16 / quartervois

love me like my demons do
harshly, yet deeply

song
i hear a symphony
cody fry
hehe - ;)

——————
Charlie
——————

Three days pass since the Grounder was captured. In those three days, hell had broken loose within my own body, ripping me to shreds.

I got my fucking period.

Maybe my reaction was a slight over exaggeration.

It had only lasted two days and was very light—a result of malnutrition and my contraceptive wearing off. On The Ark, whenever a woman gets her first period, they get their first contraceptive implant. Men usually get them whenever they seem fit. It is a device that is inserted in your right arm by a shot. The implant maintains your hormone levels, prevents pregnancy, and stops mensuration for a maximum of five years. After those five years, the implant simply dissolves and deteriorates down to nothing. 

I got my first period when I was thirteen. I was eighteen now. Of fucking course no one thought to give me a new one before we came down to Earth, just my shitty luck.

The period itself wasn't terrible—pretty painless, only a couple bad cramps. I was pretty snappy though, I had realized.

Bellamy pissed me off, for some reason. Just seeing him had made me irrationally angry.

Maybe though, I had a right to be angry. The Grounder was a pretty good excuse.

Aside from bleeding out of my uterus and the Grounder, things were getting better with the camp, with The Ark. Last night, Raven had used one of the screens from the Drop-ship, and created an actual face-cam—we could see The Ark, and The Ark could see us.

It felt so weird to see my father again. To see his face—yet not him, like watching a documentary.

That's what me and Clarke were doing right now, listening to Jaha and my father talk from that tiny screen in a small tent that now has been claimed with the bulky machinery that Raven had created.

"What do you think, Charlie?" Clarke asks. I snap out of my thoughts, glancing at the webcam above the screen.

"Sorry—what was the question?"

"The Grounder. Can he provide any insight on how to survive winter?" Jaha repeats.

I pause, furrowing my brows.

"I don't think so. He doesn't understand us." Lie. "But we're doing everything we can here to prepare—curing meat, gathering nuts and berries, digging for roots. Hard truth is, we'll freeze before we starve."

On The Ark, temperatures never changed, really. We weren't used to freezing cold winters or blazing hot summers. I guess it was good that we landing during an autumn season—not too cold, not too hot.

The camera shakily panes to my father, who was seated next to Jaha.

"There's good news on that front. According to civil defense plans from before the war," He glances down to a tablet in his hand. "There's an old emergency aid depot not far from the landing site."