11 / abuvion

i'll survive
somehow i always do.

song
sometimes (backwood)
gigi

——————
Charlie
——————

A sharp, painful ringing bounces throughout my head.

Then, nothing.

☁︎︎ ☁︎︎ ☁︎︎

"Get her... be quiet." Faint, distance voices try to pull me.

Still, nothing.

☁︎︎ ☁︎︎ ☁︎︎

Shooting pains run through my face, taking me from my unconscious state. I groan, keeping my eyes squinted shut.

"She's up." A voice mutters, getting closer. "Morning, sunshine."

I snap one eye open, surprised to see the dark of night instead of daylight. Octavia peers from above me, tilting her head.

"Let's get you sat up." I open both eyes slowly as she sits me up, letting my eyes adjust to the darkness. Jasper kneels over someone. We were in a tent. My tent, I realize.

"What time is it?" I bring my fingers up to my cheekbone, lightly touching the sensitive area. I breathe in sharply, pain shooting through my face.

"An hour or so after nightfall." Jasper speaks, looking up from the unconscious person. I squint, recognizing a familiar head of curls.

Fear runs throughout my body. I open my mouth to speak, but Octavia interrupts, handing me some water in the process.

"Bell is fine. Probably concussed, but fine, from what we can tell."

I take a few sips, before crawling over to the unconscious boy, feeling his neck for a pulse. Steady.

"I'd like to check—can you grab a torch?" I ask Jasper. "I want to see if his pupils respond to light."

Abby Griffin's 101 of brain trauma. I've heard it all before. Jasper moves out of the tent, nodding to me.

"Char, he's alive. Not brain-dead. He's even come to a couple times."

"I know, O. I still need to check." I rack my mind for possibles. "Any seizures or fits?"

"No."

"Um- clear liquid, or blood from ears or nose?"

"None, from what we could tell."

"Vomiting?"

"Nope."

Jasper enters the tent, a small torch in his hand, the flame lightening the room up. I would have to deal with the shitty resources. Pulling one of his dark eyes open, I hold the torch somewhat close to his face, not close enough to burn him. The shadows dance off of his face, making me squint as I watch his eye.

A sigh of relief pools out of me as his pupil constricts in the light.

I do the same with his other eye, getting the same results. I also check his nose and ears for any fluid, but that seemed okay.