chapter 16- A Single Red Heel In His Grasp

Ra’s Al Ghul’s POV

My grip tightened on Ashleigh’s wrist as I pulled her away from the wall. Her chocked sobs caused my heart to hammer in my chest. I did not want to hurt this woman, but at this point it was necessary. I pulled her into my chest as I began to manoeuvre myself though the thickening blackness which surrounded us, suddenly Ashleigh screamed and all I could see was a spreading black liquid through her dress, her blood. I let go of her wrist as I saw her collapse to her knees in front of me, she was not going to die again. I stumbled backwards, and then tried to grasp Ashleigh but my hands only met the air, as Ashleigh’s body had faded into the blackness. I spun around to see a mask I was all too familiar with, and in his arms was Ashleigh “hello Ra’s.” I lunged for the unconscious body of Ashleigh ,but suddenly the butt of a small had pistol struck my cheek, causing the copper taste of blood to spread through my mouth, the world around me began to spin but all I could see was red, as the real reality began to reappear. A wide open door way was my only way to escape the screams and on coming sirens of the guest and the Gotham city police. The world was distorted and cruel as the Scarecrow’s infamous fear toxin had infected me; I stumbled away from the house, as blood poured from my mouth and cheek, and water poured from the black sky. I would get Ashleigh back but not tonight, tonight was victory for the Red Hood.

The Scarecrow’s POV

I searched though the screaming masses of people only to find Ashleigh was missing. I ran into the hammering rain as my heart stood still in my chest where was she? I looked for any sign of Ra’s Al Ghul, only to see a thick trail of blood leading into the dark night. “Ashleigh!” I screamed into the night as the visible evidence began to fade away, because of the rain and the oncoming glare of police lights, heading towards my destination. I ran back into the screaming house, and grabbed the disguised friends who knew me well enough to bring gas masks. We ran to the back of the house, and burst through a large glass window, causing more people to scream in horror as we escaped, the fear toxin produced scene behind us. I couldn’t help looking over my shoulder hoping to catch a glimpse of Ashleigh but that vision never happened, as we ran back into the dark of Gotham City.

Ashleigh’s POV

The rain hit my face as my eyes refused to open, as I knew the person who had rescued me from Ra’s Al Ghul and now carrying me away from Wayne manor was not the Scarecrow, but suddenly the loss of those of those arms which carried me caused my eyes to shoot open dramatically, to reveal red. Suddenly I kicked my legs upwards flipping myself, while doing this the quick glances behind me where all I had to reassure me that I had terrain to land on. My grip-less heels slid along the rain soaked concrete. I looked up and saw his man had a silver pistol tucked into his belt loop; I stood up straight and looked at this man with a red hood, “why did you take me away from Bruce Wayne’s manor?” he didn’t speak he just cocked his head to the side and slowly raised his hands up to the edge of his mask, and slowly slid it off his face, revealing a man no older than twenty-five, with jet black hair, high cheek bones, a squared off jaw and a domino mask placed over his eyes, “I took you from the Bruce Wayne Estate because I knew Ra’s Al Ghul would be there, and I know he is highly interested in you.” He said this while approaching me; his biker boots gave a dull thump against the water sodden ground below us, causing me to start walking back, I narrowed my eyes, “why are you interested in Ra’s Al Ghul?” he stood still stopping his advance, “because he brought me back to life, and he’s a terrorist.” He stated, my eyes widened with shock he was like me, but why did Ra’s Al Ghul only want me? But again the man in front of me began advancing, “one thing I do not understand is why he’s interested in you. Yes, you are pretty but that doesn’t give a huge motive to try and kidnap you.” I stood still, Goosebumps raised on my arms as the harsh cold wind blew past us, but when I stood my ground so did the man, with the red hood, “he’s interested in me because to him I died an unjust death and he took it upon himself to bring me back to life, bringing back justice.” I held my break as the man in front of me narrowed his eyes in a calculating way, “how did you die?” he asked as if it was a completely normal question, and for us two it was, “I was kidnapped by Bane during a set up car crash, I was impaled by a piece of metal. I tried to stop the bleeding by stitching it back up, but I just couldn’t, my skin ripped even more increasing the bleeding.” I gasped as a sob threated to escape, I could still imagine the pain. I looked up at the man and pulled off my lace mask, “how did you die?” he stepped forward and met me toe to toe, “the joker was hired by Ra’s Al Ghul to distract batman, and to do this he needed me. He beat me with a crow bar, and left me to die. I tried to escape but a bomb was set to blow, batman never made it.” He was a robin, and the only one I knew which had been killed by the joker, was… “Jason Todd.” I whispered out loud, the man leaned back slightly and then forward again and looked down at me, “yes, Jason Todd is my name.” he said brushing off the fact, “you were a robin, the joker killed you.” He nodded and took a step back, “now you know my name can I guess yours?” he smiled showing some very white teeth, I shrugged and smiled back, “go ahead, Jason Todd.” He nodded and looked at me, with speculation, “well, Bane reappeared last year. The car crash orchestrated led to one woman who was severely injured, as most of the blood at the scene belonged to her. Eventually the woman’s body was brought in by the Batman, cause of death blood loss.” He paused to take a gasp of air, “your Ashleigh Clark, the kidnapped Doctor from Arkham Asylum.” I nodded and looked down to my waist; I could feel past blood pour from my side, as if I was in some vivid dream, “I should go.” I whispered dreamily, but it was true, The Scarecrow was possibly looking for me, and with no doubt so was Ra’s Al Ghul.

I began to step backwards away from the hero in front of me, and as he began to advance I had to run. The rain hit my body harder as I sped through the rain, my heels slick against the wet tarmac, soon roof tops came into view, and all I could do was push myself harder to make it back to the Scarecrow. I looked over my shoulder to see the biker clad Jason Todd reaching out to me, soon the wall came into view my long nails scrapped and pulled me up the red brick wall until slate tiles slid against my grip-less shoes. “Stop! Let me help you!” he shouted from behind me as he ran whole heartedly through the gravel rain, I could have listened to him, but I didn’t want to. I leaped through the heavy air, onto further rooftops. Suddenly my body was shoved to the ground, my red hair spread all around me. His face was so close to mine, I could feel his breath on my lips, but I would never want this. I wrapped my arm around his neck and flipped him onto his back over my hip. He got up quickly and grabbed my heel foot, so I just pulled leaving a single red heel in his grasp, as I ran into the night in search of the man I loved.