03.

The sun had gone down and the sky had been enveloped in darkness, ashes from the bonfire were carried by the wind as they cascaded to the floor. Boys were dancing all around the large fire, some sat on logs and some stood in a ring shouting and chanting names and insults. He was sat on the floor, his knees tucked up slightly an his back rested against a wooden log, his eyes were trained on the stars in the sky and how beautiful they were, he felt a twist in his stomach and closed his eyes momentarily before opening them again. While his eyes were closed, someone sat next to him, when he opened them again he peered at them from the corner of his eye. Tall, slim but well built, blonde with grey eyes. His body language suggests he's cocky and arrogant while also seeking validation from those around him and especially those with authority. He looked back at the stars again a second later, they reflected in his eyes and had he not been in the company of this person he would have felt relaxed.

"I'm Jay, short for Jason. I'm a builder, a great one actually," his voice was scratchy and overly confident as he rested his arm on his knee, having opted fro sitting on the wood rather than the floor because god forbid he gets a speck of dirt on his pristine uniform, pretentious fucker. Rather than replying to jason's attempt at a conversation, he carried on looking above him, however the former was not deterred easily.
"Hey! I'm talking to you, its polite to answer back," he tried again.
"Full offence but i dont really care, go away."
"Im only trying to be friendly, you dont see anyone else lining up to speak to you-"
"That's the way i like it, i dont want to be your friend and i dont want to be your special project to parade around like a charity case now," he turned his head to look at him for the first time and sent a glare that drained the colour from Jason's face, "Piss. Off." Jason got up and left, scratching his right arm and looking a lot like a dog with his tail between his legs. A small smirk was sent over by someone who was watching from the other side of the bonfire that went unnoticed by him who had returned his attention to the sky.

A while later, chuck had carefully walked up to him and sat down cross legged on the patch of grass next to him. "Hey, i-i wanted to tell you that's i thought it w-was really," he paused to take a breathe and repeated the last of his sentence, "really cool how you dealt with Jason. Nobody has EVER made him look like that, he left to sulk in his bed," he turned his head to look at the younger boy and the corner of his mouth twitched slightly.
"Thanks kid." Chuck seemed to be finding something else to say, obviously wanting to carry on speaking but he hadn't prepared himself for any almost kind responses. He picked up on this and felt a strange need to please chuck and speak with him. He looked around and his eyes stopped on the ring of boys. Perfect.
He turned his head back around to look at chuck, "what's goin' on over there?" He nodded his head towards the ring. Chucks eyes lit up slightly with excitement and turned to look where he was talking about, he smiled and turned back to him.
"That's a fight ring, they're mostly the builders but they have to be pushed out of the circle to lose, two people are fighting and everyone else watches. It's mostly galley fighting, he likes that stuff." He took a breath having said that in one go in case he decided he didnt want to talk to him anymore.
"I'm gonna go watch then," he stood up and walked off, dusting himself down as he called to chuck without turning around, "you comin' or not short stuff?"
Chuck hurriedly stood up and ran to walk with him, exhilarated he hadn't been told to leave him alone yet. "I'm not that short you know, josh says I'm average height for my age, I'm thirteen. Josh is my friend, he's been here for about six months and doesnt brush me off like other people."
"You may be, however you only come up to just under my shoulder so that means youre short."

Chuck left his comment on being short, not wanting to irritate him and be told to leave and they were soon standing on the outside of the ring. "I cant see," he complained. The older of the two made his way through the group, brushing passed shoulders and knocking people as he made his way to the front, chuck followed behind and soon they were both at the very inner part of the circle. He cackled as he saw a boy being pushed out of the circle and knocking over another.
"Hey greenie, you up for a fight?" The boy who had won the previous game turned to he once he spotted him. Lean, muscular from physical labour,  dirty blonde hair shaved close to his head, brown eyes and pointy eyebrows.
"That's gally ," chuck whispered to him.
"Oh absolutely," he rolled up his sleeves and stepped into the ring, he planted his feet in a fighting position and put his fists up.

"Do you want me to go easy on you greenie? I mean it is your first time after all," laughter erupted from most of the boys, one stood with his arms crossed with a passive look on his face.
He didnt respond and just looked blankly at gally before the latter too got into fighting stance. He waited until gally aimed for a punch to the gut and grabbed his fist in his left hand and twisted his wrist, he brought his leg up and kneed him in the stomach. Gally let out a pained groan, the wind had been knocked out of him.  He waited until gally had righted himself before ducking to dodge his next punch and pulled his legs out from underneath him. Gally had become impatient and slightly angry and reached for his arm as he sloppily stood back up, he pulled him towards him slightly and pushed his leg into the back of his knee, causing him to fall to the floor at the edge of the ring, cheers erupted from the crowd around them and he quickly pulled himself up, fists back up to his chest as he waited for the next strike.
"What's wrong greenie? Afraid to hit first?" Gally's face held a smug smirk as the boys around them laughed and cheered. Gally ran forward to push him out of the ring before he dodged out of the way and reappeared behind him, pushing gally - who was still moving due to momentum- out of the circle by his back.

He looked around as he was awarded with cheers from the boys and his eyes met with soft brown ones. Newt's hair caught the light of the fire, making it turn a warm orange colour and a small smile was tugging at the corners of his lips, he tried to hide it but He noticed. He looked away after a second or so and started to make his way over to chuck. As he took a step, his face contorted in pain as he held back to yelp he wanted to make, he brought his leg up towards him and pushed down his sock, blood was leaking  from a cut on the side of his ankle but his attention was on the silver object wrapped around his foot. he sat down and pulled off his shoe and sock to reveal a piece of string circling his ankle multiple times. He slowly undid it, aware of everyone's eyes on him, and held it infront of him. It was a necklace, a loop of rope with a silver moon pendant. He heard said pendant in his hand and rubbed it against his trousers to rid it off the blood. He ran his fingers over it and turned it over when he felt small lines on the back.

The moon and the stars cannot be kept apart
Rosa +polly

Mum. He must have done it to ensure he remembered her, he knew what was going to happen.
She ran her hands down her ponytail, her amber eyes trained on him.A warm smile rested upon her lips as she looked at her son play on a console, swinging his hips and waving his arms too late to get the points, he turned to look at her and gave her a smile that split his face in half.

Polly. A nickname. His nickname. He had vowed never to let anyone call him that again, only she could, that's how he'd know.
"Mama! Tell me another story!" He jumped up and down on his blue bed, his mother stood in front of him, playfully pursing her lips.
"Promise to sleep after?" He nodded his head enthusiastically and scrambled under the covers to show her wouldnt break his promise. "Okay okay alright. How about i tell you the story of your name?"

"What is it?"
"What's going on?"
"It's a necklace!"
"How'd he get that?!" Voices were shouting on top of each other, forcing him back, a flash of emotion crossed his face yet even subconsciously he hid it, two people noticed however.
"Apollo." He murmured under his breath, the voices stopped. Alby couched down next to him and asked him to repeat what he said. "Apollo."
"What's apollo?" Alby asked gently.
"My name, my name is Apollo." His voice was breathless as he spoke, Alby stood up and shouted, "APOLLO!"
His name was echoed back by the others who were whistling and cheering, he sat there for a moment before Jeff led him back towards the med shack grumbling ' i knew I should've made you let me check it earlier'. Apollo would've usually rolled his eyes and make a comment but he was too much in shock to do anything but comply.

Mum

Unedited.

A/n: if there are any grammatical errors please let me know and ill fix them, here's the chapter, I haven't read through again because i wanted to post something, i have ideas for the next chapter tho so hopefully i write that soon. Enjoy
(They/ them today)