Chapter Four

"Nine Dead in House Fire!" The newspaper headline blared the next day. Susan collected the paper from her front porch and took it inside, removing the plastic wrap and looking at the big picture of the gutted shell of the house that Susan had rescued the baby from. The baby was asleep in the makeshift bed she'd made out of the baby capsule and a soft blanket, but Susan knew that wouldn't be sufficient for long. On her way home from work she'd stopped by an all-night Kmart and bought formula, bottles, baby shampoo and a car capsule. She was a little surprised to find it all there, but carried the baby around with her as she put the items into her trolley, the child staying asleep in her arms. Getting her home she made a sort of nest of blankets for the girl and had made up a bottle for her. She woke up not long after, had some formula, and gone back to sleep, and Susan, exhausted, had fallen asleep beside her.

Bringing herself back to the present, Susan checked the baby and got herself some breakfast, then sat down at her computer and browsed for things she needed - a pram, a cot and bedding to start off with. Instead of going with the fancy websites she shopped instead on social network sites, offering extra money for delivery which, to her delight, many people didn't mind. Within the hour she had arranged for the items she needed to be delivered, and she finished her now cold breakfast, turning the paper over and bracing herself to read the story on the front page.

"Nine Dead in House Fire! Late last night a family home in the suburb of Elpherton went up in flames. The blaze spread quickly through the house, killing all inside. The family were asleep in their beds, according to a firefighter, as the fire spread below, the smoke the main cause o death for all nine members of the family. According to sources there had been a power surge earlier in the night which had short circuited the smoke detectors and started a spark in the laundry, sending toxic fumes through the house. A memorial service will be held privately for the family and close friends. Rest in peace Peter Montgomery, 42, Katherine Montgomery, 39, Susan Montgomery, 12, Sierra Montgomery, 12, Clara Montgomery, 9, Courtney Montgomery, 6, Chantelle Montgomery, 6, Anna Montgomery, 3, and Amber Montgomery, 3 months. Due to the severity of the fire minimal remains have been recovered, but we have been told the entire family were still in their beds when the upper floor collapsed. Firefighters refused to comment further, but the grief on their faces were evident." The article stopped there, and Susan felt a tear bead on the end of her nose. She got a tissue and blew her nose, wiping her face. She looked at the baby in her resting spot, and sighed.

"We'll need to think of a new name for you then and concoct a story." Susan said. Amber smiled up at her slightly, and Susan put her things in the sink, checking the time. It would be a little while before the first delivery would arrive, so thought this would be the best time to call work and say she wouldn't be in for a little while, she needed time to get over the terror of the night before. Her captain was understanding, but said she couldn't take long off as she was needed, she was one of the best. Susan thanked her and hung up, then turned to the front door as the doorbell rang, and she answered it.

"Susan Robertson?" The man at the door asked. She nodded. He was holding a pram in his hand.

"Oh right. Let me get the money." She said, and went to get her purse, counting out the money and handing it to him. "Thank you." He handed over the pram and took the money, turning from the door and heading out to his car. She closed the door and put the pram by the door, assembling the pram to see how it worked, then folded it up again, propping it by the door. Amber let out a cry, and Susan moved over to her, picking her up.

"Hey, Amber." She said gently, touching the child's black hair. The girl's grey eyes looked back up at her. "Hungry?" Susan said as she moved into the kitchen, fixing up a bottle for the girl. Amber cried a little more whilst the bottle was being heated up, but drank down the formula easily, her eyes staying on Susan's, and she felt sudden love from her, and for her. She hoped that she could look after the child the way she needed to. The doorbell rang again and, still carrying Amber, she answered the door. A woman this time was at the door and Susan could see the small cot in the back of the ute.