9 / redamacy

and when you finally heal
you might just see why you broke

song
moment
vierre cloud

——————
Charlie
——————

I was back at Jasper's side. It had been three days since we rescued him, and two days since Bellamy and I's trip into the woods. Although I don't know if Clarke knew the time that had passed. She rarely left Jasper's side, and when she did, it was only to grab more supplies to help him. I was gone quite a bit, helping kids build tents, making fires, collecting water, helping build the wall. I really did try to be there for Jasper, to stay with him, but the whole situation overwhelmed me.

"His pulse is 380." Clarke whispers to herself. We were both kneeling over him, and Monty was sitting in the corner, working on the control panels. His pain level had only gotten worse. The wound looked infected, and even in his unconscious state, it was clear it was painful. His groans had increased in frequency and in sound.

"Go back to sleep!"

"Quiet!"

The delinquents were not fond of the dying boy, that was for sure. I sit back against the wall and push my head between my knees, trying to muffle their calls.

"Don't listen to them. You're gonna make it through this, okay?" Clarke says to him. I wasn't too sure of that. I wasn't as educated as Clarke was when it came to the medical area, but I spent enough time around Abby to know what this meant. Jasper was at risk for sepsis, if his body didn't fight off the infection.

"Can't he just die already?"

I squeeze my knees tighter against my ears. Nothing I could do would block out their words.

"I'm gonna get some clean water. Keep an eye on him." She directs. I couldn't see, but I'm guessing she wasn't asking me. With a clang of the ladder, she was gone. I keep my head between my knees, praying that Monty wouldn't try talking to me. Thankfully, the boy wasn't in the mood for a chat either.

☁︎︎ ☁︎︎ ☁︎︎

Clarke cleaned his wound again. I tried not to count, I really did, but this was the sixth time in the hour.

"The Grounders cauterized the wound. Saved his life." She puzzles.

"Saved his life so they could string him up for live bait." Finn says, pacing the room. I hadn't moved from my spot, although now my head was not hidden between my knees. "Garden of Eden this ain't."

"This is infected." Clarke notes. "He could be septic." I had thought about that possibility hours ago. Monty looks at his friend, lost in thought.

"Any process on using the wristbands to contact The Ark? Monty?" Clarke adds after the boy doesn't respond, his gaze stuck on Jasper.

"That would be a firm no." He says after a pause.

"My mother would know what to do." Clarke sighs, looking to me for reassurance. I offer none. I felt silent, unwilling to speak. It didn't feel right.

"How's he doing?" I hadn't even noticed Wells had entered the room.

"How does it look like he's doing, Wells?" Clarke spits out, anger lacing her voice.