17 - Sugar We're Going Down

Good day my little ducks. 

Triggers:

- Underage smoking

***

because I can't breathe anymore. 

***

Harry

Is this more than you bargained for yet?

Breathless. That's how Anna Rose leaves me most of the time, out of breath and tripping over my own feet.

The glint in her eyes whenever she's about to say something either slightly controversial or when she knows she's about to catch me off guard, playing me like a fiddle.

That's my favorite look on her when she stands up for herself, a sarcastic little ball of energy.

"Come on, Oliver, I would totally win all of you in a fight; there's not even a question about it." She pauses her hand halfway to her mouth, throwing the grape at Oliver instead.

"No way, Anna, I'm three times your size." He argues, shaking his head for emphasis. "I have tact and wit. Is this where I bring up the fact that I broke into the school successfully." She replies smugly, pointing a finger at herself.

"I agree with Anna; she'll win. Did you see that open palm slap?" Louis says, shaking his head as he pulls the air between his teeth, whistling.

"Hey Oliver fuck you, I'm tough. Louis said so, I'm the baddest bitch." I nod my head without realizing, only stopping when Niall gives me a look.

Anna shuffles around where she lays, her head on my thigh, her body spread out on a blanket. "Anna, you cry every time you see a dog," Mell interjects from her position in the circle, right across from us.

Anna covers her face with her palm, turning away, her cheek digging more into my leg. "They just don't know how darn important they are; it's heartbreaking." She whispers, looking down at the ground.

"I still think you'll win; you got the fighter in you," Louis says next to her, his hand coming to rest on her thigh softly, making me smile. Louis's life has been the roughest out of all of us, yet he's so compassionate when it comes to Anna. He's fiercely protective of her, and l know that she looks up to him in many ways.

"You also dance with fish..." I remind her. She heaves herself up, nearly knocking my forehead with hers, but I yank my head back just in time.

"English, we're supposed to be a team." She says slowly, whispering as if it's a secret.

She crosses her ankles, her elbows resting on her knees. "None of that; we need to stick together." She continues making me laugh; she's really adorable.

"How about I drive all the way to town to get you some ice cream?" Her eyes light up. "I hate ice cream, but I can go for some cotton candy."

I open my arm for her, she leans in, immediately wrapping her arms around my waist. "It's fifteen minutes away; you'll see her soon."

"I'll come with you." I look down at Anna smiling when she's already looking at me. "No, I'll go; you enjoy the sun," I tell her. She smiles knowingly, completing the beautiful painting in front of me. "Cool."

She knows that I need to be alone for a bit. "Cool." How does someone feel at home and everywhere I long to go at once?

The thoughts that cloud my mind while driving to town are all about Anna; like every beat of my heart, she's a part of me now. She's the narrator of the story.