6: "𝙸 𝚠𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖 𝚜𝚎𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚞𝚜."

Gasping awake, John B opened his eyes as it was now day time. He held a bruise around his left eye. Hearing footsteps, his brown eyes trailed to the door, seeing his littler sister walking in, fiddling with her hands nervously, Sheriff Peterkin following the girl. Meeting his sister's eyes, she could see the slight pleading look she was giving him. Quickly, he stood to his feet, even though he just woke up, wrapping an arm around his sister's slightly petit figure.

The girl held a black eye, just like him, a slight, small bruise on her cheek and her nose was a little bruised, but not too noticeable.

"Get decent, sweetie. We need to talk." Peterkin informs, the last sentencing, glancing between the siblings.

Reluctantly and slowly, John B nods, gulping a little. Sheriff Peterkin then walks out of his room, the two siblings then facing each other.

"Do you think it's about DCS?" Y/n asks nervously.

She didn't want to be taken away from her brother, even though they had reassured they'd stay together. She didn't want to leave the Chateau. John B noticed how her breathing was becoming faster and quickly cupped her cheeks, making his little sister look him in the eyes.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. It's okay." John B whispers. He knew exactly how she was feeling. "I won't let them separate us. I can promise you. I won't let them. They can do whatever they want to me, but I'll never leave you."

Slowly, Y/n nods, taking a big gulp as John B kisses her forehead, engulfing her in his arms, letting her rest her head on his chest, her slightly smaller and skinny arms wrapping around his waist. Silent tears fall down Y/n's cheeks as they stay like that for a for about a couple minutes before walking out of his room, seeing the sheriff.

"Sorry to break in like this, but DCS called. They wanted me to check on you two. See how you guys are doing. So, how are you kids, besides the--" Peterkin stops herself as she gestures to her face, seeing the noticeable bruises on the siblings faces.

"Oh, no, we're great. Yeah, fantastic. Thanks for coming by." John B replies.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that, John B, but I heard a few things that worried me. Let me see if I can remember." Peterkin murmurs. "Oh, yeah." Peterkin's eyes stop on the picture of their Uncle T. "One of the things I heard was that your Uncle Teddy, your kids guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months."

"Yeah, that's false." John B objects.

"You don't have to say anything. I know it's true. I called the school. They said you, Y/n, were doing good. Not great, but good. And you, John B, they said you used to be a good student, like your sister, but now your failing all your classes." Peterkin recalls, picking up a used cigarette.

"No. No, I'm only failing one, and it's history." John B denies. "The dude's a dick. He's out for me--"

"I heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday," Peterkin cuts him off. "and a gun was involved."

"Okay. Gun? No." John B shakes his head, grabbing his sister's hand as they start to walk past the sheriff, patting her shoulder. "Did we get in a dustup? Yes, but was there a gun? No. No way."

"That's okay. I know who it was. I'll get to him." Peterkin states. "All I'm worried about right now is making sure you two are in a safe home."

John B scoffs. "Yeah, super safe. Super sound, sturdy. You know what I mean? And Uncle T's coming back, so..."

"That's what he told you?" Peterkin asks. "Well if he really is coming home, I think you two should be allowed to stay."

"Thank you." John B whispers.