11) What are we really up against?

"That's what you saw, huh?" 

I snorted, the two of them looking from the red staf on the coffeet table to me. "I'm not making this up, okay? I know what I saw." Alex gradually looked down but Kade kept his cold grey eyes locked with mine for a solid minute, giving a warning growl. "What?" 

He exhaled through his nose, glancing back down then. "This doesn't make any sense." He murmured, edge his fingertips near but then suddenly halted. "Ris was destroyed hundreds of years ago." I exchanged stern yet confused look with Alex, swiveling my eyes back on him as his finger were only inches from it. 

Alex gentle nodded toward it, locking eyes with him. "You know this thing?" 

"Know it? I was best friends with its wielder." He muttered, glancing back at it and withdrew his hand back to his leg. "He was killed and his weapon was destroyed when he unleashed its ultimate talent." He shook his head, rubbing his legs with slight uneasiness in his voice. "This possibly couldn't be the real--a fake more likely." He leaned back forward, attempting to grab it. His fingers were a within an inch away when something red shocked him. He whipped his hand back and growled low; shaking it. 

"You okay?" Alex spoke before I could, Kade examining his finger then all of us looking when a loud crackle came from it, remarkably red currents surging around like water at the spot he was near; quietening and flicking out to nothing. Kade growled, telling me to touch it. 

I scoffed, "I'm not touching it." 

"You said you held it earlier, clearly it won't shock you." His brows tugged down. "Now grab it." I groaned faint, leaning forward on my knees. I hesitated, scared it may changed its mind and shock me as well; sucking a breath in and grabbing it. Warmth surged through my hand and up my arm, seeing it was still same . Kade cursed under his breath, telling me to let go. I placed it back on the coffee table, Kade getting up. 

"Why doesn't it shock her?"

"Because." He stopped, turning back with a dark cloud hanging over him. "It's the real one." He stormed off to his room, looking over my hand. So why was it accepting me? I heard paper rustle, Kade coming back with a atlas book. He nudged Ris near me with it then dropped it on the table, plopping down on the edge of the couch. "I'm still bound to SinRis doesn't belong to me. Dunkelheit Ritter. " He gestured to both of us, both of us shrugging after a moment of silence. He sighed, staring at the ceiling. "German class was so fun during high school." 

"By the way, did you ever graduate?" 

"Valedictorian both high school and college if you gotta be snooty about it." He dropped his hands back on his legs. "Standford, 1889. First Val for that school." He smiled, huffing and closing his eyes then slowly lost his smile. "But no--Dunkelheit Ritter." He opened his eyes on the red staff, looking it over as he faintly spoke. "Means Dark Knight in German. When I become an experiment, I became one of the nine." 

"The nine?" Alex croaked. 

"Yes." He rubbed his hands together, "Most of them have been killed, they couldn't adapt to this modern world. They had powers of gods and size like Godzilla, well, that's what I've been told but they were human looking like I. They are few of us left, Fury or his real name was Aleksxander was bound to Ris. He's the only who knows his true power and what he's capable of, even years of mastering this great thing, it still made him weak after every big fight." 

I blinked, staring down at it. "Sounds like he didn't really know it all of it." 

"I don't doubt you." He murmured, locking eyes with him. He rubbed his hands together, "It took four years to stop getting sick after I used Sin. They're very powerful weapons which it why they're only bound to one person, the only soul they can latch onto. Hence why if I don't get Sin back then yeah." He blinked, swallowing. 

"Who created them?" Alex muttered. 

He sighed heavy, tilting his head to the side. "I really shouldn't be saying any of this--order of the Ritter permits information spilling to the outside world." 

"You're already started so finish." I scowled. 

He growled faint, growing irritated but then the next second his face went blank. He gawked at the coffee table, "Of course." He whispered, shooting up to his feet. 

"Ka-." 

He was already beside the couch before he turned around, gesturing toward me. "You touched Sin, correct?" 

I looked at Alex for a second, "Yes? What are you getting at here?" 

"One of the nine will only let another touch them if they know their wielder's soul. You know me, that's why you could." He shook his hand. "Whoever has Sin fucking knows me! That's the only way they can grab it!" He laughed weakly, grabbing his head. "Why didn't I think about that all this time?" He walked over and grabbed the atlas, picking up and went on flipping through pages. "We have to go through my friend's list." 

"This should be quick." I snorted. 

"I graduated college in 1889." He deadpanned, returning to flipping pages. "I've been around the neighborhood acouple times now." he was already halfway through, intently staring at it. "Narrowing down the list to those who know I am a Ritter and that possess something of great power, narrowing that to the those deaths have been unconfirmed and alive, narrowing to those I've seen in over fifty years, narrowing that down someone has  a stack of money or ways of quick transportation or is something of night dwelling world, and finally!" He dropped the book on the coffee table, holding two fingers up and planting his foot on the coffee table. "Narrowing my resulted down to two people. " He announced, "One is a night dweller and the other is a rich CEO."

"And these are your friends?" Alex squinted. 

I was still sadly mind blown he just basically cleared a whole list out within a minute.  He nodded off the side, "At one point before I crossed them." 

"You're an awesome friend." I rolled my eyes. 

He yelled out, making us jolt. "We're going to the great barrier reef!" 

"How?" I growled, gripping my knees. "You can barely travel with me and now we have alex." I gestured toward the teen kid, Alex looking between us. 

"What if I just stay here and be your guy to search up things, I can look more up on why Ris  has come back." 

I exchanged looks with Kade who cocked a brow at me,  smirking devilish. "We're going visit an old friend." 

Unknown

"They're heading out--should I intervene?" I slowly turned around, scanning the chapel's attic. I wonder what secrets and history were held up in here?

"No, not yet." He muttered. "He's catching on--plus, he's got a widow by his side." 

"Should of killed her when you had the chance." I bluntly huffed, brushing my fingers along a beam. "If we take the widow then he's all ours." 

He lightly chuckled, "I don't know if you realized but they need each other so he would defiantly attack and protect her. Soo no." 

I walked around the beam, peeking around and seeing him sitting in the window with his elbow on his knee as he stared out. He tilted his head down, his blue hair gleaming from the moonlight. He flicked his grey eyes on me, flexing his hand that dangled then pulled into in a fist. "Anyways, he's mine."