Future. 5/5

Curt carefully guided Owen's hand, and soon Owen was slowly slicing up the cucumbers.

"Still can't believe you don't know how to cook." Curt smirked, watching his lover in a silent battle against vegetables.

"Shut up Curt, I'm trying to focus."

It had been a few months since they had ended up in the future, and Owen had grown quite attached to it. He knew that he told Curt that they had to leave, but he wasn't sure he'd be able to.

He'd grown attached to being able to kiss Curt whenever he wanted. He had grown attached to saying "I love you" outloud.

They'd made a deadline. Well, less of a deadline and more of a deal. If the time machine was finished before the wedding, they'd wait until after the wedding. If it was done after, they'd leave as soon as they could. And Owen, despite himself, hoped that the machine would never be finished.

He'd thought about not going back more then he'd care to admit.

The future was sickenly sweet and highly addictive. He was hooked. He didn't want to go back.

And then the guilt started to eat at him. He had already told Curt they had to go back. They had to go do their jobs. They were spies, and goddammit, spies are forever! It's not something you can just walk away from!

"OWEN! THE MUFFINS ARE BURNING!"

A bitter smell and Curt's yells brought him back to the present. He snatched the oven mitt from the counter and pulled the now slightly burned muffins out of the oven.

"Whoops." Owen simply stated. Curt just laughed, and Owen couldn't help but join.

It was all so... domestic. It was a warm feeling that Owen had yearned for at three in the morning back in the past.

It was in that kitchen, laughing about burnt muffins with Curt, that Owen understood the meaning of the word 'home'.

Owen wasn't even aware that he was crying until he felt Curt place a hand on his cheek and brushed away his tears.

"Owen, it's okay. It's just some muffins, and they're not even badly burnt." Curt murmured. He stood on his tiptoes and planted a soft kiss on Owen's forehead.

Owen kissed Curt's palm in response, before intertwining his hand with Curt's. He refused to make eye contact with Curt, worried that Curt would see what he was thinking about.

"Owen?" Curt asked softly, his eyebrows scrunching in concern. "Hey, look at me."

Their eyes met.

"I know this isn't about the muffins. What's wrong?" Curt muttered.

Owen just shrugged, unwilling to let Curt know about his struggle just yet.

"Okay. That's okay. That's fine. Why don't we watch a movie?"

And so Curt grabbed as many blankets as he could find, made up popcorn, and only struggled a little bit to get the movie up and running.

It was Tangled, a personal favorite of them both. It was Curt's favorite because he saw himself in Eugene- it was Owen's favorite because it was Curt's favorite.

The popcorn bowl warmed Owen's hands as Curt ran around turning off the lights. Soon he was finished and sat down on the couch, wrapping himself and Owen with a few blankets.

The movie provided background noise to Owen's decision. Maybe it was a bad decision, maybe it was the wrong decision, but Owen didn't care. It was his choice.

"I..." He paused, cleared his throat, and tried again. "I... I want to stay."

Curt stiffened. "Are you sure? This isn't just because I want it, right?"