18 / noceur

she flies with her own wings

song
needs
verzache

——————
Charlie
——————

A day later, just after nightfall, Octavia bursts into our tent.

"I found it." She rummages through her things. "I found the white flower."

I sit up, closing the book I was reading with the help of a flashlight. We had gone back to the depot today and collected everything else, including the books and the music player. I was given all of the books—thanks to Bellamy—and right now, I was reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. The music player was taken by Raven, so she could see if any of the parts were usable.

"You're sure?"

"Yes."

We pack our things in strained silence. Millions of thoughts blow through my mind and curiosity was threatening to spill from me. I pack my knife on my hip, just in case. The camp was mostly awake—people eating dinner or messing around. Thankfully, no one notices us leaving. Wordlessly, Octavia leads me to a plucked white flower that sits on a tree. She takes it in her hand before looking in the distance, finding another flower tucked into a tree. We travel deeper and further into the woods, following a trail of flowery. It didn't take long before I figured out where we were going. I lead the way now, Octavia close behind. The flowers were merely a confirmation that I was traveling to the correct place.

Soon, we end up at the trapdoor that led to the cave Octavia was locked in. She quietly opens it, dropping inside. Cursing softly to myself, I drop in after her silently, closing the trapdoor behind me. We were in the hallway yet again. Correction. I was in the hallway. Octavia had already traveled to the open room, which was illuminated by a fiery light.

"Lincoln?" I hear her say. I stay behind, slowly making my way to the room. Although 'reckless' seemed to be my best friend, caution remained my middle name.

"Octavia." He says. I could practically hear their hug.

"I- uh." She starts. "I need you to stay calm, okay?"

I step into the brighten room. Lincoln makes eye contact with me, immediately stiffening, hand flying to a long knife on his hip. His other hand was covered in cloth, covering his wound.

"Hi." I say cautiously. "You remember me, right?"

"You apologized for the boy, and fed me," His eyes dart to my arm, to my cut. "I remember you."

"I'm not here to hurt you, I promise. I just want to talk with you."

Octavia looks between the both of us. "Lincoln, she's my best friend. I trust her."

Her words seem to conflict him, drop his guard. My eyes dart around his home, noticing the wall of weapons was much more grand than I originally thought. There was a small fireplace in the corner, bright flames crackling. A bedroll, blankets, and some food and water in the corner. I step over to the weapons wall, delicately reaching out to the sword I had touched many nights ago, before the storm. Now, in the good lighting and more time to observe, I notice that the sword was still thin, long, and slightly curved, and that the cover was made of snake skin. On the hilt, was a crisscross design from thread that probably gave you a grip while holding it. There was also a strap attached to it.

"This is a katana, right?" I ask, dragging my fingers across the scaly cover that I now confirmed to be a scabbard. I focus on the sword in front of me, not turning back.