25

At the general's residence, Jing Yi had gone to sleep. Jing yi felt uncomfortable for some reason, so he woke up to inspect what was happening. What he saw was, the residence caught on fire. The fire had spread all around the room. Jing yi tried to find a way but everything seemed futile. He threw whatever he could at the door, and escaped from his room. Outside the room, he heard screams of people in agony . He tried walking out the corridor but slowly, the smoke had blurred his vision and he was breathing more and more smoke.

Jing yi tried getting to the exit, but the fire had taken a toll on his body. The smoke was everywhere. And he couldn't stop coughing. When he felt himself losing consciousness, Jing Yi could do nothing but see a burning pillar fall on him.

Feng ling had arrived at his residence. After he had been informed, he travelled day and night. When he finally reached his residence's gate , all he saw was ashes. The once grand manor of the general was left in rubble.

Soon , a guard came to Feng leng. He went on to tell fengleng everything that had occurred that day. The household had been as usual but at night, the fire had started from three different places, so it was difficult to control the fire on time. It was known that the culprit of all this had been some loyal followers of yu yan. Though the left minister's whole family had been imprisoned and sentenced to death, few of the people who were loyal to yu yan had started the fire as yu yan's final command.

When the guard had started to imply that jing yi had not survived the fire, feng leng stopped the guard.

On the way back, feng leng had been informed that many had not been able to survive the fire and jing yi had been no exception. Feng leng denied that with his whole heart. He was not ready to admit until he saw for himself. But seeing the damage of the fire, and all that was left, he couldn't hold back the tears that brimmed out. Looking into the devastated remains of his residence, feng leng remembered back the last time he had seen jing yi and the promise they had made.

" xiao y......... , you had promised ......you would wait for me."

Feng leng had lost everything again to the fire.

5 years passed by. The empire had been peaceful ever since the war and the relations with the Yuan empire had strengthened through wang shu.

All was well, and the emperor had called upon a celebration for his 3rd child. After fulfilling his duties to be present in the event, not wanting to stay long, Feng leng came to his residence's garden where jing yi had always been waiting for him. But now, there was no one. The general's residence had been reconstructed. Everything had been built back to how it had been before. Though feng leng had been keeping himself busy with work, every now and then he would come back to his residence and reminiscent his time with jing yi.