Chapter 22

Despite the lateness of the night, Susan was up early for work. Faye met her in the kitchen.
"You're up early, Faye." Susan said, tucking into a breakfast burrito.
"I don't sleep as much as I used to. And I got the feeling you needed me this morning." Faye said. Susan sighed.
"I do, indeed. I can't stop worrying. About Tia, about the future. I know you said all will be fine, but something inside me doubts that. A mother's instinct maybe, but I know it'll get worse before it gets better." Susan said. Faye sipped some tea as Susan spoke.
"It's natural to be worried, but you have nothing to worry about. She's protected, and the minute her sisters, or mind-friends, lose touch with her, they will get help. Nothing can get to her without Jaina finding out." Faye assured Susan. Susan finished her breakfast, rinsing her mug, and she then grabbed her things.
"Just promise me that tonight..." Susan paused and took a deep breath to stop a sob escaping, "...tonight you protect my daughter. If anything was to happen to her..." Susan stopped talking, the lump in her throat making it impossible to finish the sentence. Faye hugged her gently.
"I swear no harm will come to Tia whilst in mine or Jaina's care." Faye said. Susan sagged slightly.
"That's the best I can expect, I suppose. Okay. But if anything happens, I'll never forgive myself." Susan said. Faye nodded with understanding. Susan took another deep breath and picked up her bag.
"Have a good day." Faye said. Susan shrugged and left, closing the front door behind her. Faye didn't move until she heard the car engine fade in the distance, then she moved back into the kitchen, sending a mental prayer up to the Goddess.

After a day spent in town, first at Living Energies then lunch at a local cafe, Tia and Faye headed home. Faye hadn't gotten Jaina to swear yet, but the shop wasn't the place to do it. Tia's mind-friends stayed away most of the morning, but Tia hadn't noticed. In the back room of the shop her and Faye had done more studying, both in Wicca and the play the next day, though Tia had been very careful not to give away much of the show. But in all it was a good day. Faye promised Jaina that her and Tia would be at Jaina's by six-thirty, then Faye and Tia went home and watched a movie with some of Tia's mind-friends. After the movie Faye prepared a bath for Tia, purified with salts and oils to prepare the child for her first Circle. Unbeknownst to Tia, Faye had purchased new robes for the girl, in the palest of blues Faye could find, a sturdy material that would serve its purpose until the child grew out of them. It was folded in the car, ready for that night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ngaire hadn't bothered opening the shop, though she knew people would need supplies for the equinox, she felt it best to focus on the night ahead. She was starting to get a bad feeling, but she couldn't pull out now, for two reasons. One, she was too curious, and two, she knew if she didn't turn up, Pernilla would definitely be suspicious. She'd tried to call Josiah a few times, but he'd not answered, nor had he called her back. After packing her car for the overnight trip she set out, intending on arriving early and preparing herself for the circle. Although she'd bathed in ritual herbs the day before for her own Mabon circle, she felt that it would be wise to do so again. She had a feeling that she would need all the protection she could muster.
Once arriving at the motel three hours later, she checked in and went directly to her room, checking out the bathroom. The bath was tiny, but she hoped it would suffice. She didn't need to fully submerge, but it would be enough. Ngaire sat on the bed and unbound her hair, her long fiery locks falling about her waist. She looked at herself in the mirror and did a double take. For a moment she saw the figure of a woman reflected in the mirror, an old woman with wispy hair. The look on the woman's face was sad, but caring. When Ngaire looked back at the mirror, the image was gone, replaced with her own pale face. Ngaire hoped it was a sign that showed she was cared about, and she lay back on the bed, setting her alarm for half past five., then dropped off into an uneasy sleep filled with images, the last  one of a young woman with long black hair, all alone and crying. Ngaire woke up with a jerk, heart pounding in her chest. Why had she been shown these things? The woman had looked slightly familiar, but the more she tried to focus on the image, the less clear it became. Not wanting to forget entirely, she pulled her notebook to her and a pen, writing down everything she remembered. Looking at the clock she saw it had just gone five in the afternoon, so she ran hot water into the small bath and added the oils to the running water. Once the bath was sufficiently full, Ngaire slipped into the hot water and let the fragrance of lavender, rose and jasmine swirl around her. Odd combination, she knew, but all three were her favourites. She washed her hair, and then soaked in the water for a bit longer, wishing she could wash away the feeling of the dream so easily. Standing up slowly so as to not slip in the bath, she stepped onto the mat and dried off, draining the water, then dressed and tied her hair back in a neat plait, though she wondered if she should unbind it for the ritual.