28: "𝚠𝚎'𝚛𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚗𝚊 𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚊𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚝 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔."

The sun was slowly rising, signaling it was now morning time out as the birds were happily chirping, waking up the many people that were still asleep. Still outside on the docks, the Routledge siblings had fallen asleep after watching the basket with their father's photo float through the small waves.

John B's eyes flutter open, sitting up with a groan, rubbing his eyes by the bright light of the sun. The boy takes a glance down at his sister, seeing her still peacefully sleeping, using a lifejacket as her pillow just like he had done the same thing. The Routledge boy couldn't remember the last time he's seen his sister so peaceful.

She looked relaxed. She looked tired as he noticed the bags underneath her eyes. Softly, John B rests a hand on her arm, rubbing his hand up and down her arm, trying to give her some comfort at the moment, knowing she'd need it. Though he knew he needed enough sleep for himself, he'd rather have his sister be more comfortable than him.

A soft groan escapes the girl's lips as she moves around in her sleep, e/c eyes slowly opening only to squint at the bright sun. Rubbing her eyes, Y/n sits up beside her brother, a yawn leaving past her lips. The siblings only sit there for a few minutes before they finally moved, getting into the campervan.

John B found himself driving back to where they had found the gold. The Crain house. Once they stop in front of the stone wall, the brunette murmurs a small 'stay here' to his sister as he gets out, stopping on her side. Y/n presses the button to open her window, both the brother and sister's eyes trained on the For Sale sign on the stone wall.

Next thing Y/n knew, her brother was sprinting forward, starting to climb over the fence. Cursing beneath her breath, she quickly gets out of the car and follows in suit, climbing up and over the wall as well, both siblings running through the lawn only to stop when they see a wheel barrel just in front of the house.

Both shake their heads, murmuring 'no' continuously when they see the the words 'Cameron Development' on the wheel barrel. John B clenches his jaw in anger, glancing behind him at his sister who was holding shocked wide eyes, staring at the wheel barrel. Eyes going straight forward, the boy rushes inside the small doorway that was beneath the house, Y/n quickly following once she snapped out of her shocked trance.

John B was a lot faster than her as he was already at the well, grabbing a flashlight from his pocket and climbing down without any rope. Crouching down and looking down in the well, Y/n waits for any reaction she'd hear from her brother, eventually hearing him screaming out in anger. Immediately, she knew what that meant.

The gold was gone.

Ward had gotten it.

Shooting to her feet, Y/n let's out a angry cry, kicking a rock and banging her fist against a brick pillar, ignoring the pain it gave her slightly. She didn't care. The gold was taken. They weren't able to finish what their father started.

***

Back at the Chateau, Kiara and JJ had been able to find the Routledge siblings after searching almost the entire island of the places where the two could be at. JJ felt relieved that his girlfriend was okay. The morning was gone and the afternoon was here in the Outer Banks as everyone was now awake on the island, in the cut and in Figure Eight.

The siblings had revealed the news that the gold was gone, that Ward had taken it after selling the Crain house. Both the other Pogues were devastated to hear the news about the gold, but were still very relieved that their two friends were okay and Ward hadn't caught them when they tried looking for him.

As Kiara sat on the railing of the porch and John B was laying down, using a lifejacket as a pillow, Y/n's feet were dangling off the edge of the docks, her hands in her lap as she played with her fingers. JJ sat behind his girlfriend, arms wrapped around her from behind, holding her against his chest, occasionally placing kisses on her shoulder and temple.