the sins of the fathers

TW: lowkey religous trauma, internalized homophobia, swearing

---

Owen hadn't prayed in years. He stopped ever since he figured out what he was, who he loved. He felt like his world had broken and everything he knew was turned upside down.

Overtime he found the confidence to tell himself he didn't believe anymore. That the years sitting through sermon after sermon wouldn't affect him anymore. That the things he'd heard his father say all in the name of religion would no longer pertain to him in anyway, shape, or form.

Still, they found a way to sneak back into his brain.

Everytime he fell in love with another man, he had to battle himself for the right to not feel disgusting. He fought away the memory of his father's voice condemning him for who he was. He fought away every "marriage is between and man and a woman" that had been engrained into his mind since he was a child.

And then Curt Mega entered his life.

Owen had never really fallen in love like he did with Curt Mega.

It wasn't until two years after they had met that Owen had even realized. And once he realized, everything went to shit.

He tried to act just as friendly as he had before, but it was very evident that something had changed. Even Curt Mega, as dense as he was, noticed it. And he decided to bring it up at a most inopportune time.

"Did I do something wrong?" Curt yelled over the gunfire. Owen looked at him incredulously.

"What?"

"Did I do someth-"

"I heard what you said, just," Owen shot two of their attackers, then ducked back behind the table he and Curt were sheltered by, "what the hell are you talking about?"

"You never go out drinking with me anymore. I feel like you're avoiding me, even when we're on assignments together. I was just wondering if I had done something wrong?" Curt asked before peeking over the table and shooting two more CHIMERA agents.

"Is now really the best time?" Owen agitatedly replied as they avoided more bullets.

"Yes, because I know if I brought this up anywhere else you'd come up with a convenient excuse and leave. You can't really do that here," Curt gestured to the men currently shooting at them.

Shit, Owen thought, he's right.

"Well, right now we need to focus on getting out of here," Owen shot three of the five men that were still standing, while Curt picked off the final two. "Very good. Let's go then," Owen began to walk towards the door, but Curt caught his wrist.

"Promise me we'll continue talking about this later. It's... important to me." Curt's eyes were filled with determination and something else. A deeper feeling that Owen wasn't quite sure he could describe. So all he did was nod.

"I promise."

The car ride from the blown up CHIMERA lab was another place that Owen couldn't escape from. Since he was, you know, driving the car.

"Okay, fess up. What did I do wrong?" Curt asked, while peeling an orange with a machete.

"Please be careful with that," Owen said instead, eyeballing the huge knife out of the corner of his eye.

"Relax, once I've made a cut I'll use my fingers, okay? Besides, you didn't answer the question." Curt, true to his words, discarded the machete and went at the orange with his hands.