chapter ten

chapter ten - november, 1983

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Oh, no," Dustin said as the five of them arrived in the scrapyard. The three boys and Alex were standing close together while

"Oh, no?" Lucas asked, "what's, oh, no?"

"We're headed back home," Dustin said. Alex and Mike looked at each other in disbelief.

"What?" Alex asked, looking surprised.

"Are you sure?" Mike asked as Dustin nodded and turned around.

"Yeah, I'm sure," he said, "setting sun, right there," he added pointing. Alex turned around and groaned in annoyance when she saw the sun was indeed setting. "We looped right back around."

"And you're just realizing this now?" Lucas asked as Alex sighed.

"Why is this all on me?" Dustin asked, as Alex looked at him then at Lucas.

"Because you're the compass genius!" Lucas told him.

"What do yours say?" Dustin asked the three of them. They all looked down at their compasses.

"North," they all said, making Lucas sigh.

"Makes no damn sense," Lucas said, clearly annoyed as Mike sighed.

"Maybe the gate moved," Mike suggested.

"No, I don't think it's the gate," Dustin said as Alex looked at him, "I think it's something else screwing with the compasses."

"Maybe it's something here," Alex suggested, "could it be something to do with this?" She wiggled her fingers slightly, allowing a small red energy ball to appear.

"No, it has to be like a super magnet," Dustin said as Alex nodded and let the energy vanish.

"It's not a magnet," Lucas said, pointing at Eleven. Alex looked at him and furrowed his eyebrows. "She's been acting weirder than normal. If she can slam doors with her mind, she can definitely screw up a compass."

"Why would she do that?" Alex asked, looking at Lucas like he was stupid.

"Because she's trying to sabotage our mission," Lucas said, clearly not liking the girl, "because she's a traitor!" He began walking towards the brown eyed girl, causing Alex to take a step forward.

"Lucas, what are you doing?" Alex asked as Lucas walked closer to Eleven. Alex walked after him, standing beside them both.

"You did it, didn't you?" Lucas asked her, "you don't want us to reach the gate. You don't want us to find Will." Alex and Mike looked at each other.

"Lucas, come on," Mike said, trying to get his friend to leave Eleven alone.

"Seriously, just leave her alone!" Alex added, seeing how nervous Eleven was looking.

"Admit it," Lucas said.

"No," Eleven said quietly.

"Admit it!" Lucas snapped, grabbing Eleven's wrist and turning it around. "Fresh blood. I knew it."

"Lucas, come on!" Alex said, causing Lucas to turn to her.

"I saw her wiping her nose on the tracks!" he said, "she was using her powers!"

"Bull!" Alex snapped, "that's old blood. Right, El?" Alex turned to Eleven, expecting her to agree but she stayed silent. Alex furrowed her eyebrows. "Right, El?" she asked, hoping Lucas wasn't right.