Farewell

3 years later...

Mallory

"Chuck, get over here." I fixed my pencil skirt as he came over with his camera. The whole room was filled which built put tension on every one of us, this was one juicy story. I pushed my hair behind my ear once I spotted some security guards coming out. "Keep your camera on the mayor, got it?" I whispered, fixing my jacket as I noticed every other reporter was getting their wings rustled up from the anticipation. When more security guards started to come out, the tension spiked through the roof as the man of the hour stepped into the room. Camera flashed everywhere as the tall man stepped with a calm gait and hand in his pocket while the other waved at us. 

Aiden Damson was his name. 

His body seemed perfectly chiseled into his jet black suit, his dark fire truck red hair slick back. His dark eyes betraying themselves and seemed to give off a warm and inviting welcome vibe, broad jawline and an awe-fainting smile. He stepped up to the pedestal and smiled, "I'd like to thank you all for coming." He licked his lips and looked around the room. "I know majority of us would like to be outside and enjoy this wonderful weather." His smile broadened, gripping the sides of the pedestal. I flicked my eyes on his security guards as he went on, noticing two were having an intent stare down. At one point, one of their lips twitched and snapped his head away. Wonder what that was about. I blinked, slowly returning my eyes on the mayor when he pointed at someone. A man closer upfront lowered his hand. 

"What is your statement on the closings of both Necio's clinics in Hawaii?" 

My eyes flew back on Aiden who swallowed and shifted a little, "I say it's for the better." He leaned a little bit more on the pedestal. "When I found out there was illegal and inhuman testing, I knew something had to be done." He blinked, tilting his head down a little. "Who knows how many lives would've been lost if not." he stood up and tilted his chin up, "Next question." A younger man raised his notepad, pointing at him. "Yes." 

"What do we expect to see in the next couple years?"

"Equality." He smiled. "That is my first key." He looked around the room, "We all know, we can better this place. Our home can be a better one." I raised my hand, staring him down. His eyes flickered on me then, narrowing for a second before nodded. "Yes." 

"What's your plan behind that? What are your resources?" 

He chuckled, sighing softly before ducking to look down at the pedestal. For a solid minute, he stared down at it and began to drum his fingers along the side. Suddenly he tilted his head a little and rose a brow, smiling softly then.  "We all have secrets we can't speak of, my dear." 

Aiden

"Tense questions today." 

"We're walking on a line here." I unbutton my jacket, shooting Alex a calm look. "You knew what we're getting ourselves into." I stopped, Rex and Baxter too behind us stopped. "Someday, this empire will be yours, Alex." I gave his shoulder a squeeze. He glanced down at my hand then back at me, remaining silent. "Trust me--it'll be easier for you, I'm just burning the path for you." I smiled and dropped my hand, starting to walk away. 

"You think anyone will catch onto us?" 

"With that stressful thought stuck on your head--yes." I smiled over at his frown. "You must always be two or three steps ahead of everyone else, Alex." I gave his shoulder and shook it playfully. "Come on, you're going out to lunch with me. Get this stressful slumber off both of our shoulders." We stepped outside, welcomed by more reporters and camera. Offering a smile and raising my hand to everyone, deep down, I wanted to pick up the pace back to the limo.  But no--I was the mayor now. I was the representative of vampires and humans in a small town of hawaii. There was no way I could I pick up the pace, I've done more then dip my toes into this matter. I had to walk with pride, walk with it till it sucked me dry.