chapter 7- Time Seemed To Stand Still

Ashleigh’s POV

My eye lids fluttered revealing the golden light of the room where I had fallen into a deep and mystery ridden sleep, but on opening my eyes it revealed a straight faced and silent Lucas, why was he here? I pushed myself up from the silk sheets which wrapped around me like a second skin, “Lucas why are you here?” he didn’t even move his yes to look at me, “I must make sure you stay here.” Suddenly his eyes flickered nervously towards me, “why must I stay here Lucas?” he gulped hard, and dryly spoke, “because the batman and the scarecrow are here.” Suddenly I leaped up from the bed and bolted towards the door only to be pushed back by the scrawny arm of Lucas. I looked up at him and growled, “Let me go.” I gulped once again, “you know I can’t Ashleigh.” I sighed, and looked back at the ornate door which would open and reveal so much of my past life. “Pretend I knocked you out, and then I can leave.” Lucas sighed heavily and looked to the floor, “I can’t do that Ashleigh.” I sighed harshly and looked through the curtain of my hair, “then I’m sorry Lucas.” He opened his mouth only to be welcomed by my bare fist coming in contact with his cheek and upper jaw. He collapsed to his knees as his head fell forward, as he drifted into unconsciousness.

Scarecrow’s POV

The tunnels where deadly silent around us, as we walked through the passages of old Gotham, Suddenly we could hear the patter of footsteps which seemed to engulf us. Suddenly we came to a halt, which the penguin silently growling under his breath, “the league of shadows.” Suddenly the batman grew tense; the paranoid feeling of eyes watching all of us became more and more evident as soon figures emerged from the shadows, Each glinted which a silver streak, a blade. I slowly unclasped my scythe from my back and slowly slipped it into my sleeve, finally the first figure lunged towards us, blade I grinned under my mask as I smashed my scythe forward leading the pole to collide with the figures lower jaw causing comic like blood to spatter from the shadows mouth. Suddenly another shadow lunged towards the bat, which lending him to kick the form into the passage wall causing a crack to echo in the tunnel. Another figure played forward and ran towards my dull blade of my rusted scythe, I could feel flesh of the figure break against the dull blade, causing more comic blood spatter, emanating from the forms side. Suddenly there was a harsh tug from the Bat. I grinned insanely under the mask I wore, and dropped six vials of my fear toxin. The passage soon became dull blackness which was soon filled with violent screams.

Ra’s Al Ghul’s POV

Screams echoed from the far away, I gritted my teeth hard as I ventured fast into the darkness which surrounded me. Suddenly echoed footsteps ran fast through the tunnel system, were they friend or foe? Suddenly the black forms of my shadow warriors surrounded me, “sir the scarecrow is here, and his fear toxin has blocked off the right main tunnel.” I growled under my breath, “get my mask and make sure your men have them too.” The man in front of me nodded rapidly and sped off behind me, how dare this pitiful excuse of a man think he can reclaim what I have took. I stalked forward further where I came face to face with one of my men, his face was contorted in fear and as I ventured into the dim light of the tunnel he began to screams and scramble away from me, and his eyes were wide with terror and his voice screaming for help. I crouched down to the man and looked in his eyes only to see the true horror which lay there, “are you afraid of me?” I mused as the man could no longs claw himself away from me, he screamed once again. I was discussed with what fear could do to the strongest of my men, “pity.” I growled as I wrapped my hand around his neck and with the slightest flick of my wrist the man grew pale, and lifeless.

My men returned wearing their mask shielding their faces, I grabbed mine from the man hands and placed the thick material over my lower face, it was time to get rid of this pest, this man who believed he would be forgiven by a woman who he left for dead. This blurred fiction of his must end.

Ashleigh’s POV

My heart pounded as I ran through tunnels which twisted wildly, my feet caught on the broken lace and fabric of my dress as I race to meet this man, this Scarecrow. I ripped off the lower half of my dress as and pushed myself harder to run faster through the dark and damp underworld which I was living in. suddenly a voices so familiar echoed around me, I slammed into a turn and pushed myself trying to get to the strange voices I could hear. Suddenly I recognised the faint smell of smoke, and my voice trembled, “fear toxin.” But I couldn’t let my body stop; suddenly the voices were as clear as day, “there’s someone else here.” My breath came heavy and thick, suddenly a manic chuckle spread through the air, “well they better show their face.” Suddenly the burlap masked face of the so called scarecrow appeared in front of me as I was pulled through the thick black smoke by my wrist, and my heart stopped, as the man pulled off his mask to reveal his scarred and shocked face, “Ashleigh?”

I couldn’t breathe, my heart stopped as I reached out to the man in front of me, my fingers gently grazed his cheek then suddenly I was gripped by my shoulders and twisted round, to face a man involved with the shadows as if he belonged there, “Ashleigh? It’s me, Batman.” Suddenly I could remember him saving me from a devastating attack which involved the fear toxin. Then once again I was twisted around by the wrist to come face to face with the scarecrow. My heart now jump started in my chest, “how are you alive?” suddenly the Batman’s deep voice reached out of the shadows, “Ra’s brought her back to life, just like he did with Jason Todd.” He looked at me with soft eyes, which were filled with what looked like regret, “I let you die.” He let go of my wrist and looked down at his burlap mask which he twisted in his hands, I looked up at the man who thrived on fear only to see him full of agony, “you couldn’t have saved me. But now you can.” He looked up from his burlap mask, with what seemed to be determination. A small smile tugged at his scarred lips, “where do you want to go?” I smiled; all I wanted was to feel his lips on mine again, like I so often remembered. I grabbed his hand and felt the rough skin which lay there, I felt him shiver as his hand travelled over my arm as I gently placed my hand on his cheek, and time seemed to stand still.