Chapter 24

Lexa winced as she leant against the wall. Her face, although still beautiful in Clarke's eyes, was decorated in stitches. Her leg sported a strong brace.

As it had turned out, her fall had taken quite the toll on her body. She had broken her ankle and knee in several places, and she had managed to crack her head open on the way down. The rest to Lexa was gibberish, but she had learned that she had bruised some of her insides. Abby had mentioned she was lucky.

"Are you okay?" Clarke said softly. A soft hand rested on Lexa's chest as her wife looked up at her, blue eyes radiating in the warm sun.

"I've never been better" she smiled

"You look like you have been" The blonde joked, motioning to her rather fashionable leg brace.

"Ah yes. You never fail to make me feel better" Lexa said sarcastically, before she remembered "I spoke to Gaia. She's going to help me through my nightmares"

"Finally. You know, Lexa. It would have been way easier if you had just told me" Clarke ran her hand gently down the side of Lexa's arm

"I know. I apologise"

"Apology accepted." Clarke smiled "Listen, there's been something I've been meaning to talk to you about"

Lexa sighed "What has happened now?"

"Well, nothing" Clarke shrugged "I mean I don't think it's that bad it's just preparing you for..."

"Thalia wait up!" Amell interrupted, running past them in the streets of Polis, feet kicking up lumps of dust as he tried to keep up with the girl

"Will your slow ass ever catch up?" Thalia questioned him with a quirked brow

"If you slowed down? Yes!"

Thalia smiled and pecked him on the cheek. His face glowed red in recognition, and the girl laughed at him "Pussy"

"Ah..." Lexa nodded "I see"

"What's your plan"

Lexa shrugged, watching the young adults take off running after each other again "We let them live"

Clarke smiled, wrapping her arms around her tall, brunette wife and resting her head on her shoulder "That's a good plan"

"I know it is" Lexa chuckled.

She was about to bring up the idea of returning home again, when her eyes caught a glimpse of a familiar walk.

Cora trudged through the market, her hands in her pockets and her head ducked to avoid catching the sunlight in her eyes. She kicked a stone, watching it roll along it's edges until it finally came to a hault. It seemed, she was too busy following the rock to deliver it's next kick that she forgot to watch where she was going.

Her head collided with that of another young girl, and they both yelped, jumping back from one another clasping the tops of their heads. The other girl looked to Cora with large, soft brown eyes a sweet smile decorated her youthful lips. Cora apologised profusely, hand still planted firmly on her own head while she awkwardly waved her other hand in exaggeration.

It seemed, that it would be the birth of another friendship. Perhaps even more.

"You know that story of you and Costia in the markets?"

Lexa hummed, scratching her chin "No sleep overs"

Clarke laughed, nodding "I think I might have to agree with you on that one"
________________
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Perhaps Lexa's life could have played out a lot better. In another life, she would have saved Costia and found her happiness in her. In another, she'd have found Clarke sooner. Perhaps, in yet another she was on the ark with Clarke. She had ran through the many lives she could have lived many times. And yet, none of them came anywhere close to the life she was living right then and there.

She sighed, placing her sheath of arrows and its bow on the patio. The tower of Polis had once been her home. But the small house herself and Clarke had built held a special place in her heart. She couldn't possibly leave it.

"You've done well for yourself" Anya smiled, leaning against the tree not far from Lexa.

"It's not what you wanted me to be"

"You're commander. Is that not what I trained you to be?" The older woman looked around with a smile on her face "And you will be the greatest commander to have ever lived"

"So far" Lexa added

"Perhaps. But there's no doubt you will go down in history for it" Anya pushed herself off of the tree, making her way towards her

"I don't understand... are you really here?"

"Of course I'm not." Anya shook her head "But when I realised you were just going to allow her to shoot you like that? That's not how I trained you to act"

"Why didn't you just leave me? It wouldn't be the first time"

"Because I knew faith wouldn't be so kind to you a second time, Lexa." Anya nudged her with her shoulder "You're not the only one who can't stop protecting people, child"

Lexa looked down at their boots. Her own were covered in specks of dirt. Clearly riddled with use and wear. Anya's were crystal clean.

"I'm proud of you" Her mentor squeezed her shoulder with a proud smile

"Lexa?" Clarke called from the kitchen. Lexa jumped, spinning around and peering into the house

"You are needed now, Lexa. I must go." She reassured before adding "Costia sends her regards"

"But-" Lexa turned back to face her, but when she did, she was faced with empty space. A small blue feather lay in her place.

"Hey" Clarke frowned as she approached, resting a hand on Lexa's back "Who were you talking to?"

"Nobody" She shook her head, standing "Just myself"

"Jesus you really are getting old" She placed a soft kiss on her forehead "Come on, I need your help in the kitchen. I can't reach the top shelf"

"As usual" Lexa chuckled, rising from her place on the patio.

"Har har, Lexa"

In the distance, she could see Luna and Raven on their way for dinner. Raven's loud mouth echoed past the trees, even going so far as to scare a few birds from their nests. Her arms flailed around comedically as she explained something to Luna, who's head was turned the other way, clearly not listening.

"Let's lock the door" Lexa smiled sweetly.

________________
Okay guys... breathe. Deep breaths. Nice one. Keep doing that. In french or Spanish or whatever language you speak if English isn't your first.

Y'all felt it. You know it. It's coming to an end. Dw tho, I'll let you know when it's done done. I love you all so so so so so much.

Comment and vote and tell me what you think and all that jizz. I mean jazz.