Chapter 1: On The Pitch

[Louis P.O.V.]

I kicked the football as hard as I could. It sailed through the air and smacked into his shoulder.

'OW' shouted Harry angrily, 'WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?' he frowned with his arms out.

'WELL GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY YOU KNEW I WAS AIMING FOR THE FUCKING GOAL' I shouted back.

'BOYS...' sighed Liam.

I moved to this University to finish my degree seven weeks ago. I thought joining the football team would be a good way to make friends and get some exercise in between lectures. Liam, Zayn and Niall were great guys. Harry however... we couldn't have been more different.

I was twenty three and loud. I loved sport, music, had a tight ass with the sass to match, was bossy, and was a leader. Harry was twenty one and had a Californian vibe. He was laid back, a bit Indie, wrote a lot of poems, wore tight jeans, old suede boots, necklaces, rings, and hats with feathers. His hair swayed about on his shoulders when he went out socialising on the weekends (so I was told). He was effortlessly cool. He got on with everybody. Except me.

The five of us were taking the same degree - BA in Music Production. I preferred the production side of music, whereas Harry was a writer and a singer. I was told that Harry had a presence on stage and a low rock voice that vibrated out of his lower throat effortlessly. I had no idea - I only played football with the him and shared the odd lecture with him, and even then it had only been seven weeks of tension.

'ALRIGHT GUYS I THINK WE'LL CALL IT QUITS' suggested Niall as he blew the whistle.

Harry, Liam, Zayn and Niall walked back to the locker rooms. I sat on the pitch alone and sighed in frustration. I was unlacing my boots when I heard the patter of feet running back towards me.

'LOU' shouted Liam.

'Hi mate' I smiled up at him.

'Was it an accident?' he knelt down.

'Yeah it was.'

'Look, if you got to know him you'd like him' pleaded Liam, 'Harry doesn't have any enemies for a good reason. He's a bit soft, to be honest.'

'Did I bruise him?!' I joked.

Liam wasn't laughing.

'Alright fine' I huffed, 'why does he always block me on purpose he knew I was aiming for goal...'

'I don't know' sighed Liam, 'I think he just gets irritated by your constant orders...'

'He's too fucking slow on his feet.'

'Look' cut in Liam, 'there's only a few weeks left of the semester and that's it, we're done forever, so can you try to get on? I'd hate to kick you off the team just because you don't get on with one of us. And we don't want a scrap at graduation!'

'Okay fine.'

Harry and I only ever had one proper fight, and it was after my first lecture seven weeks ago. I was just new and didn't know anybody. Harry was loitering by the lecture hall doors talking to a group of girls. I made a stupid comment about his bum being too flat for his jeans as a way of starting some friendly banter, and somehow it erupted into a full-blown argument in the corridor. I was only joking - that's how my family banter back home - but he clearly wasn't used to my sense of humour and he took it personally. Liam and Zayn stepped in to quieten us down when we began shouting because a crowd had gathered, but once I start an argument I have to win. Harry walked away from me so I ran after him and pushed him so hard that he tripped over forwards. Looking back now I realise I was trying to prove myself as the "new kid" but I ended up coming off worse. Liam, on seeing my new face, asked me once everything had calmed down if I wanted to join them for some friendly football practice on the Saturday morning. I said yes because I love team sports - they bring out my competitive side. Liam then introduced me to his friends Zayn who was smouldering - a bit of a bad boy in a sensual way - and Niall who was Irish and had been rolling around laughing in the corridor with his camera phone to record the fight. Liam then bravely introduced Harry as the fourth player in the team. We looked away from each other in utter contempt. And that was our first meeting.