One Last Thing

“I didn’t think you’d agree to all this,” 

Katherine lifted her head, turning to look at Lucien as he followed Vincent with his car. It was well past midnight, the streets empty enough for them to get away easily without any problem. 

Katherine hadn’t stepped into New Orleans in years, her eyes were taking in the view of the city that Klaus took so much pride in. Calling the city his empire, she had always been curious to see what it was about New Orleans that made the originals call it home.

She had to admit, there was charm within the streets of New Orleans. A strange calm in the bustling crowds, people exiting bars and restaurants some with friends and others enjoying the night solo.

Katherine still preferred Brooklyn.

“What do you mean?” She asked in her usual bored tone. They had been driving for two hours straight, entering the outskirts, Katherine yawned as she rubbed her eyes.

Lucien shrugged, keeping his attention on the road. 

“Given your history with Klaus, I’m surprised that you agreed to help,” He said, glancing at Katherine.

“You agreed to help too,” She pointed out in reply.

 Lucien said, “I have nothing to lose,”

“Is that so?” Katherine asked, amusement in her voice.

Lucien shrugged again, tapping his fingers against the wheel. Vincent had the cars spelt beforehand to make it harder for them to be caught. He remembered the extent of Vincent’s powers, there wasn’t much doubt in his head regarding their safety.

Mithila was able to take care of Elijah, that alone was enough for Lucien to trust her strength.

“I’ve made wrong choices all my life,” He replied, a truth evident in his words, “For the first time I feel like I’m doing something right,”

Lucien turned to look at Katherine with a small smile on his lips.

“I don’t think I will beg if Klaus were to kill me again,”

“That makes the two of us then,” Katherine snorted softly, smiling along with Lucien.

Lucien watched as Vincent’s car slowed, taking a left turn, as he crossed what seemed like a farm gate. The sound of the tires crushing the gravel soil was audible as he followed behind.

As he further drove on the path, Katherine stared at the long dense trees that covered their vision on both sides of the path. The moon hung behind the thick grey clouds that coated the night sky. The car lights illuminated their way, their surroundings void of any souls.

“We’re here,” Katherine mumbled, leaning forward to take a look at their destination. A small white gate became visible behind which a pathway of firelights was set up, guiding them ahead. The closer they drove, the more Katherine could make out what looked like a small cottage.

Vincent’s car came to halt a few moments later, Lucien made a stop not so far behind him.

Katherine unbuckled her seatbelt. She opened the door, glancing around as she stepped outside. A gust of wind blew, tearing through Katherine’s dark hair as she turned to walk towards the other car in front of them.

She watched as Mithila slid out of the backseat, Aliza following behind her. Mithila immediately wrapped an arm around her daughter, holding her close as if she were afraid that someone will take Aliza again.

Vincent stepped out from the driver’s seat, slamming doors shut. Katherine knew little about the man, but she had seen how he was able to overpower Marcel and the hybrids just by the snap of his fingers.