O N E

"Sophie!! You were gone for waaaaay too long!" Linh squealed, giving me a hug. It was the last day of summer, and I had just got back from the summer tour. For the world, The Moonlark is an international sensation who went on tour this summer. For the people who 'knew' Sophie Foster she was visiting 'family' for the whole summer.

"I missed you too Linh! How was your summer? Sorry I couldn't stay." I added sympathetically.

"It was the same old, kinda lonely without you though." Linh said, sighing sadly. "I got to go to a Moonlark concert though!! It was AMAZING! She's so talented!" Linh said, her mood slowly rising. Linh was OBSESSED with the Moonlark, she was her number 1 fan. I'm surprised that Linh hasn't made the connection between me and The Moonlark.

"Ugh. Where's Tam when I need him?" I sighed. Tam was on Sophie's side when it came to the Moonlark. Finally Tam walked in.

"Oh! Hey Sophie!" He said, finding us and walking over.

"Tam!" I shouted, running over and giving him a hug.

"Long time no see!" Tam blushed when she let go. Tam and I were kind of the emo kids at school. We both wore black and loved to stay in the shadows. Everyone at school treats us badly about it, but Linh and Dex always defend us. We are all one group.

"Are you guys ready for foxfire?" Linh asked as Tam and I walked back to her.

"Nooooo. I'm not ready for this torture." Sophie groaned. Sophie never said anything to anyone at school, she was scared that they would make the connection and she would never have a normal life.

"Come on. It's only your second year at Foxfire High! We can make brand new impressions!" Linh suggested.

"Nah." Tam and I said at the same time.

"You guys are boring," Linh pouted. Linh was the optimistic one in the group. "Where's Dex anyway?" Linh asked.

"He's still in Bora Bora with his family, so he won't be coming back till a couple weeks. I said, pulling out my iPhone to check my messages.

"Wait, is that the iPhone 11!? The Moonlark has the exact same one!" Linh squealed as she ran over to grab my phone. I knew I should tell her that I was the Moonlark soon, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

"Do you guys want to hang tomorrow?" I suggested checking my calendar to make sure I didn't have plans. "I'm free after school."

"Sure!" Linh squealed. "We haven't hung out with each other for a loooong time!"

"Yeah sure, whatever." Tam agreed.

"Okay then! I have to go now, but I'll text you guys about tomorrow, bye!!" I yelled, putting my phone in my hoodie pocket, and running to my Edaline's car was.

~~~ Timeskip (cuz I can and I'm lazy) ~~~

The only people that know I'm the Moonlark are Edaline, Grady, her stylist, Vertina, and her manager, Mr. Forkle.

"Hey Sophie!" Mr. Forkle said, his face filling up her iPhone.

"Hey Forkle what's up?" Sophie asked.

"Well, I just have to say I'm sending Vertina for you tomorrow so you can get ready for the signing for your new album!" Mr. Forkle said. "It's your third album! Can you believe that three years ago, you were a little twelve year old trying out for the job."

"I know right! Time flies!" Sophie sighed. "Anyway, thanks for the warning, Edaline is making Mallowmelt, and I can't miss it. Talk to you later!" Sophie said, hanging up and tossing her phone on her bed. I ran down the stairs, jumping over the last stair so I didn't trip.

Edaline looked shocked when she came into the kitchen. "You didn't trip?!" She asked, her mouth dropping in awe. My smug smile slipped off my face.

"How DARE you." I said laughing. Edaline smiled and set a plate of Mallomelt on the counter. "Thanks Mom." I said, sitting down and spooning the Mallowmelt into my mouth.

"Sophie, who were you talking with on the phone?" Edaline asked, filling up a plate for Grady.

I tried to say 'My manager' but it came out like, "mof mavajer". Edaline understood me anyway, so I kept talking after I swallowed.

"He told me that I have to go to the signing for the new album." I said, shoving more Mallowmelt into my mouth.

"Oh, good luck. You know how crazy the crowd gets around you." Edaline said, swatting my hand away from the Mallowmelt I was trying to grab.

"Hey," I whined. "I know though. I'm so happy I decided to become the Moonlark, so at least at school I'm not swarmed with people." The door opened to see a very tired looking Grady.

"Dad!" she exclaimed, as she ran over to her adoptive Dad.

"Hey kiddo!" Grady managed to wheeze from Sophie's bear hug. After years of Sophie being adopted, she finally got to learn how to love them like her real parents. Sometimes Sophie would get flashbacks of her parents and sister's death, but Grady and Edaline would be there to help her through the painful nightmares.

That's when Sophie had learned to love.

📖 Macy📖