Chapter 31

"It's you. I can feel it. Power all over you." Pernilla said. Tia stepped back, a bolt of fear filling her.
"I'm sorry, I think you have me confused with someone else." Tia said formally. Her sisters cowered back.
"I certainly don't. Your power is almost palpable." Pernilla said. Tia took another step back, feeling her sisters around her.
"Why are you here alone? This is not a good place to be. The house is cursed." Pernilla added. Tia's forehead furrowed in confusion.
"Cursed how?" She asked.
"Ever since it was rebuilt people have complained of smoke, and a feeling of lethargy." Pernilla said. Tia bit her tongue to stop herself from saying anything she'd regret. After a moment Tia took a deep breath.
"That is very strange. Maybe it's a remnant of the horror that happened there. Nine people dying can do that, I've heard." Tia said, glancing at the house.
"How did you know it was nine people?" Pernilla asked. Tia swallowed thickly to keep her emotions in check.
"Research, rumours. Neighbours talk." Tia said, gesturing to Agnes's house. 
"They do indeed." Pernilla said. Tia turned to leave, but Pernilla stepped forward quickly, reaching for Tia's arm, but Tia pulled away before the fingers touched her.
"Please maintain a distance." Tia said. Pernilla frowned. The girl had power, and was avoiding being touched. Something wasn't adding up.
"Are you afraid of me? Do I know you?" Pernilla asked.
"No, and no. You have never met me." Tia said, and turned again to walk away.
"Faye." Pernilla said loudly, and Tia stumbled to a stop, stiff and angry, and she knew the anger would easily be felt by Pernilla. She never was good at hiding her emotions. Tia slowly turned to face Pernilla, fighting the urge to clench her fists.
"My name isn't Faye." Tia said.
"No, but you know her. You're the child she was protecting." Pernilla said. Tia stood up straight.
"And you're the woman who murdered her." Tia said in clipped tones. Pernilla nodded, a flash of emotion showing on her face.
"I didn't remember until recently. I don't know why, but I did. Why was she protecting you?" Pernilla asked.
"Because she loved me. And..." Tia stopped, knowing anything else that was said could jeopardise her situation. Pernilla watched the girl, then quickly stepped forward and grabbed Tia's wrist. Tia pulled away almost immediately, but she knew Pernilla had felt something.
"Seven of you. Spirits. How? Why can't I see them too?" Pernilla mused.
"Maybe your power is weakening." Tia said. Pernilla nodded and sighed.
"It has, ever since my fight with Faye. You're a seventh daughter. That is very rare. No wonder I can feel power." Pernilla said. Tia nodded.
"Run, now." A voice in Tia's head said, and Tia didn't need to be told twice. She turned and started running up the street away from Pernilla. She heard Pernilla shout, her sister's screams, then something hit her in the back that sent her flying, and she landed on the nature strip as she lost consciousness.

Jaina was driving along the highway when she felt a pain in her back and a twinge in her chest. She gasped, slowing down slightly, looking for a spot to pull over.
"Tia's in trouble I can feel it." She said, seeing a place on the side of the road and pulling over. Jaina checked her watch as she waited for her heart to settle again. Josiah and Ngaire looked at her.
"Do you think she has her?" Josiah asked. Jaina nodded.
"I have no doubt. " Jaina replied. She looked at the clock and bit her lip, pulling back onto the highway and flooring it.

Tia woke up slowly, her whole body aching, and she tried to move, but she couldn't lift a finger.
"Susan? Sierra?" She whispered, but there was no response. Tia looked around as best she could, seeing candles and an altar. She tried again to sit up, but nothing worked. Tia looked up at the ceiling, feeling tears forming. A tissue was held to her eyes and she flinched, or would have if she could move.
"Let me go." Tia said softly. Pernilla looked down at her.
"Your power is too great to pass up. Don't worry too much though, you won't remember me, and you'll be, mostly, fine." Pernilla said.
"I'll never forget you." Tia said. Other figures moved in the room behind Pernilla, and Tia looked around at them all. "You can't take my magick. I need it." Tia added.
"No. I need it. Ever since Faye...my magick has faded. I need yours." Pernilla said. The others all looked at them at the mention of Faye, and one woman that bore a striking resemblance to Pernilla frowned. Tia met her gaze, and the other woman averted her gaze and turned away. Tia couldn't feel anything but the guilt was evident on the woman's face. Pernilla looked around.
"They don't know, do they?" Tia asked, hoping she'd found something to barter with. Pernilla rounded on her.
"You won't tell them anything either, or I'll make it worse for you." Pernilla snarled. Tia trembled, looking away, and Pernilla turned to face everyone.
"We'll get started in a few minutes." Pernilla said.
"Say something, now." Tia heard, and her eyes moved to Nicole, who was watching her. Tia took the chance.
"I know what happened to Faye!" Tia said loudly, or as loudly as she could, into the silence. Pernilla turned around angrily and moved to gag Tia when Nicole stopped her.
" She doesn't know anything!" Pernilla said sharply.
"I do, Pernilla, you killed her, because she was protecting me and leaving your coven." Tia said. The coven members stared at Tia, then turned their heads to face Pernilla, whose mouth was open in an unladylike manner.
"Be quiet, kid." Pernilla said. Tia looked at Nicole.
"She's right." Nicole piped up. Pernilla glared at her, then turned back to Tia, starting to chant, ignoring everyone else. It was almost exactly like Tia's dream, and she whimpered in fear. The coven members were torn: this was their old leader, but Nicole had verified what the child had said about Faye. Just then the door opened and Josiah, Ngaire and Jaina entered hurriedly. Tia looked at them.
"Help...help me." She gasped. Several things happened at once. Pernilla moved her hand to Tia's chest, Jaina hurried forward as Josiah moved to the other coven members, and Nicole grabbed Pernilla's hand.
"No more, Mother." Nicole said angrily. Pernilla lashed out, knocking Nicole back and she sprawled on the ground. Jaina got to the altar and grabbed Pernilla, pulling her back from Tia. Pernilla stumbled, her spell fading as Ngaire moved to Tia's side. Nicole got up and moved over to Tia as well.
"Let her go, Mother. It's over." Nicole said. Pernilla glared at everyone, eyes resting on Ngaire.
"I remember you. You came to my circle years ago." Pernilla said.
"I don't remember. But I was told I did. Now, release Tia." Ngaire said.
"I need her power. The Goddess is taking mine away." Pernilla said.
"That's your own fault." Jaina said, her hands moving to Tia's wrists. Pernilla moved to stop her, but coven members moved to Surround Tia, Jaina and the altar. "Get out of my way!" Pernilla screamed. Jaina looked at Nicole, who moved to Tia's feet. Jaina then turned her gaze on Pernilla.
"Do you think your power is fading for no reason? You used magick to take an innocent life. That is why your powers are waning. You did this to yourself. You are greedy and selfish." Jaina said, standing tall. Pernilla glared at her.
"You have no right to talk to me like that! You are nothing to me." Pernilla snarled. Tia gasped as feeling spread back to her limbs, feeling aches and pains all over.
"Don't sit up just yet." Nicole coaxed, and Tia settled back. She could see her sisters, though they were very blurry, their voices muffled as though they were coming from a badly tuned television.
"As a coven leader, and this girls' mentor, I have every right to say anything I want to you." Jaina said. Tia sat up slowly as Pernilla stepped closer to Jaina.
"Sisters, protect Jaina." Tia commanded, seeing the blurred shapes move between Jaina and Pernilla. Jaina glanced at Tia, and Pernilla seemed to come up against a barrier. She looked at Tia in shock.
"Who are you? You have so much power!" Pernilla gasped. Tia stood up, though her legs nearly buckled under her. Nicole helped her stay upright.
"My true name is Amber Montgomery, Seventh Daughter of a Seventh Daughter. You killed my family sixteen years ago to be rid of a threat to power. You killed Faye Dwyer because she protected me at that time, and for years after." Tia said. Pernilla went pale.
"I was told you were dead. You're meant to be dead!" Pernilla cried.
"Well, she isn't, and you're done, Mother." Nicole said.
"What are you going to do? Kill me? Take my magick? Then you'll be no better than me!" Pernilla yelled.
"They cannot, but we can." A new voice said, and Tia felt power fill the room. Everyone turned around to face the three cloaked women that stood by the door, each one wearing a circlet of gold upon their heads with the Triple Goddess symbol prominent at the front. All the coven members fell to their knees, as did Ngaire and Josiah. Tia, along with Nicole who helped her, knelt as well, and Tia's sisters lowered their heads, still standing between Jaina and Pernilla. Jaina knelt, but Pernilla stayed standing. The woman in the centre of the three stepped forward, eyes on Pernilla.
"Who...?" Tia stammered, and Nicole looked at her.
"It's the Triad. The Maiden, the Mother and the Crone. The three representatives of the Goddess on earth." Nicole explained. Tia's eyes widened, and she looked back at the three of them in awe.
"Pernilla Douglas. We have been watching you, and we could not let this go on any longer. You had a chance to live your life, but you were too greedy. You can no longer be trusted to harness the Goddess's gift." The Mother, Alfreda, said. Pernilla dropped to her knees.
"I did live my life by the Goddess's love and teachings, I did everything for her!  You can't do this to me." Pernilla cried.
"You were given many opportunities over the last sixteen years to atone for what you did. We were hopeful when you showed remorse for what you did to Faye Dwyer, but your actions today has proven otherwise. Your powers will be stripped from you, and we will take you someplace safe so you can't hurt yourself or anyone else." The Maiden, Vittoria, said, lifting her hand that held a wand. The Crone, Dahlia, and Alfreda moved at the same time, holding their own wands out. Pernilla cringed back, shaking her head.
"Don't take my magick! I need it! I'm nothing without magick." Pernilla screamed. All three women ignored her, lifting their hands and moving to stand around Pernilla, chanting in an old language. Tia watched in shock as a wispy cloud of light appeared around Pernilla, the light moving upwards in a misty column, disappearing through the ceiling, and Pernilla collapsed on the ground, sobbing. Dahlia bent over and placed a gnarled, wrinkly hand on Pernilla's head, muttering some words, and Pernilla's sobs subsided, the woman falling into a deep sleep.
"What will happen to her?" Nicole asked in a small voice. Dahlia stood upright, putting her wand away and leaning on her cane.
"Pernilla Douglas has been punished for her crimes against the Montgomery family, against Faye Dwyer, and others. She will live out the rest of her days at our Millbury enclave in England." Dahlia said. Nicole lowered her head, tears falling. People started standing, and Tia moved to do the same, but Vittoria held out her hand.
"You are weak, Amber. Someone get her a chair." Vittoria instructed, and one of the coven members hurried to obey. Josiah picked Tia up, a chair was placed in front of them, and Josiah put her onto it. Jaina moved over to her, as did Tia's sisters, and Tia looked up at the three cloaked women.
"I acted foolishly. I shouldn't have come here." Tia said. Alfreda moved to Tia and took her hand gently.
"No, child. It was not foolishness. This is where your path was leading you. To face the woman that caused such a change in your life. It was a test for Pernilla, and we are sorry you were part of it, but this also proved to us that you, and your mentor, are worthy of so much." Alfreda said, and Tia looked up at her in awe, noticing fleetingly that the woman's hands were growing old and gnarled themselves with age. Alfreda smiled.
"We of the Triad are not ageless. We grow old too, and we eventually move on in life. This is another reason we are here now. Dahlia wishes to pass on her Crone mantle to me, and live out the rest of her days at the enclave too, however Vittoria has a feeling that her path is leading her away from the Triad and having a family of her own. You and Jaina Monroe have held our attention for many a year. On the morning of your seventeenth birthday we wish to initiate you as our new Maiden, and Jaina as the new Mother of the Triad." Alfreda said, her bright eyes moving from Tia to Jaina. Jaina had moved closer as Alfreda had been talking, and she gasped. Tia gaped at the woman holding her hands. 
"I...I don't know what to say." Tia stammered weakly. Jaina had tears on her face.
"It would be an honour to serve the Goddess in such a way." Jaina said, lowering her head.
"You need not say anything right now, Amber. Your heart is pure, and you will excel at all you do. If you say no we will understand, but you have until the week before your birthday to decide." Vittoria said. Tia smiled, a little shyly and self-consciously.
"I mean no disrespect, my lady, but my name has been Tia for all of my life, and I would like it to remain as Tia...Tia Robertson. I like that name." Tia said softly. Vittoria smiled.
"I like it too. As you wish, Tia." She said. Tia looked at her sisters, who appeared to be shimmering.
"What about them?" Tia asked, looking back at the three women. Sierra stepped forward.
"We have served our purpose. We told you a long time ago that we would have to leave once everything is over, and it now is. We are to go on, be born again into new lives." Sierra said. Tia looked at each sister, tears starting to fall.
"I need you. I will always need you." She choked out, holding back her sobs. Sierra nodded.
"I know, and we'll always be with you, in here." Sierra said, a hand over her own heart. Tia looked from sister to sister, committing each face to memory.
"I love you all, so, so very much." Tia sobbed, wiping at her eyes. Anna stepped forward, and Tia reached for her, but she was still only spirit. Tia looked at Alfreda.
"Please. One hug. One last hug." Tia begged. Alfreda had tears in her own eyes, and she pulled out her wand and waved it, muttering a few words. Those in the room that hadn't been able to see the sisters gasped as all six appeared before them, and Tia  turned back to her sisters. She reached out to Anna, her hand meeting solid flesh of her arm, and she pulled Anna close, hugging her tight, tears flowing steadily now as she held her, then hugged each sister in turn, feeling strong arms from each of them, immense love from all of them. Tia then hugged Anna again, holding her close.
"I'll...I'll miss you all." She choked out between sobs.
"We will miss you too, baby sis." Sierra said, then they all turned and walked away from Tia, fading into nothing as they reached the far wall. Jaina put her arm around Tia's shoulders as the girl cried. She finally composed herself and sat up straight, looking up at Alfreda. But the three women had moved their attention over to Nicole.
"Nicole Douglas. We have watched you, too, and are proud of the woman that you have become. You are a strong leader, more so than your mother ever gave you credit for. The Goddess smiles upon you." Vittoria said, and Nicole smiled back at them.
"I hope I keep making her happy." Nicole replied. Vittoria nodded.
"The link between yourself and Tia is now severed, I know it wasn't easy at times to feel, and for that we say that you held yourself exceptionally well." Vittoria replied. Nicole looked at Tia, her eyes wide, but she smiled.
"Faye's gift protected me too. The dream catcher worked well." Nicole said, looking back at Vittoria. Vittoria nodded, then as one the three women turned to Josiah and Ngaire. Josiah stood almost to attention, but Ngaire cringed, head bowed. Dahlia moved over to Ngaire and touched her cheek.
"You need not be afraid of us, Ngaire Thornton. Things did not start out well, but you have made up for your wrongdoings." Dahlia said. Ngaire looked at her.
"I am fair ashamed of all I did. I was reckless and selfish. It was my fault Tia was in danger." Ngaire said. Dahlia smiled.
"No, child. You did what you had to at the time. No one is to be blamed. All happened as it had to. It is true you will never be a strong witch again, and we are sorry about that, but you will be a great teacher to many." Dahlia said, and looked at Josiah, but it was Alfreda that spoke.
"Josiah Thornton, such a strong man, a blessing to all. The shops will be yours once Jaina is initiated into the Triad. We do not have many High Priests as it's usually women that lead our covens, but you are the exception. You will be a strong leader for many years, as will Micah after you." Alfreda said.
"I will do my best, with my family by my side." Josiah said, pulling Ngaire close. Alfreda smiled. Her, Dahlia and Vittoria stepped back, and a man had appeared, picking up Pernilla unconscious body. Nicole stepped forward and kissed her mother's cheek.
"She will be cared for." The man said, and moved to the three women.
"We will see you again on your seventeenth birthday, Tia. Until then, blessed be." The three women said in unison, and the three of them and the man holding Pernilla vanished. No one moved for a few moments, then Jaina took point, and with Nicole's help they cleared out the altar room. The house was now Nicole's, and she could do with it what she wanted. Josiah carried Tia out to the car and got her strapped in once phone numbers were exchanged as Tia wanted to stay in touch with Nicole. Ngaire, Josiah and Jaina got in the car, and Jaina turned the car towards Rossdale.
"Am I in trouble?" Tia asked in a meek voice. Jaina glanced at her, eyes soft as she smiled.
"I suppose not. Things happen for a reason, there are no coincidences. I'm not happy you went against my orders, but I would never have imagined all of this happening, not in my wildest dreams." Jaina said.
"I think we will all be pinching ourselves ourselves for a few days to come. Goddess, that was intense." Josiah said. Ngaire smiled at him.
"Do you think Mum will be mad?" Tia asked.
"She doesn't need to know. We should get back before her, and I'll say I stopped by." Jaina said.
"She wouldn't understand." Tia said.
"I don't know if I understand. But it will all  work out." Josiah said. Tia sighed.
"I feel so alone. I'm used to having my sisters around." She said wistfully. Jaina nodded.
"They served their purpose, now it's their turn to live and continue on as the Goddess wishes." Jaina said softly. Tia wiped at her eyes, mourning her family.
"I have one more request, if I may." Tia said.
"What's that?" Jaina asked. Tia looked at her.
"I would like to see the hospital I was born in." Tia said.
"Probably best to just go home. I'll bring you another day. Maybe Susan would like to come too, and see old friends. There is nothing stopping us now. We can make a weekend of it." Jaina said. Tia smiled. Things would be different now. No one would terrorise her again, her enemy was gone, and her future was bright.