14 / aleatory

being against evil
doesn't make you good

song
this side of paradise
coyote theory

——————
Charlie
——————

"Everyone! Grab a weapon and get ready." I toss the bag of weapons down, watching as a small group of older kids surround us, grabbing different handmade weapons.

"My sister's been out there alone for twelve hours. Arm up. We're not coming back without her." Bellamy stands by my side. The dead night sent chills throughout my body.

Octavia was gone.

She wasn't in the camp.

I glance down at the weapons—but don't take any. I didn't like running with spears, they got in the way. Instead, my knife was safely secured on my hip.

Jasper bends over and picks up a weapon, along with a torch. I watch the younger boy's face. Guilt racked it. Clarke steps up to him.

"Jasper—you don't have to do this. You haven't left camp since we brought you back." She discourages.

"Clarke... I need to do this." He murmurs back.

"We need all the people we can get." Bellamy pips up, leaving my side.

"We also need a tracker." I move with him, not wanting to be left behind. Clarke nods. "Finn, get your ass out here."

He takes a few minutes.

I spend those minutes counting my fingers. Over and over, moving my thumb left to right, tapping from my index to my pinky. One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four.

A hand catches my own, gripping the tops of my fingers against his palm, stopping me from my fidgets.

"Hey." Bellamy speaks softly. I look up to him, searching his eyes for anything. "I have hope."

He drops my fingers from his hand, tilting his head slightly. I take a deep breath, closing my eyes.

I didn't have hope, at the moment. I could only pray that he had enough for the both of us, as I did for him earlier.

Finn joins us, and starts yet another conversation with Clarke, pulling her to the side. I notice his brown hair was shorter, but I didn't have the energy to make fun of it. Not when O wasn't here.

"Guys! Come here!"

The older kids who were coming with us break out into murmurs.

"What is that?"

"It's so beautiful."

Bellamy and I rush over, Clarke and Finn close behind us. Kids point to the night sky. To the stars. What looked to be a meteor shower rains down from the heavens.

I knew better.

"The flares didn't work." I whisper.

"A meteor shower tells you that?" Bellamy inquires. He knew better as well, he just didn't want to say it.

"It's not a meteor shower, Bellamy. It's a funeral." I could feel the tears well up in my eyes.