4) No turning back..

The hallway felt different.

It felt like someone, well like me, has went down it. But it wasn’tme! I pressed my hand against my temple, I was starting to get headache even from the ride here from the taxi driver with the blaring Indian music. I chewed on my lip as I slowly walked down the aged hallway; I kept getting vibes of electricity or just something dark and dangerous. I was even getting goose bumps. I never got goose bumps, I mean, last time I ever did it was because I heard Dr. Nolind yell for me when I ate his Cornish hen.

The closer I got to the door, the worse the feeling hit my chest. Grabbing the doorknob and slowly twisting it, pushing in. The stench of death hit me, setting me on alarm. Death was literally in my house but where? I let go of the door, opening slowly to multiple cops standing in the living groom. My eyes swiveled to each one, what the hell was going on? Familiar boots hit the wooden floor, snapping towards the kitchen. A growl crept up but stopped at my throat when I saw it was Jake, deeply pissed look with his arms cross. Valerie, keep calm and try to at least act normal. I gulped, forcing my fist to relax at my sides.

“What’s going on here?”I murmured.

“Valerie Materson (oh god, he was duty…which meant he was professional.), where were you at Five thirty-four p.m. tonight?” He walked a few steps toward me, keeping his cold eyes on me. As much anger was there, pain and sadness swam in them. My heart fluttered a little back to the warehouse where the boy helped me, I took a step back when it felt like he was too close; watching him stop then. I swallowed, looking over all the eyes that stared me down. I hated being in the limelight, flicking my eyes back on Jake.

“I…I was with a friend out of town, why?”

“Well, at the time, a Peter Nolind who lived at these residents was-.” Jake now hesitated, seeing angry tears swelled up in his eyes. I hiccupped a breath, seeing he couldn’t even finish it.

“If—if you think I murdered him, I didn’t!” I snapped, taking a step towards him. I would of taken another if it wasn’t for the others sensing the growing tension. His hands balled up into fist, walking up to me and whispered in my ear.

“Don’t you dare lie to me, Valerie. He was the only one that trusted you and kept you safe from me.”

I gritted my teeth and closed my eyes, jerking my head away. “I…did not…” I reopened my eyes back on him, glaring deeply. “Kill him.” I took a step towards him, growling faint so only he could hear. That’s right, Valerie, show whom’s den this is! “I would never kill the one who raised me, no matter how mad I got, my cursed blood would never get the best of me.“Now you.” I narrowed my eyes, fighting my smirk from being visible. “You’re different.” I purred, I saw the fire light up in his eyes. He grabbed my wrist with anger and tightness, hurting me but I didn’t let it show as we glared at each other and pressed foreheads against each other.

He spoke deep and husky, sending tiny prickles of worry along every pore. It washed over me with sickness. “Don’t expect me to keep your little secret safe from the scientific labs and the press.”

I raised my voice, making sure all of the others heard. “Well, then, should I go easy or be a challenge like all your sick hearts crave!” I glared at the other, seeing their faces deepened with anger and shuffled uneasy. They sure wanted to beat the shit out of me too now, Jake jerked my wrist, whirling me around and out the door.

“Where am I going?!” I snapped.

“Downtown.” He snapped back over his bulky shoulder.

“Sure, I’ll clean out your cells for you.” I spoke smartly, receiving a glare from him.