38 / carmine

***
i know my love should be celebrated
but you tolerate it
~tolerate it~
~taylor swift~
***

charlie kane

***

It was almost dawn by the time we made it back to Camp Jaha. We didn't stop for breaks this time.

The Grounders had wanted to keep Finn. We didn't know what to do. We ran. It was messy.

Finn killed those people. They were children, elderly, young mothers.

He was at the back of the group, walking alone, unarmed. Finn stopped trying to talk to Clarke, hell, to anyone hours ago. We were all silent anyways. There wasn't anything to talk about.

The buzz of the gate opening and the shouts of the night watch guards seem extra loud in the quiet night air, the only noise prior being the sounds of insects buzzing.

It seemed routine at this point: guards grabbing my arm harshly, taking my gun--but not my sword or knife--and practically dragging me inside camp.

Abby storms up to our small group, fuming as her eyes travel across each and every one of us. "You were under direct orders, Clarke."

Clarke's eyes were glazed over as she stares at her mother, defeated. Then, she shakes her own guard off of her shoulder and walks past her.

"Clarke!" Abby calls after her.

I sigh. "Stop being hypocritical, Abby. A week ago you helped us escape when it meant finding Clarke. Let's face it. You can't force us to stay here."

She stares me down.

I look at the guard holding my arm, silently asking him to release his grip. He does. I take a step closer to Abby.

"Besides," I whisper. "We have a bigger problem."

***

Abby blinks. Then blinks again, this time focusing her eyes behind me. "Don't let those two boys out of your sight. Bring them to the holding cell. I'll be there soon."

She had spoken to the guard holding both John and Finn. While John begins to protest as the guard forces them towards the holding cell, Finn cooperates, staying quiet with his eyes trained on the ground.

Bellamy and Octavia's guards let them go. They both step up to my side, watching Abby expectantly.

Abby turns back to us. "As for you three... it's late. I know you haven't slept and you need a shower. Holland will show you your designated quarters. I'll get your statement later." She sighs. "I'll deal with Clarke."

My eyebrows perk up. "Showers?"

Octavia breathes out. "Quarters?"

Abby looks between us three. "James was scheduled to start his break five minutes ago. Find him, he'll show you."

The offer was unresistable. We were beat. I was exhausted.

For now, at least for the next six or so hours, I knew we were safe. I could breathe. Sleep. Eat, maybe.

Abby turns, obviously going to find Clarke.

"Wait," I call after her. "My father?"

There was no hope in my voice. I knew if he had been at camp, he would've been here.

She just pauses mid-step. "No word."

***

We find James at the guards tent, and surely, he knew of his duty to show us our quarters. He leads us into the Ark, through different hallways, a sheet of paper in his hand.