chapter thirty nine

chapter thirty nine - july, 1985

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There were fireworks popping and crackling in the distance, people were cheering and the marching band was playing as Alex was sitting on the sofa with her friends surrounding her.

"He said he was building something," the blonde said, her eyes blood-shot and her cheeks tear-stained as she was sitting in between Eleven and Max. "That it was all for me, but I-I don't why."

"Building something," Max began, looking at the blonde before her friends, "is he talking about the flayed?"

"He must be," Nancy said as Alex looked down at her still shaking hands.

"So, he's building an army," Lucas said as he began pacing behind the sofa, "just like we thought."

"Yeah," Mike said as Alex looked at him, "but he's not building this army to spread."

"He's building it to stop Alex," Will said as the blonde looked at him.

"But why would he say just me and not El?" Alex asked confused.

"Because you're the strongest," Eleven said slowly as Alex looked at her, "you're more dangerous."

"Last year, Alex and El closed the gate on him," Mike said, "and I have a feeling that really pissed him off."

"Like, royally," Lucas added.

"And the Mind Flayer now knows that they're the only thing that can stop him, but he knows that Alex is able to destroy him quicker and in a more painful way which makes her the Mind Flayer's number one target," Mike said, "but if she and El out of the way. . . ."

"Game over," Lucas said as Alex looked at them with watery eyes.

"He also said he was gonna kill all of you," she said before she turned to Mike and a tear fell out of her eye and down her cheek, "staring with you."

"Yeah, well, that's nice," Max said sarcastically as the blonde looked at Mike. Alex looked away from Mike and down at her lap as Nancy walked over to the window and looked out of it.

"Do you guys hear that?" she asked as Alex looked at her.

"It's just the fireworks," Jonathon said as Alex stood up and walked to Nancy.

"Billy," Nancy said as she turned to the blonde who was standing beside her, "when he told you this, it was here, in this room?"

"Yeah," the blonde said as they all heard distant thudding sounds. Alex looked out of the window before turning back to Will, who had a hand on the back of his neck. 

"He knows we're here," Will said. The group of eight all ran out of the cabin and down the stairs as they stood on the road. They all stared at the end of the path and saw the Spider Monster pushing down the threes like they were nothing as it let out a screech. 

"It's so. . . ." Alex began as she stared at it, ". . . .ugly." She tilted her head to the left. "Let's kill this son of a bitch."

While Nancy and Jonathon ran towards the shed, the kids all ran back inside and began barricading the cabin as the blonde and Eleven picked up a chair together and put it in front of the door.

"Hey, get away from the windows," Nancy said, picking up a shotgun as the six kids all made their way towards her. The group of eight stood in a circle as they looked around, waiting. The lights began flickering and the plates began rattling as they all began breathing heavy.