Susan ate slowly.
"I believe you. You haven't led us astray yet. Do you want to come to church tomorrow? Tia has to be there early for rehearsal, but you're welcome to join us." Susan said, and Faye smiled.
"I would love that, thank you. When does Tia perform her Easter play?" Faye asked. Susan got up and put her plate on the sink, picked up her drink and sat back down again, relaxing.
"A few weeks, on Easter Sunday. She is really looking forward to it." Susan replied. They both relaxed, Susan curling her legs underneath her.
"Sounds wonderful." Faye replied, and the two women continued chatting into the night, both feeling relaxed and at ease, enjoying each others' company.

Sunday passed swiftly for the three women, though Faye was amused by the church service, it amazed her how much love there was in the place for their God. It also amazed her when the topic of Easter was broached, but she kept silent, enjoying the energy flowing around her. It was almost like a Circle, but she didn't reach for the energy like she would normally do, it was not hers to take. It went somewhere to the Beyond, and she knew these people would be blessed in their own way. She was the last person to judge on peoples' beliefs. She felt happy knowing others were. No more, no less. After church Tia, Susan and Faye headed home, had a late lunch, and then Faye said goodbye and headed back to her home. Tia and Susan waved her off, and then headed inside to prepare for the week ahead.