chapter eighteen

chapter eighteen - october, 1984

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"It's gonna be fine," Alex said as the five of them walked into the school and down the corridors. It however, was not fine. Everyone around them burst into laughter as Alex walked in between Mike and Will.

"Oh, my God!" a random student said, bursting into laughter as they watched the boys walk down the corridor.

"When do people make these decisions?" Dustin asked as everyone stared at them.

"Everyone dressed up last year," Will added as Alex looked at him.

"It's a conspiracy," Dustin said as Alex looked at him like he was insane, "I'm telling you."

"Just be cool," Mike said. Two seconds later, a boy walked past them, barging in between Mike and Alex.

"Who you gonna call?" he called, turning around and walking backwards, "the nerds!" Alex rolled her eyes as she put her hands in her pocket, made the energy ball appear and tripped him over. He tripped over his feet and landed on his face as Mike looked down at Alex who smiled innocently.  She walked with Mike and the boys to their lockers and a few seconds later, Max skated past them.

"I'm gonna go to talk to Max," Alex said as she grabbed her books from her locker, "I'll see you later okay?"

"Okay," Mike said smiling. "I'll see you later for trick or treating right?"

"Of course," she said smiling, "Bye." She shut her locker and hurried over to Max who looked up and smiled.

"Hey," Max said as Alex smiled.

"Hey," Alex said smiling.

"I need to give you a nickname," Max said as Alex grinned.

"What you got?" Alex asked.

"Lexie?" Max asked as Alex grinned.

"Sounds good," Alex said chuckling. "I can't really give you one other than Maxie or like Zeenie."

"Zeenie works," Max said as Alex chuckled.

"Well we both got new nicknames," the blonde said as Max chuckled. "Hey, are you doing anything later?"

"No," Max said, shutting her locker, "why?"

"Well," Alex began as the two girls walked down the corridor, "me and the boys are going trick or treating later, and I wanted to know if you wanted to join us." Max smiled and nodded.

"Sounds great," she said, "what time and where?"

"Maple Street cul-de-sac at 7:00," she said as Max nodded. "Just so you know, Dustin and Lucas are planning on asking you."

"The stalkers?" Max asked as Alex nodded.

"Yep," she said, "so feel free to have some fun."

"Oh I will be," she said as the two girls walked into their first class.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Really," Dustin said as the four of them were cycling home in the middle of the road, "everyone dressed up last year." Will had already left school to meet his mother, leaving the four of his friend without him.

"Maybe after what happened last year with Will, made people stop," Alex suggested, none of them noticing the car speeding up behind them.

"Maybe," Lucas said.