6 / virago

be careful
for even the devil
has a pretty face

song
this is home
cavetown

——————
Charlie
——————

Running sucks. And I'm talking about myself here. I'm the girl who spent hours on The Ark's track running just to distract myself from my own life troubles.

Okay, small correction. Running sucks when you're sprinting through the woods, helping a injured 15 year old keep balance, while you try to keep your own injured and sore body from falling over. To top it off, Octavia kept tripping over her own goddamn feet.

After the little Jasper incident, which only seemed to remind me of Josh, I basically threw Octavia to the ground, shielding her body with mine. Then, here we were. Running. We hadn't gone that far, a sixth of a mile, if my calculations were correct.

A far-away scream erupts from behind us.

"Jasper. He's alive." I exclaim to the others, before nodding to Octavia. We both turn and race back towards the potential danger.

Oh yeah. We weren't alone on Earth. So, I had been right. I felt like someone was watching us, and someone was. Just fucking amazing. Surviving was already going to be hard, but trying to live with spear-happy Earth people?

The others trail behind us as we stop behind the tree line, hoping to stay hidden. I squint my eyes, looking across the river, where Jasper was just a minute ago. Instead, A bloody tree replaces him.

"Oh fuck."

An arm grabs me, one that I recognize as Finn.

"Come on, Princess, we gotta go." His voice pleads. I wanted to help. No, I needed to help Jasper. But I couldn't. What was I gonna do? Swing myself across the river and beat the shit out of these Ground People? I'm still just a kid. Still helpless.

We all turn, and dash back into the forest.

☁︎︎ ☁︎︎ ☁︎︎

Not much later, or hours later, I couldn't tell. Monty trips. I honestly forgot the kid existed for a quick minute. He was quiet, but in the good way. The boy probably wouldn't judge me for much, and would be a good friend, or ally, if it came to it. A pang of sadness mixed with empathy hits me. I don't know what I would do if Clarke or Octavia had been taken.

Me and Octavia pick him up, but are soon mesmerized by the objects on the ground. Bones. Human bones. A dark, brown color. Ew. That's disgusting.

"Who are they?" Finn questions, breathless. It was almost like he didn't want an answer.

"What are they?" Clarke asks. I look up. In her hands was a human skull, but it looked squished down and deformed. Only one solid thought comes to mind. Radiation.

"We gotta get going. Now." I direct, smacking the skull out of Clarke's hand, urging her to run. I keep assisting Octavia, but we soon fall behind the others, due to both of our injured legs. It was a good five feet, and we seemed to maintain that distance.

As I said before. Running sucks.

We must've been moving —without any break— for hours.