8) Departure...

VALERIE

I was back in the apartment. Nothing was broken, like nothing ever happened at all. Like he was alive and I was still here. I wearily walked into the kitchen, watching him pat the table to sit; warm smile still on his face. Tears pricked my eyes, glancing to see I was still the clothes I was wearing when we went to the black market. Wait..."Kade." I whispered, glancing back at Nolind.

He smiled bigger, making his eyes to squint. "Don't worry, he's watching over you right now."

His voice made me choke up a few breaths, covering my mouth and staring longer at him. "I have to be dreaming." I whispered, slowly dragging my feet closer. "This isn't real."

Nolind chuckled, patting the table a few times again. "Sit, I'll tell you everything you need to know. There's trouble brewing, danger that could hurt everyone."

I swallowed, fighting my tears back as I pulled the chair back; creating a low creak till I sat down without breaking eye contact. I'm scared if I look away, he'll dissapear. He pulled his hand away, joining them and nodded. "Do you remember when you were a little girl, Valerie?"

I swallowed again, nodding stiffly. "How could I forgot?" He smiled, squinty eyed again. "....Was I really just an experiment to you?" I croaked.

His eyes opened, his smile shrinking to a thin one. "Ah, my darling. It was never supposed to be this way."

"But I am." I sucked a breath in, speaking scratchy and quick. Feeling the tears roll down my cheeks. "And now I don't know if what ever attacked me is going to kill me or not in the end. Nobody does."

He frowned now, leaning forward. "What attacked you?"

I sniffled, hesitating to say it. "The black window."

His head jerked back, his hands laid flat on the table now. Concern in those glassy eyes, he glanced down to the table and shook his head. "No..no..no...no one was ever supposed to find her."

"Her? Who?" He shook his head, standing up. I got to my feet, watching him walk away. "Who was she?!"

He stopped his, hearing his heavy sigh even from here. "She was...one of the first experiments at the F.E."

"The first..."

He nodded, turning back to me with a weak smile. "She was the perfect being, Valerie. She could never get sick, never have diseases, never die if anyone ever thought about it." He huffed, glancing to the ceiling. "She was perfect. We had found the cure to immortality."

I fluttered my eyes, trying to understand this. "Till what? Till w-w-what happened?"

"She would react highly to the sunlight. As if in pain." He frowned back at me. "Soon after we took the lights from her room, her heart rate had increased. Everything about her was changing...till..."

"Till what?" I growled.

He looked away. "Till she was what you saw her as."

I snapped my head away, fluttering my eyes and getting flash backs of all the bones I was laying ontop of. "The bones."

"She couldn't die, Valerie."

"No..." I shook my head, "Kade...Kade killed her, I saw it." I snapped back to him, raising my voice. "I watched him! He killed her for me! He used his sin and stabbed her."

"Sin? Kade has it?"

I huffed, throwing my hands up. "No--someone stole the damn thing from him."